Task force, training planned after Long Island noose incidents

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
October 19, 2007

GARDEN CITY, N.Y. _ County leaders planned to create a bias crimes task force and 2,000 town employees were to undergo diversity training as officials deplored a series of nooses found on suburban Long Island.

While authorities have suggested some of the nooses may be the work of copycats, "it doesn't take away from the magnitude of what the event is," Corey Pegues, the president of the Long Island chapter of the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives, said early Friday. "When you put out a noose ... you're looking to inflict fear and severe emotional distress on a whole group of people."

"This is not a game to us," said Pegues, whose group planned a news conference on the issue later Friday.

A noose was discovered Thursday on a fence at a Long Island public works garage, a day after two nooses were found at another community's highway department garage. Late last month, a noose was found hanging in the headquarters of a third municipality's police department. All were within the town of Hempstead, in Nassau County.

While it was not known who committed the acts, Hempstead Supervisor Kate Murray announced Thursday that the town's 2,000 employees would undergo diversity and sensitivity training. Nassau County Executive Tom Suozzi said he would convene a bias crimes task force to be co-chaired by his police commissioner, Lawrence Mulvey.

"All of us have a stake in stopping these hate crimes," Suozzi said.

The discoveries were among a number of recent incidents, locally and nationally, involving the symbols of lynchings in the Old South. The nooses also furthered a recent spate of apparent hate crimes around the metropolitan area.

In New York City, two men were arrested Thursday in what police called a racially charged attack on a black man in Staten Island.

Detectives also were investigating reports of a spray-painted swastika discovered Thursday morning on a sign outside a Queens synagogue, and of swastikas found Wednesday afternoon written in chalk on the walls of a Manhattan high school, one of emblazoned with, "Hitler is back."

Nooses were found earlier this month on a black professor's door at Columbia University and outside a post office near ground zero.

"It looks like copycat syndrome is in full bloom," said Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly.

On Long Island, the latest noose was discovered at about 6:45 a.m. Thursday inside a Nassau County Department of Public Works facility in Baldwin, said DPW Commissioner Ray Ribeiro. The facility, which he described as "a typical road maintenance garage," has about 50 to 60 employees.

An employee who found the 18-inch noose hanging off a chain-link fence, Ribeiro said.

The incident followed the discovery Wednesday of two nooses inside a Hempstead Town garage in nearby Roosevelt, an ethnically diverse community in central Nassau County. One was wrapped around the neck of a green, stuffed, cartoon gremlin-type figure with black tar on its face. The other, larger, noose was dangling from a forklift.

"We have to have zero tolerance on something like this," Murray said after a prayer service with about 30 clergy members and others.

Last month a noose was found in the locker room of the Hempstead Village police department.

In the small town of Jena, La., racial tensions began rising in August 2006 after a black student sat under a tree known as a gathering spot for white students. Three white students later hung nooses from the tree. They were suspended by the school, but not prosecuted.

Nooses also have been found at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in New London, Conn.

Aug 11, 2005
ok, ny is officially insane . Its a rope,
a rope

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
'Diversity Training' may well be the dumbest term I have ever heard.

Task forces are for the mafia and drug dealers, not bored wise-ass teenagers.

I guess all the people the world over throughout the history of mankind who have been hanged don't count, right? Because only black people were, is that what they are saying?

Ok, I got it now. At first I thought this was insane, but now it makes perfect sense :icon_roll :nuts:.

Treat_Yourself

Nov 17, 2006
Christ. They're putting together a task force because some folks will be offended by a rope? I guess it's more important to tackle the issues that offend black folks than to tackle the violent crimes that kill black and white and hispanic folks.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
They made us go through a diversity training seminar at the courthouse. It was the biggest waste of time.

The Town of Hempstead noose incident was a little more creative than the others - they actually tarred a gremlin before putting it in the noose.

But Opie's right - if the media were to stop making these incidents their lead stories the idiots would just crawl back under their rocks.

Sprite

permanent case of the Moooondays
Apr 27, 2005
Jersey
I bet Mr. Norton's views on "diversity training" are as good or better than those he has on "sensitivity training".

Linger longer!

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
They made us go through a diversity training seminar at the courthouse. It was the biggest waste of time. ......
I hear ya on that. I learned to never open my mouth in those classes. I just sit there day dreaming the time away.

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
A noose should only be news if there's a neck in it.