Tattle-Tale Hotline For Immigrants

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I thought this was interesting, I saw the story this morning on one of the news networks. So this lazy Sheriff has basically set up a tattle-tail line, where if you think you know where an undocumented immigrant is or have a "feeling" someone might be an undocumented immigrant you call the hotline and rat them out.

Doesn't this scare anyone? I guess it's not exactly like the Red Scare or something like that, because in this case there would be some actual proof of whether or not the person was an undocumented immigrant, but cmon. Like the article says, you can just report anyone you want and they'll be looked at. Pissed off at a girlfriend, report her, pissed off at the girl who won't fuck you, report her...
I want to get a hold of the number and just "Ona Party Rock!" it.

Nation of pussy tattle-tails

Judi Villa and Yvonne Wingett
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 21, 2007 12:00 AM

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio on Friday launched a hotline for Valley residents to report information about undocumented immigrants.

Details of exactly how the hotline will work and which tips will merit further investigation have not been ironed out. Officials say they aren't sure how many and what types of calls will come in.

Still, Arpaio said deputies would investigate people only if they had "probable cause."

"We want evidence," Arpaio said. "We're not going to go on a street corner and round up a group of people because they look like they're from a foreign country."

The hotline is part of an expanded immigration enforcement plan Arpaio unveiled. In another part, about 160 sheriff's deputies, cross-trained to enforce immigration law, will saturate Valley cities and roadways to find and arrest those who are here illegally, the sheriff said. The deputies now have broad powers not only to question people about their immigration status during traffic stops, but also if they commit even a minor infraction, such as littering.

Arpaio stressed that people would only be questioned if deputies came across them "in the course of our duties."

The efforts come as Arizona officials have been trying to crack down on illegal immigration and on the heels of a new state law that would fine and threaten the licenses of businesses that knowingly employ undocumented workers. Experts say the federal government's failure to pass immigration reform is spurring more local governments to act on their own.

Payson's Town Council, for example, passed an ordinance in April that requires all its businesses to sign an affidavit stating that all employees are legal residents. Business owners who refuse to sign the affidavit won't receive a license, said Payson Mayor Bob Edwards.

In the Valley, members of the Phoenix Police Department and the Arizona Department of Public Safety also have completed Immigration and Customs Enforcement training and can act as federal officers. But those agencies say the intent is to break up human- and drug-smuggling rings and other border-related crime groups.

Arpaio began arresting undocumented immigrants in March 2006, targeting them under a controversial interpretation of the state's anti-human-smuggling laws. Since then, Arpaio has been expanding his efforts to turn the Sheriff's Office into "a full-fledged anti-immigration agency." On Monday, 64 ICE agents will be deputized.

"We want to go further," Arpaio said. "It's important to put the resources into this fight if you're serious about it."

The hotline is believed to be the first of its kind in the country, and some say it is troubling.

Although the hotline is supposed to field calls about criminal activity, like loads of immigrants being smuggled into the Valley, some critics said Friday they fear it opens the possibility that neighbors, former lovers and others also could turn each other in. Critics also wondered if it could lead to racial profiling.

"It makes every citizen, by proxy, an immigration cop," said Muzaffar Chishti, director of the Migration Policy Institute's Office at New York University School of Law. "This hard-line (plan) is a direct line on vigilantism," he said.

Maricopa County Supervisor Mary Rose Wilcox said she approves of Arpaio's enforcement plan, but not the hotline.

"I think a lot of innocent people will get caught up in this, just because their skin's brown," Wilcox said. "We just need to make sure we're not violating people's civil rights, or get into racial profiling. The county may open itself up to a lot of liabilities."

Arpaio insisted deputies would not engage in racial profiling but would target those contacted during routine patrols and investigations. He said he isn't encouraging people to turn in their neighbor's nanny, although he said, "Neighbors should be calling in when they see a crime."

The line is an effort to get residents "to join the fight," he said. "We can't do it by ourselves."

County Supervisor Don Stapley said Arpaio's plan is necessary to help reduce the flow of undocumented immigrants and the costs on local governments. The plan, he said, could become a model for other counties. "More power to him, I hope it helps," Stapley said.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
Arizona sure is different from where I live.

Here in North Jersey there are spots in almost every town around me where like 50 of them wait for someone to pick them up to work every morning. They stand across the street from the Police station in my town for Chrissakes. This has been going on for as long as I can remember. You could run up to them yelling "Inmigración!!", and they wouldn't even blink.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
Yes, NJ does seem to like their muster zones, but when the day laborers won't dissipate and use the zone for public intoxication, it irritates the legal residents. A lot of residents are fighting the criminals & their support groups, and the town officials are stuck in the middle. God forbid they be called "racist" by the law breakers.

Southtown

Aug 10, 2004
Maybe what they should do is say if anyone one here is legal and worried about being lumped in with the illegals and harassed about it, should go to the station and prove there legal status. Then they will be put on some kind of list for the police to cross reference when someone calls thinking so and so are illegal.

But of course that would be too much work for the legal people to do. They would rather complain about being profiled then doing something proactive about it and help.

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
Jul 29, 2005
Cupcake Capital, USA
I thought this was interesting, I saw the story this morning on one of the news networks. So this lazy Sheriff has basically set up a tattle-tail line, where if you think you know where an undocumented immigrant is or have a "feeling" someone might be an undocumented immigrant you call the hotline and rat them out.

Doesn't this scare anyone? I guess it's not exactly like the Red Scare or something like that, because in this case there would be some actual proof of whether or not the person was an undocumented immigrant, but cmon. Like the article says, you can just report anyone you want and they'll be looked at. Pissed off at a girlfriend, report her, pissed off at the girl who won't fuck you, report her...
I want to get a hold of the number and just "Ona Party Rock!" it.

Nation of pussy tattle-tails
What you're saying about this isn't really fair. I'm sure if you reported a person it would take them about 2 seconds to figure out whether or not the person was an American citizen. It may be counter-productive of them because there are always those nosey old ladies that will report everyone, but i don't think it is necessarily a bad idea.They want to report people commiting crimes, not their neighbor's nanny, like the article says. If you see 40 Mexicans waiting in Home Depot's parking lot and none of them can speak english and they all just hop in the bed of someone's truck for the day there is a good chance they aren't supposed to be here. That isnt' profiling or racism that is the truth.

Coffee Diva

Female? Nope. Meaty-breasted? You betcha!
"It makes every citizen, by proxy, an immigration cop," said Muzaffar Chishti, director of the Migration Policy Institute's Office at New York University School of Law.
"I find this new '9-1-1' telephone system to be very troubling. It makes every citizen, by proxy, an arm of law enforcement," said Heywood Jablome, director of the Stuff Stealing Institute at New York University School of Fail.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
i would tattle in a second
Ditto ...

Maricopa County has one of the highest influx of illegal immigrants in the country. I guess Arpaio is doing what he thinks he has to do to try to stem the tide. Zero tolerance is a hell of a lot better than the alternative which are the stupid "sanctuary cities" around the country - New York City (thank you David Dinkins) & Virginia Beach are two that I know for sure & I think all of Nassau & Suffolk Counties here on Long island, but they exist in every state. If an illegal gets arrested or even stopped by a cop for any reason, that guy can't be held in custody on the basis of his immigration status alone. I could be wrong, but I don't even think that his status can be used to consider whether or not to grant bail.

We need more Arpaio's in this country to get the job done....isn't he also the sheriff that makes the inmates in the county jail wear pink jumpsuits & sleep in unairconditioned tents?