Switching email addresses?

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
I could have sworn there were these services around ten or fifteen years ago, that would automatically respond to anyone who emailed you at your old email address and ask them to update to your new email address.

I'm trying to switch, but I don't want a bunch of spam or anything like that: anybody know of any programs that'll automatically do this for me?

Devo37

Sep 11, 2010
Queens, NY
easiest way i can think of, is to check if your old email allows you to auto-forward all messages to your new address. if so, set it up to forward everything to your new address (it shouldn't forward any spam, since it never gets to your inbox to begin with).

then send your contacts an email from your new address and tell them to use that in the future (best way: send TO: <your new address>; BCC: <all of your contacts>)

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Why not just put a "vacation" autoreply using your own email address to make it look like it's one of those companies doing it.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
easiest way i can think of, is to check if your old email allows you to auto-forward all messages to your new address. if so, set it up to forward everything to your new address (it shouldn't forward any spam, since it never gets to your inbox to begin with).

then send your contacts an email from your new address and tell them to use that in the future (best way: send TO: <your new address>; BCC: <all of your contacts>)
Doing this is probably the best way to select who gets your new email address. The forwarding option is in the settings tab of most email services. On your new service, you can even set up a filter so that all the email from the old address is sorted into a separate folder.