Tablet without a PC?

NotSoFast

Apr 23, 2006
Thibodaux, LA USA
I have an older aunt that doesn't have PC in her house. She'd like an iPad to surf the net with and do other mundane tasks with. Since she doesn't have a PC to manage her iTunes on and sync it to, I know that the iPad wouldn't do her any good. Would a Windows or Android tablet be any better for her? Or should I just suggest a cheaper laptop? I was hoping a tablet without having to link it to a PC would be better for her since it'd be lighter and easier for her to interact with (touch screen vs. tiny touch pad or mouse on a laptop).

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
IOS now allows direct syncing to update it. If she buys books from Kindle or the ibooks store, apps, music and movies from itunes, she doesn't need a computer, just a wireless connection.

What types of activities would she use a tablet for?

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
Other then to root i have yet to connect my Asus tf300 to my computer and I really have no reason to what so ever. And I believe they will be about $300 or less very soon. And the best part is no iTunes

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
My acer iconia android tablet gets connected to my PC to transfer movies, tv shows, and books to it, but it can just as easily stream the movies & tv shows, and books & music can easily be downloaded and synced from the sites themselves. I love my tablet; for a lot of day to day uses it def. beats out my main PC or my laptops.

NotSoFast

Apr 23, 2006
Thibodaux, LA USA
My aunt came over on Thanksgiving. She ended up going for an Acer 17.6" laptop for about $500 on HSN. She wanted their 4 flex pay plan.

jakubr

New Wackbag
Dec 20, 2012
I think just iPad would be enough. But small laptop might also be a good idea. I would personally go for the iPod though.