Talk about the show: reviews for Opie

Oct 8, 2003
Chicago, IL
Opie said he popped on the board and saw we weren't talking about the show. So he could see what people liked or not. So here's a quick review of the last few weeks for Opie.

• The show in general has been great; it's never been better. A great balance of news, comedy and abuse. And Opie is the funniest he's been in years.
  • The Car Crash Comic-off, to win a spot on to open a Virus Show is a fantastic idea and can't wait to hear more comic come on to bomb or not.
  • I hate Twitchles, but it was great to hear that closet homo get a cakey bag mashed in his face.
  • I like that the free speech talk has been cut down drastically and the show has gotten back to 'putting on a show', rather than having to defend itself in earshot of the media.
  • The Strangest Thing You Own stunk. It was a failure simply because no one brought in anything all that strange. Not as good as the first from years ago, but would like to hear TSTYO 3.
  • Rock Scream Tuesday, Cat Noise Wednesday, Phone Call Thursday, all the absurd theme days are great additions. The silliness of it all just cracks me up. The only thing that is getting old is the callers "meowing" instead of a rock scream to "trick the show" (the caller ruin everything).
  • Marge from the little shelter is always fantastic and I hope she keeps calling in. Talking about smashing kitten head makes me giggle.
  • Boiled Meat Barbeque was pretty good. Great idea that could get more disgusting with each year. A new annual event for the show.
  • The days before a Virus Tour Show with comics on are fantastic.
  • I didn't like the making of Big Boy Made A Doody. It took so long to set up and film; which was all visual until it was on break.com a day and a half later. The audio of people taking a shit is much funnier.
  • The Mike North crossover call stunk. I don't want to hear a call into a show and then become friends instead of attacking. Because in the end, North kept bad mouthing O&A after the phoner.
  • Louis CK has been amazing on the show and I'm glad he's in the comic rotation.
  • Rick Shapiro might be funny, but I can't listen to the stuttering. It was beyond annoying the day he was on (2nd appearance).
  • Not enough bums. Since the Homeless Charlie thing, there hasn't been any homeless on the show. I'm sure to rest the bit since things went so wrong last time, but the show is missing homeless people. I'd like Charlie back, but at least grab Tippy Tom or another bum. Drunk bums are always funny on the show and haven't had one in a while.
  • Bring back bad guest day. It might be another bit that's being rested, but it's missing from the show. Bad guest: Star Wars guy is still one of the best bits ever.

okterrificsk2

Oct 26, 2004
Review number 1:

Opie gets way to annoyed by negative intant feedback to the point of derailing the show to address it. take the instant feedback machine away from Opie.

oppsie daisy not really a review.

niklbag

Hooked on chronic worked for me!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
Jersey
the only critique i have for the opster is when he forgets what hes about to say he just goes "uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh" till someone else jumps in. but he killed on fridays show so... whatever

i may have misunderstood the point of this thread.

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
I prefer not even posting about the show on Wackbag. I'm not gonna be the "Fan win an opinion" guy. For as long as I'm posting on Wackbag, I'm loving the show.

Ren5150

Linger Longerer
Aug 1, 2001
Actually, this week was one of the best in a long time. The excitement of Jimmy's book and the YSP visit added alot.

Kenny reading the plugs should be a daily thing. Same for the Tool Tickets bit. Mean Opie is radio gold.

Earth2murf

HATES EVERYONE!!!
Apr 2, 2005
Rotten County NY
i like when Opie mentions that fan sights talk about everything but the show...oh yea i pooped green the other day

GLENN_THE_TOOL

The reward is cheese.
May 23, 2005
my only critique of the show of recent is that they were driving the day themes into the ground (Pot Talk Monday, Rock Scream Tuesday, etc.), but the really dumb ones like Phone Call Thursday and Cat Noise Wednesday and Ant's exasperation with them saved the bit. aside from that, i don't have any complaints.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
If you failed to see the humor in driving Pot Talk Monday, Rock scream Tuesday, etc bits into the ground... maybe you should listen to Steve and Preston or Tom and Jeff. :action-sm

Seriously though, the show has been making humongous strides in bringing the funny everyday, IMO. Sure some parts get a little slow, but like life so it goes.

Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, NY
"something is missing from this write up about DL Hughely" - Jim Norton
"yeah, but they buried that word" - Opie

hilarious

MelissaY1

Resident Star Fucker
Nov 28, 2005
NY
I've really been enjoying the show a lot lately. Excellent interview with Michael Moore recently, great in-studio stuff, I even enjoyed the WYSP days and I normally don't care for the on the road shows as much but these were enjoyable.

Ronreddog

Unofficial O&A Twitter Tough Guy
May 11, 2007
Sunny Florida
The Philly shows were outstanding! I particularly enjoyed Wednesday's show, when they went from the studio to the Lagoon, sat in with Barsky, and then later, sat in with Kidd Chris! I know it was a busy day for them, but, they are gold!

Thanks for continuing to bring the best radio show to the air for all of us, you guys RULE! :clap: :clap: :clap:

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
"I guess he died without ID".

I'm going out on a limb to predict Op gets line of the day two days in a row within the next two weeks.

Turfmower

Jan 17, 2005
Jersey
The show needs more theme days.

ASK PROFESSOR ANTHONY Fridays

Call in and ask your Science Questions. ex If I'm driving my 67 AMC Rambler with points and condenser and there is a nuclear explosion and my car get hit wth an EMP bast, Will it still run?

chewonmysac

I paid the extra two Bucks
Jul 19, 2003
Martinsburg WV for now
More bad guest days please. I love that cringy feeling better than a roller coaster.

The Car Crash Comic-off is brilliant. Could be best idea this whole summer. This winner will no doubt get the booing of his life.

a little bit less Preston and Steve. Fuck them who cares about Philly's market . You are national boys. They are water on a duck's ass.

blueribbie

registered dick hole
Jun 16, 2006
I like racist humor. I do miss the wide open environment of truely tasteless racial humor, but at the same time it is funny hearing them skirt around it these days. Op's quote about the N word on the coffin (that the guy must have died without any ID on him) was perfect.

I don't like gay humor. One man licking another man's bag is not funny, it's just gay. It may be shocking and offensive- but to me it's just fucking gross and gay.

Big Boy makes a Doody sounded forced. Most great break.com videos are spontaneous funny-ness that get caught on film. I agree with CokeLogic that the endless setup killed the bit.

Overall the show has been great lately. There's a fresh energy with boys and it sounds great. I like it when the fellas just have a good time and don't worry about the negatives. I think a lot of the bitching should stay off the air and behind the scenes.

Johnny Cakes

Obama president Nah!
May 3, 2006
Central NJ
A lot of good stuff last week, but " I guess he died without ID" was the high point for me. Pretty good for just a board-op.

I laffed and laffed.

Clocktower

Watch the tower, listen for the shot
Apr 11, 2005
H-Town Tejas
I am not sure this can be done, but I would like to see some instances where someone is hurting the show, and getting called directly on the carpet for it. When the "lawyers" stop something from happening, I think we need to have someone from CBS/XM explain why. The most sensible person is Tom C (CBS) or WIcky (XM'irus). And then have them give out their email address when they state why something can't happen.

ILOVEUWxx

Cacalog fisherman
Feb 25, 2002
Lowell, MA
Opie said he popped on the board and saw we weren't talking about the show. So he could see what people liked or not. So here's a quick review of the last few weeks for Opie.
  • The show in general has been great; it's never been better. A great balance of news, comedy and abuse. And Opie is the funniest he's been in years.
Agreed for the most part.
  • The Car Crash Comic-off, to win a spot on to open a Virus Show is a fantastic idea and can't wait to hear more comic come on to bomb or not.
Agreed.
  • I hate Twitchles, but it was great to hear that closet homo get a cakey bag mashed in his face.
Twitchels is pitiful.
  • I like that the free speech talk has been cut down drastically and the show has gotten back to 'putting on a show', rather than having to defend itself in earshot of the media.
Absolutely agreed.
  • The Strangest Thing You Own stunk. It was a failure simply because no one brought in anything all that strange. Not as good as the first from years ago, but would like to hear TSTYO 3.
Agreed.
  • Rock Scream Tuesday, Cat Noise Wednesday, Phone Call Thursday, all the absurd theme days are great additions. The silliness of it all just cracks me up. The only thing that is getting old is the callers "meowing" instead of a rock scream to "trick the show" (the caller ruin everything).
Agreed, although some of the "meows" are funny.
  • Marge from the little shelter is always fantastic and I hope she keeps calling in. Talking about smashing kitten head makes me giggle.
Agreed.
  • Boiled Meat Barbeque was pretty good. Great idea that could get more disgusting with each year. A new annual event for the show.
Agreed.
  • The days before a Virus Tour Show with comics on are fantastic.
100% agreed.
  • I didn't like the making of Big Boy Made A Doody. It took so long to set up and film; which was all visual until it was on break.com a day and a half later.
Agreed.
  • The audio of people taking a shit is much funnier.
COMPLETELY agreed.
  • The Mike North crossover call stunk. I don't want to hear a call into a show and then become friends instead of attacking. Because in the end, North kept bad mouthing O&A after the phoner.
Agreed. That fuckin guy sucked.
  • Louis CK has been amazing on the show and I'm glad he's in the comic rotation.
100% Agreed.
  • Rick Shapiro might be funny, but I can't listen to the stuttering. It was beyond annoying the day he was on (2nd appearance).
I'm still undecided about Rick. The stuttering would be more tolerable to me if it was acknowledged.
  • Not enough bums. Since the Homeless Charlie thing, there hasn't been any homeless on the show. I'm sure to rest the bit since things went so wrong last time, but the show is missing homeless people. I'd like Charlie back, but at least grab Tippy Tom or another bum. Drunk bums are always funny on the show and haven't had one in a while.
I'm kinda okay with the "Bum : Guest" ratio for now. Tippy Tom fuckin aggravates me. I liked when they would fuck with those worthless pieces of shit on the walkover though.
  • Bring back bad guest day. It might be another bit that's being rested, but it's missing from the show. Bad guest: Star Wars guy is still one of the best bits ever.
Bad guest day is fucking PRICELESS. I loved the Doctor that called up a while back (I think it was the one that revealed that he got his license yanked), they showed only enough mercy to keep him on the line long enough to get fucking destroyed. Excellence.
Great summary cokelogic, sorry for the lack of original ideas on my part.

Sevenyars

I own a Beanie cup, bought it off of ebay
Nov 30, 2004
Lancaster Ohio
I know opie needs affirmation for the show. But I hope that the fans reaction from May 15 to June 15 was enough to let him know the fans like the show.

Feb 3, 2006
Pennsylvania
If you failed to see the humor in driving Pot Talk Monday, Rock scream Tuesday, etc bits into the ground... maybe you should listen to Steve and Preston or Tom and Jeff. :action-sm

Seriously though, the show has been making humongous strides in bringing the funny everyday, IMO. Sure some parts get a little slow, but like life so it goes.
The shows been good lately but sorry the repeating off shit has to end. The days of the week bit should stop. We get it, your making fun of other shows doing it, but after a few weeks , it's just an excuse to take up time and not do other stuff. Sorry but would much rather hear them just tlking about new stuff than hearing callers do stupid screams into the phone or meowing. Don't understand how that is funny after you hear it a few hundred times. So go ahead and tell me how much of a non fan I am, because I don't agree with 100% of what they do, I don't care, just pointing out things are funny a few times but after a while, there not. Over all give them a grade of B.[/I]

stillbornstew

blogging loser
Jul 26, 2005
NOLA
i lack the qualification and intellect to critique a radio show. it's been funny since i started listening back in '99. they must be doing something right b/c i still listen.

ChiDiddy

Mar 16, 2007
Hell, CO
1. Opie is the shit (I mean he coulda been a model)

2. Anthony is the shit (sieg heil)

3. James Norton is the greatest comedian alive.

4. Themed days (rock scream tuesday) is one of the best bits in a while, especially when you think about when they came around... Can't say anything about the suspension/controversey and cannot risk offending.

5. Agreed. Angry Opie is comedic gold.

6. I have never done more/gone to more lengths to listen to the f-n radio in my life. The Opie and Anthony Show is one of the best vehicles in entertainment today!

Lillibaby

AFRO's Littlest Baby...
May 15, 2007
1.Oh my god...thank youthankyouthankyou for bringing up Rick Shapiro....I was so annoyed by his fucking stutter I almost jammed my foot into the fucking radio. I didn't get the Hitler bit at all...I just have no patience for people with speech impediments. I hope they never bring him back on the show again.

2. I actually love all the fake rock screams/calls that are just meows. Something about grown men making childlike noises...

3. Opie's always been really witty, but I can't stand it when he does his throaty laugh, like he's having a perennial cold or something.

4. Some of the "Days" that are just there in name but never really done anymore after the first time (Camel Toe Thurday, Mispronunciation Fri, etc.) could be tossed out, IMO.

5. I definitely agree with the "less free speech rants is more gooder" stuff.

6. I loved it back when it seemed like they picked on E-Rock almost every single day because of his weight. More, please! (and definitely more Sam inclusion...he and Than are brilliant at dry humor)

7. Louis C.K. should be 3rd or 4th mic more often!

Overall, the show seems to be getting back into the old groove, after that whole debacle in May. Keep it up, bbboys...

(Oh, I forgot: No more Brother Wease!)

frago

I am Jacks raging bile duct
Apr 27, 2006
What show are we talking about? ,,, oh ... uhh......wait, what?