Tax Preparer Mistake

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Some of you no doubt know that sinking feeling when you get that fat envelope from the IRS in August. It's never a good thing.

Turns out my tax guy completely left an entire W2 out of my 2009 filing (I get paid from a few different companies most years).

It's not the end of the world but the tax, penalties and interest are about $3600.

It's a blatent screwup since the W2 he didn't report was stapled to the others so he had his fucking hands on the thing, he just never figured it in.

Now I agree the tax should be paid by me but shouldn't he pay the interest and penalties? I've yet to talk with him and ask what his policy on this is.

Also, should I soooooo fire him? He took over for my old guy and this guy is hard to reach and kinda snotty but it's hard to find someone good.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Well, before you fire him see how he handles the situation. Most CPAs would pay the whole thing, including the tax you owe personally just to make up for the mistake.

But yeah, if he doesn't at least make you whole on the penalties and interest, beyond firing him you've got more than enough to sue him for damages.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Yeah, see how he handles it. What people who work for you do when they make a mistake is more important than trying to stop them from making mistakes in the first place, since that's impossible. If he doesn't fix this in a satisfactory time, shitcan his ass and hope you can find someone better.

blee

Will Drink Today
Dec 9, 2004
western ny
At least you got yours in August.
I got my letter on Christmas eve last year and it put a dent in my holiday spirit.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Well, before you fire him see how he handles the situation. Most CPAs would pay the whole thing, including the tax you owe personally just to make up for the mistake.

But yeah, if he doesn't at least make you whole on the penalties and interest, beyond firing him you've got more than enough to sue him for damages.
Penalties and interest sure but what damages?

LiLJimmysHog

Professional negative prick
Dec 18, 2005
I say F it. Don't pay the taxes. What are they gonna do to you if you don't?:icon_eek:

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Penalties and interest sure but what damages?
You're losing time to deal with the issue later, exposure to the IRS, you paid him a fee to do the initial returns, etc. Also, if he tries to buck you on fixing it right away (free of charge), you could get into punitive damages as well.

I'm obviously no attorney, but these are all pretty typical things cited in disputes between two small businesses. (Which, if you have multiple returns and contract a CPA, that's essentially what you are)

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
The IRS will also wave these charges, you'll still owe the taxes, but the interest and penalties will be forgive, if they don't do it contract your Representative & Senators offices

Aug 27, 2002
Bensalem, PA via Souf Philly
I'm with everyone else. See how he handles it. Their errors and omissions policy should cover it as it is not your fault.

This may seem like a silly question, but did they sign the return in the tax-preparer section or is it just signed by yourself?? You may be fucked if they didn't.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
I'm with everyone else. See how he handles it. Their errors and omissions policy should cover it as it is not your fault.

This may seem like a silly question, but did they sign the return in the tax-preparer section or is it just signed by yourself?? You may be fucked if they didn't.
He put his firm's stamp on it but it was e-filed. I do have the copy with his stamp and the e-file was done through his office.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
One of the first things that twat Sebilius did when she became gov of KS was direct the audit of all state employees. I got gigged for two years of my tax preparer not counting my state retirement properly. No fees or interest, just the owed tax. I sure as fuck told them about it though.

I haven't filed my own taxes since I was old enough to go to prison for tax fraud for a reason...

Badfinger

I shot the sheriff
Apr 26, 2006
Philly Burbs
If he agrees that he screwed up, he'll probably cover the interest and penalties. On the other hand, he might claim that you never gave him the W2. If he plays that game then he's a schmuck.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Just a followup: my preparer said he'd pay the interest.

Not happy abou it bug the tax was mine to pay anyway.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
I got a nice try letter this year for 2009...I gave a flexible spending account that I put 5K in for childcare...It saves $1700 in taxes..And then I also too a $600 deduction for my child...oops...double dip...I got a bill for $617...and felt like an ass..

Nice to see he is paying the interest..It's not TOO outrageous if you pay it right away, but I would LOVE to find out where I can invest my money to earn the same interest rate as the IRS

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
I know this one from experience: no matter who prepares your return, YOU are solely responsible for its content. Your preparer should be able to get them to remove the penalties, but you still owe the taxes, and a "non-payment" penalty over time. I'm wrapping up paying back taxes from 10 years ago (don't ask). I'm still paying "non-paid" penalties from back taxes that are long paid now. It sucks.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Just a followup: my preparer said he'd pay the interest.

Not happy abou it bug the tax was mine to pay anyway.
I'd call it an acceptable resolution if it were me.

I'd use someone else next year, but I would consider the matter satisfied with the current guy.