Teen killed in Drive-by outside Newark courthouse, blocks away from the new Arena

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
A teenager who was killed in a brazen rush-hour hail of bullets next to the Essex County Veterans Courthouse Wednesday night was in a car that had been linked to other shootings earlier in the day, law enforcement sources said yesterday.

The Essex County Prosecutor's Office identified the dead youth as Shaquan Solomon, 17, of Newark and asked for help from anyone who might have seen the shooting take place at South Orange Avenue and Rider Court at about 6 p.m.

Solomon was in a green sedan that was riddled with bullets from an apparent assault weapon fired from another vehicle as it traveled east on South Orange Avenue, authorities said.

The stricken vehicle traveled about five blocks before turning left and coming to rest on Martin Luther King Boulevard between the Essex County Hall of Records and Essex County Historic Courthouse. Some of the bullets struck windows in the courthouse.

The victim was found slumped over in the front seat of the car with four bullet wounds, authorities said.

"We're hoping someone saw this incident," said Paul Loriquet, a spokesman for the prosecutor's office. "It was lousy weather, but we still think visibility was pretty good."

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
They should have built that arena in Elizabeth. Fuck Newark.

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
Guess the ra......ah, forget it.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I'm going to go on record right now and say this. You give it a couple of months, that area around the arena, will be one of the safest in NJ.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Like the Tweeter Center in Camden, count on a massive police presence for any event there.

It happened near MLK Blvd. Who saw that coming?

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Like the Tweeter Center in Camden, count on a massive police presence for any event there.

It happened near MLK Blvd. Who saw that coming?
Pretty much. Plus I think the city planners have alot more planned for that area, than just building a new arena. The arena is the just first step in cleaning up that area and making the new "it" area.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I agree just like someone said with camden and yankee stadium....
I can testify about Yankee stadium, during the 80's and 90's, I used to live up the block from stadium. The area around the stadium, gradually got better when the team started winning and when Bratton was the police commishoner. With the new stadium going in and the projects planned around the area, its bound to become the new "it" area in NYC. Right behind Downtown Brookyln.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
The Rock can go either way at this point. I've been to the PAC and it's one of the safest places when there's an event. There's always a ton of cops. The arena can be the same, but one drive by a few blocks closer & I see it going to shit.

Sprite

permanent case of the Moooondays
Apr 27, 2005
Jersey
WHERE'S AAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL :icon_roll