Taylor vs. Pavlik

mendozathejew

mik3

fornicating madly
This is probably one of the best 18 month spans for boxing in a while.

I'm hyped for this fight and Kessler/Calzaghe.

mendozathejew

This is probably one of the best 18 month spans for boxing in a while.

I'm hyped for this fight and Kessler/Calzaghe.
very very true.

I wish you could get all the people who cry 'boxing isnt good anymore' to watch the castillo corralles fights, the marquez vazquez fights, every pacquiao fight especially with morales, and the taylor pavlik, calzaghe kessler fights coming up

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
One of the few fans of boxing and not MMA here...

I can't wait for this fight. Pavlik destroyed Miranda in his last fight and Miranda is damn good.

sobi

I actually cut some photos for this fight last week and it got me curious. This Pavlik guy is supposed to be good?

mendozathejew

I actually cut some photos for this fight last week and it got me curious. This Pavlik guy is supposed to be good?
very. watch the highlight I posted from his last fight. the guy he beat was supposed to roll through everyone.

mik3

fornicating madly
Pavlik +110 looks good to me.

mendozathejew

tough one to bet on. especially with Taylor. many would argue he was given gifts both times against hopkins, against winky wright, and even cory spinks. its amazing how press row has differed with the judges (and hbo's commentary team) in jermain taylor fights.

askewcore

Why am I Mr. Sparkle?
Great fight. Gotta love winning back the money I lost on Mr. Perfect's shitty pick and them some on a great fight. And, am I the only one who thinks the scorecards were fixed? I thought Pavlik was controlling alot of the fight and had him up by a point or two and all the judges had Taylor way far ahead. Pavlik's jab and straight right hand really just overwhelmed Jermaine I think.

pnigga

hold my hand, dane
haven't yelled this loudly at the outcome of a fight in years. I jumped up and down screaming when I saw Pavlik rock Taylor with that right hand. fucking awesome.

mendozathejew

Great fight. Gotta love winning back the money I lost on Mr. Perfect's shitty pick and them some on a great fight. And, am I the only one who thinks the scorecards were fixed?
jermain taylor is immune to scorecards. he barely laid a glove on bernard hopkins and recieved 2 decisions. its amazing, he has phenominal explosion in his punches, and judges dont seem to care if they land or dont. and they usually dont.

great fight. both fighters showed alot, they can both take a hell of a punch. Pavlik is the real deal. the rematch is supposed to be at a higher weight, like 164 or 168. and I hear that Pavlik is much fresher, and has more more bounce in his legs when he doesnt have to cut all the way to 160. but Taylor might want fight at 160 for the titles in the rematch.

for all the people that think there arent good boxers anymore, your missing out on fights like tonight.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Great fight! Pavlik showed a lot of heart after the knockdown.

peopleselbow

YiChen BuddhaChrist
What else is there to saY. Great fight alll around. Boxing still has the potential to be the most exciting sport.

Now I am looking forward to November 3.

mik3

fornicating madly
Some of the cards had Taylor up by four. So he was going to steal another decision even if Taylor would have got up from the knockdown.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Great fight last night. Taylor really punched himself out trying to knock out Pavlik. Pavlik put it on Taylor, showed he is truely a force to be reckoned with. I was glad to see Taylor at least knock him down. He hasnt shown any power in his last few fights. Overall that was the best boxing match i have seen in a looooooooooooong ass time.

mendozathejew

Overall that was the best boxing match i have seen in a looooooooooooong ass time.
its was great. and it being the middleweight undisputed title means even more.

did you see Vazquez vs Marquez 1 and 2 from this year? they were very very similar to this fight, but maybe technically better skills. worth downloading from worldboxingvideoarchive or watching on youtube

mendozathejew

Steve Kim, from Maxboxing.com

A VICTORY FOR BOXING

Kelly Pavlik's knockout win over Jermain Taylor for the middleweight crown was about a real fighter with a real manager and a bona fide promoter, who was properly nurtured and developed as a prizefighter.

Pavlik is what boxing needs. He's a pleasing fighter who will bring fans wherever he fights. Unlike his fallen foe, he's not an HBO creation who has a glorified booking agent for a promoter that was just living off their network annuity to line their pockets twice a year.

The bottom line is this, you can't develop a fighter on a network. Taylor's development has been forever stagnated by a series of puzzling matchmaking decisions and his relative inactivity the past few years. As much as some powers-that-be try and expunge promoters from the scene, Pavlik and Bob Arum show why they are absolutely necessary. HBO tried to shove Taylor down the public’s throat and it eventually came with a strong backlash. He went backwards as a boxer and an attraction.

But on this night, no amount of HBO cheerleading (sans Larry Merchant, who seemed to be the only who was grasping what was going on), the crutch of Punch Stats and questionable judging (more on that later) could save Taylor. What Hopkins, Wright and Spinks couldn't do versus Taylor - which was leave it out of the judges’ hands - Pavlik did. There were no question marks here, just an exclamation point provided by the native of Youngstown, Ohio.

It'll be interesting to see the fallout from Taylor's loss. Will Lou DiBella and Emanuel Steward, who were so dismissive of Pavlik coming in, take turns throwing each other under the bus as they did this past May after the Spinks fight?

But none of that is really necessary. Pavlik is just the superior, more polished prizefighter. No, he's not the better athlete, but last I checked, this was professional boxing, not the NFL combine, American Gladiators or the Superstars competition. When it comes to fundamental skills and having a certain feel in the ring, Pavlik is a cut above in almost every category.

Outside of the second round, Pavlik would out-jab Taylor consistently, his right cross was much straighter and sharper, he parried and rolled with many of Taylor's incoming shots, while Taylor took shots square, which eventually wore him down and out.

But Taylor has to be given credit. In this defeat, in the eyes of many observers he earned more plaudits for this performance than his other subsequent title defenses. It's just a shame he was never fully developed. He'll always be a better athlete than boxer.

In a month that was filled with postponements and cancellations, boxing needed a fight like Pavlik-Taylor.

But what boxing really needs are a few more Kelly Pavliks.

'BAD DECISION' AVERTED

You gotta hand it to Taylor, if he does have one great skill in the ring, it's the ability to turn every judge that sits ringside at one of his bouts into Eugenia Williams or Dalby Shirley.

The reality is that Pavlik didn't just stop Taylor by landing a few hard shots in round seven; what took place there was the residual effect and build-up of the consistent work that was done offensively by Pavlik.

It was work that obviously was given no credit by judges Guido Cavalleri, John Stewart and Julie Lederman, that had Pavlik down by three, three and five points, respectively.

http://www.maxboxing.com/kim/kim100107.asp

peopleselbow

YiChen BuddhaChrist
I watched the fight again and can't believe how many shots Taylor took to the left temple. I always hated how he kept his hands low, like Ali, and he paid for it dearly against Pavlik.

maz

TRueWDTer
just watched the replay
that was a fine boxing match
and the distortion of Taylor's face was fuckin' painful
to see

Top Bottom