Swiss ice hockey player paralyzed after being pushed into end boards

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-being-pushed-into-end-boards/article9447023/

A Swiss ice hockey player has been left paralyzed after being cross-checked into the boards from behind during a second division league playoff game Tuesday night.
Doctors treating Swiss ice hockey player Ronny Keller at the Swiss Paraplegic Centre say he sustained “permanent spinal paralysis” after damage to his fourth thoracic vertebra.
The club said that Keller had not suffered brain damage and was due to be released from intensive care soon.
“He’s awake, able to speak normally and has been informed of the results of the accident,” they said.
In a statement, the Swiss Ice Hockey Association said it was “overwhelmed” by what had happened to Keller.
“He is in all of our thoughts, as are his family and friends,” it said.
On the play in question during the first overtime period, Keller and Langenthal forward Stefan Schnyder are seen racing for the puck into the corner at which point Keller turns slightly to his left in an attempt to slow down his momentum and Schnyder pushes him, driving him head first into the end boards. Keller remained motionless on the ice, reportedly telling officials he could not feel his legs before a neck brace was applied and he was loaded onto a stretcher as fans and players looked on with concern clearly on their faces.
The Swiss league says it has opened a disciplinary case against Schnyder, who has been suspended for the remainder of the season while Swiss media reported that Schnyder has been questioned by police.
Schnyder said he is “haunted” by the incident and regretted his actions, telling the newspaper Blick that his intention was to get to the puck before Keller. At the time of the comments, he was unaware of Keller’s diagnosis.
Langenthal later said Schnyder was deeply upset and was receiving counselling after learning of Keller's condition.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Ban hockey sticks.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Ban Ice!

Seriously though, fucking ouch.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Old time hockey?

lockjaaaaww

All out of Bubble Gum.
Apr 26, 2008
bohemia, ny
once they ban making contact with opposing players the sport will really be fucked.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
If I'm ever paralyzed I hope my brother puts me down like I made him promise.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010