Talk to me about VOIP...

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I'm considering dumping the traiditional phone line in favor of VOIP to save some cash, since I've got 15MB FIOS service. Our current Verizon phone service costs $44.99/month. I know Vonage is $20/month cheaper. But, are they going to end up going away due to the Verizon lawsuit?

As tech-savvy as I am, I never paid attention to anything VOIP related so I've got some questions.

Any recommendations, either way?

Can I backfeed from the VOIP adapter into the existing house wiring so all of our existing phones will work?

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
I was under the impression that when Verizon installed FIOS, they pulled the existing copper lines and your phone service went on fiber. You still have you copper service?

People I know who have Vonage, love it. Vonage offered all kinds of value added services and number portability options. From what I've read, Verizon really has Vonage against the wall, however it happened, it looks like Vonage used propriety technology in its network.

Here in NYC, I'm still waiting for FIOS, the second they offer it, I'm signing up but, I want to keep my copper line. After the blackout several years ago, my phone was the only electrical item that worked. For me it's a safety / security issue.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
They do pull the copper but your landline comes in over the fiber and there are terminals on the ONT just like the old NID for your existing house wiring to connect to. This is done outside, at the ONT so it's not VOIP. It works like and costs as much as any other Verizon landline.

You don't need to keep the copper line. The ONT has a UPS that will give you llimited phoneline functionality during a power outage. If you're paranoid, go buy a big UPS and plug it in behind the other one.

What year is this? Don't you have a cell phone? ;)

Vonage looks good because for that $24.95/month you get unlimited calling and it includes European countries like Italy. My wife's mother was born and raised there and still calls people over there periodically. If we get Vonage, she could call as often as she wanted.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
The ONT muxes it all together.

You can backfeed the the dial tone through the house but make sure you break the bridge out at the ONT.

Different VOIP providers have different call qualities, reliability, and features. Shop around.

gotta run and do a favor for promises of sex later...I'll be around later to answer questions.

Nothing Sound

Riding the Biggest Wave
I've had Vonage for just about 3 years now.
The calls are crystal clear and I've never had any major problems.
I have it set up so that if my home network goes down for any reason
the calls are automatically forwarded to my cell phone.

I have the $14.99 plan. Comes with all the bells and whistles plus 500 minutes.
I barely use 100 minutes a month on my home line. My old phone bill was like yours,
around $45 a month. I can't even tell the difference.

D

DirtDog

I've been using a VoIP company called Lingo since 2004, and have been very happy. The plan I have is $23 a month and I get unlimited calling to North America and Western Europe. My wife is from Germany and can call everyday.

I'm using a D-Link DVG 1402 router, so I just plug the phone in and it works perfectly. I tried Vonage and was pleased with the service, but went with Lingo because of the Western Europe plan.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Vonage has a similar plan now, as I mentioned. So, I think we might give it a shot. The only thing I don't like is they give you a router/adapter combo. I don't need a fucking router. I got a router, and I have to use the router I have because it's the Verizon-supplied router that runs my FIOS TV as well as the internet connection.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Depending on how much you plan to use it, you might want to check out something like Skype. You can get adapters to connect the house wiring. Ends up being less than $10 a month for unlimited calling and a regular phone # for incoming calls.

Vonage rocks over comcast cable internet, even better than Comcast VOIP. You will love it.

funnybonez

Registered abUser
I had vonage for 2 years.. Only problems that I had was a bad router = no service or a blackout = no services. But, like the fella above said you can redirect to another number, or you can have simu-ring where it rings your phone and phone numbers you tell it to ring. But, I heard that they are not allowed to take on new customers because of the lawsuit?????

Aero 1

SKype!!! you get the unlimmitted calling and a phone number from skype for about $60 a year then you get this thing: http://www.buy.com/prod/actiontec-v...r-skype-usb00020c-01a/q/loc/111/10402058.html

hook it up to your computer, then hook up the phone part to one of your phone jacks (make sure you cut the phone "network" from the ONT) and now you can make calls from any phone. Since you are a tech guy, i am sure you have a computer running 24/7, so install skype and that unit to it.

Ive been doing it for a year, much better than vonage (i had vonage), and plus if you are on the road, you can take your house calls anywhere where you log in to skype (it will still ring at your house and anywhere where you are logged into skype).

sniper

Front, and to the right...
Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
I would suggest skype since there are now a lot of phone manufacturers that make Skype-ready phones, but if you go with a voip service, and backfeed it, be sure that when you cut the feed from the ONT, put button splices on each the tip and ring wires to keep them from oxidizing and producing static later on.

I use Comcast's digital voice, which basically is voip, just with comcasts own switch, and has a battery backup and still 40% cheaper than verizon in my area.

Ren5150

Linger Longerer
I was under the impression that when Verizon installed FIOS, they pulled the existing copper lines and your phone service went on fiber. You still have you copper service?

People I know who have Vonage, love it. Vonage offered all kinds of value added services and number portability options. From what I've read, Verizon really has Vonage against the wall, however it happened, it looks like Vonage used propriety technology in its network.

Here in NYC, I'm still waiting for FIOS, the second they offer it, I'm signing up but, I want to keep my copper line. After the blackout several years ago, my phone was the only electrical item that worked. For me it's a safety / security issue.
You dont need the copper for VOIP. You can use VOIP over FIOS. DOnt know if Vonage ismgoing to last but there are other options. You basically hook the VOIP adapter to your router and then into your house wiring. Nothing real difficult to do other than making sure the VOIP adapter doesnt screw with your FIOS router.

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
The thing that has kept me away from getting any type of VOIP service for my primary phone is the way it is really hard for 911 to tell where you are calling from.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Vonage has a similar plan now, as I mentioned. So, I think we might give it a shot. The only thing I don't like is they give you a router/adapter combo. I don't need a fucking router. I got a router, and I have to use the router I have because it's the Verizon-supplied router that runs my FIOS TV as well as the internet connection.
You don't really need to take their router/phone adapter combo. They offer a D-Link VTA, which is simply a telephone adapter that you plug into your existing network. I have that one, and I'm very happy with it. I also have the motorola VT2542, which is a wireless router with phone adapter, but I don't use it. (actually, I also have two other, older adapters, but I've retired them.)

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
sniper said:
be sure that when you cut the feed from the ONT, put button splices on each the tip and ring wires to keep them from oxidizing and producing static later on.
My old man is retired from VZ, and I do cabling work all the time. :) Believe me, I know.

I had VOIP for a while using AT&T CallVantage and went back to a traditional landline. I had a number of problems with compatibility (it didn't like wireless phones). Also, I had a lot of latency on my Internet connection so the call quality blew.

It wasn't worth the cost savings at all.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
I'm not doing the Skype thing because I don't want it to be tied to a PC. Yes, there's always a PC running 24/7 (this one). But I do alot of "fucking around" with this machine, meaning it gets shut down and rebooted alot, used as a test bed for other hardware, etc, etc, etc.

Verizon has their own VOP service called Voicewing but it's apparently someone else's shit and they are just marketing it. And the deal isn't as good as Vonage. Who knows, maybe with the lawsuit Verizon might end up owning Vonage.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Also, I had a lot of latency on my Internet connection so the call quality blew.
That's why AT&T is lobbying for tiering. They plan on setting a QOS across their network for packets of a time sensitive nature. They also want to charge to sell the ability to others.

Top Bottom