Team USA To Be Decked Out in Uniforms Made in China

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
[h=1]Team USA To Be Decked Out in Uniforms Made in China[/h]

Image Credit: Ralph Lauren/AP Photo

They are the pride of America — Team U.S.A. — and for the opening ceremonies of the Summer Olympics in London, they’ll be proudly wearingred, white and blue, from beret to blazer.
The classic American style — shown in an image above — was crafted by designer Ralph Lauren. But just how American is it?

When ABC News looked at the labels, it found “made in China.”

Every item in the uniforms that the U.S. athletes will be wearing at the opening ceremony in London will carry an overseas label.

Nanette Lepore, one of the top U.S. fashion designers, said she was shocked that none of the uniforms had been made in the states. Further, Lepore said that it was “absolutely” possible that the athletes could have been outfitted in U.S.-made clothing. She said U.S. manufactures could have easily made the uniforms — and for less.

Here’s how much the uniforms cost:
Men:
Beret – $55
Tie – $125
Belt – $85
Shirt – $425
Blazer – $795
Trousers – $295
Shoes – $165

Women:
Beret – $55
Scarf – $58
Belt – $85
Shirt – $179
Skirt – $498
Blazer – $598

“Why shouldn’t we have pride not only in the American athletes, but in the American manufacturers and laborers who are the backbone of our country?” Lepore said to ABC News. “Why? What’s wrong? Why was that not a consideration?”
ABC News reached out to Lauren and the U.S. Olympic Committee and asked why American-made clothing had not been selected for the athletes.

The committee said: “The U.S. Olympic team is privately funded and we’re grateful for the support of our sponsors. We’re proud of our partnership with Ralph Lauren, an iconic American company.”

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/07/team-usa-to-be-decked-out-in-uniforms-made-in-china/
:smackhead:

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
*gasp* As opposed to everything else we buy?

Devo37

Sep 11, 2010
Queens, NY
berets are terrible. only old ladies and frenchies wear them (aside from the military units that wear them, where they are also terrible).

the only proper US olympic hat:

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
This story might have been outrageous maybe 10 or 20 years ago. Nowadays it just seems par for the course.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah, I heard about the outrage by various politicians. I wonder if any of those scumbags realize that the Olympic team is privately funded, so shyster politicians don't get to decide what they wear.

Further, Lepore said that it was “absolutely” possible that the athletes could have been outfitted in U.S.-made clothing. She said U.S. manufactures could have easily made the uniforms — and for less.
This person is retarded. He/she actually works in the garment industry, and still doesn't realize that it's not about how much the clothes cost? Nike and Ralph Lauren are paying the US Olympic committee to have the athletes wear their gear, not the other way around, stupid.

I don't even think there is a sportswear company that makes its products in the US, let alone one that could afford to sponsor the Olympic team.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, I heard about the outrage by various politicians. I wonder if any of those scumbags realize that the Olympic team is privately funded, so shyster politicians don't get to decide what they wear.

This person is retarded. He/she actually works in the garment industry, and still doesn't realize that it's not about how much the clothes cost? Nike and Ralph Lauren are paying the US Olympic committee to have the athletes wear their gear, not the other way around, stupid.

I don't even think there is a sportswear company that makes its products in the US, let alone one that could afford to sponsor the Olympic team.
Also, it's NOT cheaper to make it in the u.s., why does she think they were contracted out to china in the first place? Fuck. Pretty much the only reason left for american goods is specifically because they're american. And i'm sure she wouldn't have minded getting the contract.

jimmyslostchin

Malarkey is slang for bullshit isn't it?
Jun 8, 2005
NJ
Those look like something out of a Robin Williams bit about a fashion designer making military uniforms. Yuck.

My issued ACU's were made in the DR, according to the tag. Not sure where my old woodland BDU's were made. I think the couple of extra pairs of ACU pants I bought when I needed them were made in the US, but for the life of me I have no idea where those are to check the tags.

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
May 4, 2005
Long Island NY
Goods made in China are obviously cheaper to produce although that gap is closing faster than people think. The slant middle class is getting a bit smarter.

Although the Chinese government's idea of union negotiations is "you won't see him no more".

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Such a non story. Are the Americans supposed to bring their own water for the pools too?

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Here’s how much the uniforms cost:
Men:
Beret – $55
Tie – $125
Belt – $85
Shirt – $425
Blazer – $795
Trousers – $295
Shoes – $165

Women:
Beret – $55
Scarf – $58
Belt – $85
Shirt – $179
Skirt – $498
Blazer – $598
Those prices (and outfits) are inexcusable. Blazers shouldn't cost $700+ even with international shipping.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Those prices (and outfits) are inexcusable. Blazers shouldn't cost $700+ even with international shipping.
but it only cost .50 and a bowl of rice for some little kid to sew it all together.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Imagine if someone on the US team refused to wear the official ceremonial uniform, he / she would get a lot of attention for themself and would be a "hero" to a certain segment of the population

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Imagine if someone on the US team refused to wear the official ceremonial uniform, he / she would get a lot of attention for themself and would be a "hero" to a certain segment of the population
I could give a fuck less if they wore the uniform or not. They look like shit anway.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Everyone there worked hard for a chance to be at the Olympics. Why would they blow that for being "a hero to a certain segment of the population"?

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I could give a fuck less if they wore the uniform or not. They look like shit anway.
Uniforms are bullshit.

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
US Olympic designer Ralph Lauren says future uniforms to be produced in US starting with 2014 Winter Games -

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
US Olympic designer Ralph Lauren says future uniforms to be produced in US starting with 2014 Winter Games -
and by then all will be forgotten about this years hullabaloo

and we probably had an obligation to buy from the chinks as I am sure the money we are spending for the whole olympic team is borrowed from them

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
and by then all will be forgotten about this years hullabaloo

and we probably had an obligation to buy from the chinks as I am sure the money we are spending for the whole olympic team is borrowed from them
The money who spent on them? The Olympic committee is privately funded.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Not to bring up an obvious point, but, How much gear the USA athletes are using/wearing when competing is USA made????