Taco Bell tests the waffle taco

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
As long as it's not the Blue Waffle Taco. (You should totally google that)

Taco Bell's waffle taco debuts in O.C.; have you tried it?

• Email

Taco Bell is introducing a waffle taco in Orange County. (Lawrence K. Ho / Los Angeles Times / May 13, 2013)
Related photos »​

By Laura E. Davis
May 13, 2013, 8:28 p.m.
Before you have your Fourth Meal, you need to eat a First Meal. That’s where Taco Bell’s waffle taco might come in.

The fast-food chain is testing a breakfast item in Orange County in which a waffle acts as a taco shell filled with sausage and scrambled eggs. Instagram user @sarah1ch5 appears to have broken the story on the photo-sharing site.

The waffle taco is being tested after the success of Doritos Locos Tacos, which feature taco shells with the nacho cheese and cool ranch flavors of the popular chip brand.

The waffle taco is priced at 89 cents. But Brand Eating, which discovered the Instagram photo of the taco, reports that price might change because it’s a currently a test item.

Want to try it for yourself? You can get it at 2246 S. Grand Ave., Santa Ana, CA 92705. If you try it, we want to know how you liked it. Tweet us a photo with your quick review @latimesfood.

We’re going to attempt to get our hands on it Tuesday. Meanwhile, one review -- from the Instagrammer who found the taco -- is already in: #itsdelicious.
http://www.latimes.com/features/food/dailydish/la-dd-waffle-taco-20130513,0,2673238.story

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
That looks disgusting.

How about just a fucking breakfast burrito?
I'm still pissed Dunkin stopped selling those.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Taco Bell, do yourself a favor and learn from Starbucks' mistake. Stick with what you do best and forget about creating a breakfast menu. Mcdonalds has that on lock down and nobody is breaking into that market.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
Does it come with fried chicken and maple syrup?

Gorilla Pimp

Popped a molly i'm sweatin, WOO
Nov 2, 2009
Mobile, AL
When i was a kid I used to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with eggo waffles as the bread.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
When i was a kid I used to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with eggo waffles as the bread.
I kinda did that, except I just had one waffle with peanut butter and one with jelly and I ate them separately.

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
What kind of froo-froo shit is that?

Is that art? Cuz I don't always know what art is.

They actually filmed the Taco Bell scene in the cafeteria at my work because it's a futuristic-looking building. They kitted up the adjacent wing of the cafeteria as a Sharper Image storefront with a bunch of bizarre-looking futeristic Sharper Image-type nonsense products. Not seen in the movie though. The outdoor quad area you see through the windows was where Dennis Leary and his rebels burst out of the "sewers".

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
Apr 6, 2005
I Will Pay Snakes To Bite You

They actually filmed the Taco Bell scene in the cafeteria at my work because it's a futuristic-looking building. They kitted up the adjacent wing of the cafeteria as a Sharper Image storefront with a bunch of bizarre-looking futeristic Sharper Image-type nonsense products. Not seen in the movie though. The outdoor quad area you see through the windows was where Dennis Leary and his rebels burst out of the "sewers".
Thank You.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
New Taco Bell ad: Even Ronald McDonald likes our breakfast

Enlarge Photo

Taco Bell
Taco Bell's breakfast menu rolls out nationwide Thursday.

Reporter- Business First
Email | Twitter
Taco Bell takes direct aim at McDonald’s Corp. in a new advertisement.

California-based Taco Bell first fired a shot at the burger chain in October when David Novak, CEO of Taco Bell’s parent company Yum! Brands (NYSE: YUM), announced that Taco Bell would roll out a breakfast menu nationwide in 2014, Business First reported.

The menu, which includes a waffle taco and A.M. Crunchwrap, debuted in Taco Bell locations across the United States today.

McDonald’s (NYSE: MCD) has long dominated fast-food breakfast with its Egg McMuffins and hash browns.

To drive home the point that its foray into breakfast is a direct effort to compete with the burger chain, Taco Bell has rolled out a new television ad featuring men named Ronald McDonald talking about how much they like Taco Bell’s various breakfast offerings.

Of course, Ronald McDonald is also the name of McDonald’s clown mascot, who has been around since the 1960s.

Near the end of the ad, words at the bottom of the screen indicate that none of the Ronald McDonalds are affiliated with McDonald’s.

But the message is clear.

I noticed the commercial on Hulu.com, which broadcasts television shows online. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to track it down on Taco Bell’s YouTube page or website Wednesday evening.

I wonder if and when McDonald’s will shoot back?

Fast-food chains such as Burger King Worldwide (NYSE: BKW) and The Wendy’s Co. (NASDAQ: WEN) have tried to take on McDonald’s but failed.

But Taco Bell seems to be on a roll with product innovation.

Just look at Doritos Locos Tacos.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
You can't fold a waffle and call it a taco shell. That's a folded waffle. I used one slice of bread and cold cuts and folded one end on top of the other- is that a taco sandwich?

But there is a good point about breaking into breakfast burritos.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
You can't fold a waffle and call it a taco shell. That's a folded waffle. I used one slice of bread and cold cuts and folded one end on top of the other- is that a taco sandwich?
It's not a folded Waffle. Go ahead and try to fold an ordinary Eggo waffle and see what happens. The son of a bitch will snap right in half. Even if you get a soft, mushy waffle and fold it in half it's going to spring right back to it's original flat form. This is a waffle that is created in a curved shape that looks nothing at all like a taco shell. But it's curved. "Curved Waffle With Eggs and Sausage" is harder to order at the Drive Thru than "Waffle Taco."

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
It's not a folded Waffle. Go ahead and try to fold an ordinary Eggo waffle and see what happens. The son of a bitch will snap right in half. Even if you get a soft, mushy waffle and fold it in half it's going to spring right back to it's original flat form. This is a waffle that is created in a curved shape that looks nothing at all like a taco shell. But it's curved. "Curved Waffle With Eggs and Sausage" is harder to order at the Drive Thru than "Waffle Taco."
Eggos. Pathetic.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
If I'm going to Taco Bell at 8 AM, it's because I want something off the regular menu.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
If I'm going to Taco Bell at 8 AM, it's because I want something off the regular menu.
When I go to Taco Bell at 8am, it's because I want a valid excuse to call in sick to work. I.E., shitting my brains out for the rest of the day.