Televison shows fell flat or you lost interest in

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
I'm watching the pacific over again and Jon Seda has a staring role in the show as SGT John Basilone. It got me to thinking about another show he was in, Treme. Now I'm a huge David Simon fan, I thought the first season of Treme was okay, so I decided to watch the second when it premiered. I got to the half way point and realized the show was going nowhere. I could never get back into it, I still don't know why I stopped watching it.

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
Warehouse 13.

it felt like the show was never going to iron out it's kinks.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Dexter, i punched out after the John Lithgow season. I just couldnt get into it after that.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Warehouse 13.

it felt like the show was never going to iron out it's kinks.
I punched out of Warehouse 13 when they started doing in-show Prius informercials.

Jericho got so blah in season 2. I also second Treme as a show that I lost interest in very quickly.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Lost. I made it two seasons and into the third before I realized I was no longer enjoying it.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Lost. I made it two seasons and into the third before I realized I was no longer enjoying it.
I'm getting kinda spoiled watching anime. I'm getting used to shows that are over in 13 or 24 or 50 episodes tops (20 minute episodes too). I'm watching the longest show I've ever checked out and it is 74 episodes, so the equivalent of a 3 season 13-episode hour long show.

Looking back at Lost or looking at something ongoing like Walking Dead just feels like they just keep going on force of inertia. Like Walking Dead doesn't feel like it is building to some finale to the story. Eventually they'll end the show but there is no vision of how that is going to happen exactly (it also depends on actors dropping out and other real world things). I've gotten accustomed to shows being designed as having X amount of episodes from the get go, which allows for much better pacing. Even Game of Thrones feels a tad like that because despite knowing that it is progressing on a track, that story isn't finished either, so we are again proceeding with no apparent end in sight.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I'm getting kinda spoiled watching anime. I'm getting used to shows that are over in 13 or 24 or 50 episodes tops (20 minute episodes too). I'm watching the longest show I've ever checked out and it is 74 episodes, so the equivalent of a 3 season 13-episode hour long show.

Looking back at Lost or looking at something ongoing like Walking Dead just feels like they just keep going on force of inertia. Like Walking Dead doesn't feel like it is building to some finale to the story. Eventually they'll end the show but there is no vision of how that is going to happen exactly (it also depends on actors dropping out and other real world things). I've gotten accustomed to shows being designed as having X amount of episodes from the get go, which allows for much better pacing. Even Game of Thrones feels a tad like that because despite knowing that it is progressing on a track, that story isn't finished either, so we are again proceeding with no apparent end in sight.
It's one of the reasons I miss Buffy and Angel. Aside from brilliant writing, each season had a definite arc. Sure lots of different stories were told along the way, but there was a central conflict, a "Z" to get to from the "A", and a solid conclusion to each season. On top of that, these season arcs were wrapped up into the overall arc of these central characters growth and learning how to deal with who, and what, they are. When both series ended, I didn't feel cheated. Even with Angel, which was forced to be cut short, they sucked it up and designed a final season that gave closure.

Most series just seem to ramble.

Even Game of Thrones feels a tad like that because despite knowing that it is progressing on a track, that story isn't finished either, so we are again proceeding with no apparent end in sight.
And, to be fair to the show, I'm not sure Martin knows the meaning of the word "concise."

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Boardwalk Empire. I want to like it. I should like it...but I never want to watch it and now I have 20 episodes on my DVR. I may just start watching this fall with the new season and fill in the gaps online, because I have no desire to watch 20 hours of that world.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
It's one of the reasons I miss Buffy and Angel. Aside from brilliant writing, each season had a definite arc. Sure lots of different stories were told along the way, but there was a central conflict, a "Z" to get to from the "A", and a solid conclusion to each season. On top of that, these season arcs were wrapped up into the overall arc of these central characters growth and learning how to deal with who, and what, they are. When both series ended, I didn't feel cheated. Even with Angel, which was forced to be cut short, they sucked it up and designed a final season that gave closure.

Most series just seem to ramble.
That's exactly right. Even a 24 episode anime is usually divided into 2 cours (for some reason a half season of 11-13 episodes is called a cour in the anime world. Not sure where that term comes from) that connect to each other but usually the "mid season finale" has some kind of resolution or twist that sends it down cour 2 for the second half.

And, to be fair to the show, I'm not sure Martin knows the meaning of the word "concise."
From the get go I knew those books would be hard to adapt. Lord of the Rings was too much for the visual medium, and ASoIaF throws way more information at you that is presently relevant. Tolkien's depth comes more in the form of lore and other related info, in ASoIaF it is names you need to know, alliances you need to understand, history and geography are more important to the actual story etc.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
That's exactly right. Even a 24 episode anime is usually divided into 2 cours (for some reason a half season of 11-13 episodes is called a cour in the anime world. Not sure where that term comes from) that connect to each other but usually the "mid season finale" has some kind of resolution or twist that sends it down cour 2 for the second half.

From the get go I knew those books would be hard to adapt. Lord of the Rings was too much for the visual medium, and ASoIaF throws way more information at you that is presently relevant. Tolkien's depth comes more in the form of lore and other related info, in ASoIaF it is names you need to know, alliances you need to understand, history and geography are more important to the actual story etc.
I've only seen the first season, but i have no idea how anyone who hasn't read the books can follow what is going on.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I've only seen the first season, but i have no idea how anyone who hasn't read the books can follow what is going on.
It's hard to step into the shoes of someone who hasn't read them, but I have to imagine a lot of the subtext is lost. I personally look at it more like a companion to the books than its own thing. Like without the books it isn't as effective. Lord of the Rings, on the other hand, probably works better as a stand alone entity (especially the Director's Cut trilogy).

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
(for some reason a half season of 11-13 episodes is called a cour in the anime world. Not sure where that term comes from)
Explanation is kinda sad, actually. In Japanese "quarter" is written as クール (cu--ru; they love to just get rid of the last syllable, with loan words from English).

I guess people on American fansites wanna be Japanese so bad (or just wanna make their subculture inaccessible to outsiders) that they refuse to spell quarter properly, when discussing anime in English. Hence, "cour" became a thing.

There are many examples of things Japanese took from English, but then English speaking Japanophiles refuse to just use in English.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Explanation is kinda sad, actually. In Japanese "quarter" is written as クール (cu-0-ru; they love to just get rid of the last syllable, with loan words from English).

I guess people on American fansites wanna be Japanese so bad that they refuse to spell quarter properly, when discussing anime in English. Hence, "cour" became a thing.
Yeah, I'm actually hard at work learning Japanese right now so I know all about the distortions of borrowed words. Just didn't know this was that. Hebrew does that too with many technical terms like Biology [biologiya] or Mathematics [matematika] etc. There's a common phonetic pattern and Japanese has that too. I can usually guess the Katakana spelling of a borrowed word just by the sound. I imagine クール is also the spelling for "cool."

And I don't mind the usage in English. Quarter would make no real sense. Might as well call it a half season. Arc is insufficient because I've seen cours that have 2-3 mini arcs in them. I think it is more the desire to use "technical" or industry-specific terms that led to its common usage. People want to sound like they know what they're talking about.

somnarium

deftones or somefuckin' body
Aug 24, 2012
Yep, it was somewhere in late season 2 or early season 3 where I had enough and never watched another minute.

Some NBC comedies like Community and The Office I just kind of stopped watching. I liked Community so I'm not sure why I quit. I stopped watching The Office because I found the Michael Scott character more annoying than funny most times.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Last edited:

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Are you learning Kanji yet?
I certainly am. I know several dozen and can recognize plenty more (there are many Kanji words that I can read on sight but I don't know all the on and kun yomi or the stroke order of all the individual Kanji in that word). I'm working heavily on vocabulary and writing so when I start attacking grammar I can do it in Japanese instead of Romanji and not get held back by the writing. So far so good. It's fun as fuck. Surprisingly Kanji is way less hard than I thought it would be. Certainly still monumentally difficult, but it makes a lot of logical sense, which I didn't know beforehand. I also figured putting off the hardest part was just a recipe to never do it so I jumped right in and the more I do it, the easier it becomes - you start recognizing radicals and components so the logograms stop looking like a visual mess and start looking like words.

Last edited:

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
That's a good plan. You'll be amazed at how much easier Japanese grammar is with Kanji. The hiragana (which is mostly just used for grammar: conjunctions, particles, verb conjugations, the occasional adverb or adjective) jumps out at you from between the Kanji and katakana, and really makes it much easier to follow the structure of the sentence than with any other language.

Which is why you can start basic grammar pretty early. Just get a good grammar book (-> Japanese the Manga Way http://www.tofugu.com/japanese-resources/japanese-the-manga-way/, especially if you like anime, which uses informal grammar that you absolutely WILL NOT learn in traditional text books), and you could even try slowly getting into grammar now.

Last edited:

Gorilla Pimp

Popped a molly i'm sweatin, WOO
Nov 2, 2009
Mobile, AL
Louis.. Love Louis CK, but I just gave up on the show. It tried to be too different? I don't know if that's the best way to say it.... It just seemed like he tried too hard to not make sense.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
X-files, Grey's Anatomy, Lois & Clark, American Idol, Survivor, American Chopper, Star Gates, Married with Children, Life, Simpsons, Fraiser, Friends,

I usually just loose interest after missing episodes and then I don't feel like catching back up.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
That's a good plan. You'll be amazed at how much easier Japanese grammar is with Kanji. The hiragana (which is mostly just used for grammar: conjunctions, particles, verb conjugations, the occasional adverb or adjective) jumps out at you from between the Kanji and katakana, and really makes it much easier to follow the structure of the sentence than with any other language.

Which is why you can start basic grammar pretty early. Just get a good grammar book (-> Japanese the Manga Way http://www.tofugu.com/japanese-resources/japanese-the-manga-way/, especially if you like anime, which uses informal grammar that you absolutely WILL NOT learn in traditional text books), and you could even try slowly getting into grammar now.
Thanks. My Kana knowledge is already pretty good and I find that watching a lot of anime helps me in many ways. Clearly I realize that I shouldn't learn how to speak entirely by watching anime, but the immersion really helps in terms of recognizing the sounds and getting used to the accent (it is already quite easy for me to make out individual words inside of a sentence spoken at a normal pace, so I can read the subtitles and say: I can hear that the subject of this sentence is the word "Kaibutsu" and I see in the subtitles that the subject of the sentence is the word "Monster" so I put 1 and 1 together).

I have a whole bunch of free resources (and a couple of great pay iPhone Apps, especially "Japanese", which I use every single day). I also watch a lot of instructional YouTube videos and stuff like that, and have many friends on Twitter who speak Japanese and I ask them questions all the time. The vocational aspect of the internet is just so awesome.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Deadwood.

Best first season of any show ever.

If they had ended the series after season 1 it would have been the best thing HBO ever produced. But....there were other seasons.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Breaking Bad was great. He had cancer and wanted to leave the family set up. Then he found he didn't have it and kept right on going and turned into just another fucking drug dealer.

Gorilla Pimp

Popped a molly i'm sweatin, WOO
Nov 2, 2009
Mobile, AL
Breaking Bad was great. He had cancer and wanted to leave the family set up. Then he found he didn't have it and kept right on going and turned into just another fucking drug dealer.
People keep telling me to check that show out but I still haven't seen an episode.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I dropped Lost after the episode with Jack's tattoos. Then I picked it up when it was ending just so I could be part of the discussion. I still say they had no idea what they were doing, and if they did, the Dharma logo would have showed up in Season 1.

I usually don't stop watching shows once I get into them, but there are examples. I forgot about My Name is Earl's existence around Season 3 or Season 4. And pretty much anything on USA- Monk, Burn Notice, Psych, etc.

Dec 12, 2007
I wish I dropped Lost after the first few seasons. What a massive drop off from such a monumental start.