Tenchu Z - Xbox 360

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.
Hey, well whaddya know?

Another Sub-par title for the 360's summer release schedule.
I call this stuff filler material.

It's no small surprise that another game with a great (read : fucking great) premise falls so short. Some of the old tenchu games aren't bad too.

You're a ninja, supposed to do ninja things. Should be cool ain't it?
Well, it's not. It's bland and repetitive. Every level basically asks you to do a variation of every other level you just completed.
Sneak around, find objective. Kill them.
It's fun for about 20 minutes until you run into the first signs of repetiveness, after that.. it's all you run into.

If you've ever played Scarface, or The Punisher, you'll remember the upclose mini cut-scenes to kill an opponent. That's what technu z has a lot of.
I suppose the dev team figured that's all the game needs to keep someones interest. I also suppose they were grossly inaccurate.

Aside from that, graphics are muted, and are the first offering from this dev team for a 360 title.

Sound and music, boring, uninspiring. I'm still looking forward to a game with amazing sound and music.

Controls, well... you'd expect a ninja to control as well as that fucker in ninja gaiden, or even maybe like the recent prince of persia titles.
It doesn't. You'll find yourself saying "Hey, I wanted to do THISSS.. instead of THAAT!! WTF." when your character doesn't respond exactly the way you wanted.

Another one to stay away from really.

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
its not a true action game like ninja gaiden, its based on stealth and the lack of confrontation. Its not a stellar game, but its not quite as bad as you describe it to be. Anyone curious should try the demo

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
its not a true action game like ninja gaiden, its based on stealth and the lack of confrontation. Its not a stellar game, but its not quite as bad as you describe it to be. Anyone curious should try the demo
Splinter Cell is a stealth based game but still amazing.

FAngel

I Drink YOUR Milkshake!
Mar 2, 2005
Bethlehem, PA
The Tenchu series started off great with the first two on the PS1, but as the Gamespot review puts it, they never evolved with the rest of gaming. I don't plan on giving this one a shot.

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.
Oh, agreed BlackNinja. This isn't to be confused with a balls-out action game, in the spirit of PoP, or Ninja Gaiden. I simply would expect a ninja-game (especially one with ties to formerly decent tenchu games on older systems) to control a bit more fluidly.
It's definitely in the stealth genre.

Still with that said, it fails in a lot of areas it should excel in.
I'd have to say, it's definitely better than the other recent title I tried to get through, Hour of victory.

GonzoRadio

I like yoguuuuuurt
Nov 26, 2005
NYC
i haven't seen anything i'm really interested in getting other than gta4. I wanted spore, but I think its been delayed and I have a feeling its heading toward vaporware.

BelatedAbortion

Jun 12, 2007
Spaceshuttle Endeaverrrrrrrrr
I have the game, and the only thing that kept me playing was the unlockable clothing. I just wanted to make a badass looking ninja and cut peoples' hearts out. Some of the special abilities are decent, and you can actually make your ninja somewhat of a decent swordfighter with the right combos, a departure from the first games when you couldn't fight your way out of a paper bag.

Its Tenchu, so I'll play it, but From Software has really sucked it out recently. First Armored Core, now Tenchu. At least AC had next-gen graphics.

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
I have the game, and the only thing that kept me playing was the unlockable clothing. I just wanted to make a badass looking ninja and cut peoples' hearts out. Some of the special abilities are decent, and you can actually make your ninja somewhat of a decent swordfighter with the right combos, a departure from the first games when you couldn't fight your way out of a paper bag.

Its Tenchu, so I'll play it, but From Software has really sucked it out recently. First Armored Core, now Tenchu. At least AC had next-gen graphics.
my whole purpose in the game has been just to play to hopefully unlock clothes to make my guy look like storm shadow

BelatedAbortion

Jun 12, 2007
my whole purpose in the game has been just to play to hopefully unlock clothes to make my guy look like storm shadow
All you have to do in order to unlock almost all of the clothing is to get Ninja 5 on every level on Normal difficulty. Try to get as many SK's as possible. Kill everyone.

MrQuotes

Feelin' Fine
Jan 21, 2005
tenchu is one of my all time favorite franchises, so yea im playing the game and i do like it
but K2 was so goddamn lazy this time around and you can tell. if they put some time and effort into this game it wouldve been fucking awesome.

BelatedAbortion

Jun 12, 2007
tenchu is one of my all time favorite franchises, so yea im playing the game and i do like it
but K2 was so goddamn lazy this time around and you can tell. if they put some time and effort into this game it wouldve been fucking awesome.
Especially the fact that every single stealth kill was lifted from the last game. There's absolutely nothing new.