Movie Terminator: Dark Fate will open on 11/1/19! With James Cameron and Tim Miller!

Bobobie

I think that was Genisys. Remember it ends in the facility where time travel and liquid metal are being built in the same room? Then Arnold becomes liquid metal after it explodes?
Yes, but at the end of Genisys there was secret server room where all the tech was squirreled away. Just to leave the door open for a direct sequel. It didn't matter anyway because they tossed out the three movie deal and made the next movie a sequel of T2.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
They did. It was called Termination: Salvation. Remember, it had John and Kyle meeting for the first time. Everyone hated it
That's because it looked nothing like the future war from all the flashbacks/forwards. Fans didn't want Arizona desert, they wanted swarms of robots and tanks fighting over piles of human skulls and rebels slinking through caves and sewers. 90% of the movie was in vast, open areas at high noon.

Most likely it still would have sucked, but at least get the damn look right. Not sunny and bright.

That would be like taking a creature that's famous for only appearing when it's hot and putting them in a movie on one of the ice caps.......oh.

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
That's because it looked nothing like the future war from all the flashbacks/forwards. Fans didn't want Arizona desert, they wanted swarms of robots and tanks fighting over piles of human skulls and rebels slinking through caves and sewers. 90% of the movie was in vast, open areas at high noon.

Most likely it still would have sucked, but at least get the damn look right. Not sunny and bright.
True. The design of Future War was too bright and sunny, but I think if it was a decent war story people would have overlooked it. The Adventures of Marcusochhio? No. I mean why did we need this (starting at 2:21) as the emotional climax?

That would be like taking a creature that's famous for only appearing when it's hot and putting them in a movie on one of the ice caps.......oh.
We've discussed this. The milks came from different animals. I can go to the store and buy cow milk and goat milk.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Here's a nitpicky question I have connected to the BIG SPOILER

So the idea is that Skynet sent multiple Terminators across time to kill John Connor just in case one failed. And I'm assuming that they did this in T2 era because if they did it in T1 era there'd be no reason to sent the T-1000 back since they'd already have multiple fail safes in place. So if they did this during the T2 era, 1) why would they send back a T-800 instead of a T-1000 and 2) they have multiple skins, right? So why would they send back an Arnold one who - good or bad - would immediately raise suspicion that something was going down?

And the other Terminators they sent back across time, would they also be Arnold?
I think more different Arnolds would have a greater chance of changing history instead of keeping it Skyriffic.

Alien, and Aliens, are better SciFi than anything Hollywood has put out since, literally.

Hollywood ran out of ideas 20 years ago
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls021424736/

This is going to be one of those "It was ... fine." that when it's brought up during the year in review they'll be "oh right that was this year, wasn't it?"

And yes, I wouldn't say it's worth seeing in theaters (unless you want to discuss it with me!) - or seeing at all. It's not terrible, it's not offensively bad. There are things to like about it (the more I think about it, the more I like Grace), things not to like about it (the more I think about it, the more I find Dani's performance lacking), but for the most part it's a lot of who cares? Unless there's some extenuating circumstances, I don't think you'll find anyone genuinely gushing over the movie*, but there will be a lot of half-hearted "it was ... fine."
I would think the interpersonal emotions would be difficult when the sets are moving and exploding.
Or the reverse where you're non-stop railing against the movie because you have to cater to an, ahem, more sensitive crowd.
I was disappointed by the lack of lesbianism. There was plenty of pre-built controversy over the invasion.

If you had told 1993 me that they were releasing a new Terminator and a new Star Wars movie in the same year, it would have been probably the best year in the history of the Gregorian Calendar. And look where we are today.
It is still a good year; there are plenty of pessimists.

Wow this movie is just DRENCHED with woke-ness.

I also notice during the Border Patrol Detention Center scene, they insisted on calling the holding cells cages at every single opportunity
The Savior of Humanity is a Mexican.

Also, the Notice parallels between Carl's relationship and Arnold's.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...er-for-paramount-fox-and-disney/#5cbf6c307a6f

I'll list the reasons here. If anybody is interested in reading Scott Mendelsen's explanations for each reason, they can click on the link.

7 Reasons Terminator Dark Fate Was A Box Office Disaster:

1. Terminator: Salvation and Terminator: Genisys were rejected by audiences. -not a reason
2. Terminator movies need to stop costing $150 million-plus. -not a reason; nostalgic reviewer
3. The reviews were better, but not good enough. -good reviews do help
4. The China boost was a mirage. - care not about China's box office
5. Arnold Schwarzenegger hasn’t been a movie star in 20 years. -You still know his name, don't you?
6. Applying the Force Awakens formula didn’t work because Terminator is not Star Wars.-Peas and Carrots
7. Audiences do not care about the Terminator franchise - The reviewer elects himself to stand in for everyone.
Having watched the movie and followed the response, those answers make sense and are stuff I talked about or alluded to.

However, all those answers are wrong. The only answer that matters is g-g-g-g-g-g-girwels!!!
The blonde was athletic but not stunning.

I think a big thing is that a lot of these franchises they try to reboot seem antiquated. Like Predators. I have an anti-interest in that RoboCop sequel they keep threatening. I think Prometheus managed to temporarily reboot the Alien franchise by being its own thing with its own mythos and had a bit more "depth" to it (notice the quotes). Put another way, Prometheus felt more modern because it wasn't just an action movie or a horror movie. It established its own lore. It had good actors. It tried-ish. (Then Covenant shoved that in the f-hole.)

Predator and TDF are action-centric explosion films yet don't feel updated in the way even a Fast and the Furious movie does. It feels old. Or not. I'm not even sure if this will make sense but they somehow simultaneously have the modern trend of being unnecessarily convoluted/sequel bait with the old trend of being fairly simplistic. I don't know how those two contradictory ideas work together, but somehow they do. But these movies don't feel modern. TDF especially because it has Linda and Arnold when it didn't need them and probably shouldn't have had them.

And because Terminator is so tied into the 1980s view of the future and that era's view of cyberpunk wafare, it can't break free from that. That's why I think the full remake would have worked better - because there are ways to update it to modern fears. As much shit as I give Genisys, the concept of Skynet starting from an App is not completely terrible, they just handled it completely terribly. In the beginning of Dark Fate, Dani's brother is going to lose his job because it's going to be automated and Sarah talks about how cameras are everywhere, which are both modern fears, but it turns out new Skynet emerged from another interlinked DoD thing with the same Terminator design except with caved in heads. So even if it is new, it doesn't feel new.

And yes, Terminator is not Star Wars. With TFA, even though a lot of it was a retread of ANH, there was new stuff in it to lure you in. There was a chance the First Order or the Resistance could surprise you. Or the mystery of Rey's lineage. Or Kylo Ren's journey. With this, when it ends, you're pretty much left with "let's destroy new Cyberdyne" because that's all Terminator could be.
I liked that Sara kept her cellphone in one of those metallic plastic bags.

I think another problem with the Terminator franchise is what's the endgame from a narrative standpoint if Judgement Day was/is inevitable. They have done a story that takes place during the war against machines and what's the point of continuing to go back in time if you can't change the future. I don't know what else they could have done to get movie goers interested in this franchise again.
It is a spiritual and religious question if that fate is predetermined or can be changed since we cannot time travel.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
I didn’t hate this movie.

I thought the opening cgi/deaging at the beginning was damn impressive.

Other than that? Meh.

Some of the humor they tried to force with “Carl” didn’t work. Sarah trying to crack jokes, like loving potato chips, felt out of character.

Dani’s arc didn’t feel natural.

Grace was OK, but whatever.

I liked the Rev-9. But not sure why it needed liquid metal AND an exoskeleton. That seems impractical.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
@Atomic Fireball the scope of Dark Fate's failure is coming into focus now.

When I saw that Dark Fate's opening weekend was a little higher than Genisys', I assumed that both would finish with around the same global box office of $440 million.

Yeah...no.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdown/sd490468868/?view=byDOW

Genisys managed a $27 million opening weekend after it had already generated $14.5 million thanks to a Wednesday release. So after 8 days of release, Dark Fate is currently $16 million off Genisys' domestic pace.

Genisys was released in the summer, so weekday receipts helped it limp along to a respectable 3.29x hold. It dropped only 48% in it's 2nd weekend thanks to it's opening weekend being lower after opening on Wednesday. Dark Fate is losing ground every weekday and is looking at a 55-60% drop this weekend.

It gets worse - The international haul for Genisys accounted for a whopping 79% of it's total box office. Dark Fate's percentage is lower at 72%. That's bad for two reasons. A) it's lower and B) Dark Fate opened a week ahead of the US in many international markets.

With those gloomy numbers, it's entirely possible that Dark Fate could finish with half - yes

of Genisys' $440 million global box office.

LiddyRules

I didn’t hate this movie.

I thought the opening cgi/deaging at the beginning was damn impressive.

Other than that? Meh.

Some of the humor they tried to force with “Carl” didn’t work. Sarah trying to crack jokes, like loving potato chips, felt out of character.

Dani’s arc didn’t feel natural.

Grace was OK, but whatever.

I liked the Rev-9. But not sure why it needed liquid metal AND an exoskeleton. That seems impractical.
Dani's arc was rushed, yes. And I didn't like her in the Future. I wanted a better explanation of Legion and what this whole thing was about more than her and Grace meeting. That might be the thing that annoyed me the most. Everything having to do with Legion was essentially "* See The Terminator" like it's an old Marvel comic.

I didn't mention Luna as the Rev-9, but I thought he was actually pretty good. Sure, it's the Robert Patrick thing (because what else can you do?), but he seemed more human than previous incarnations with a hint that something was off about him.

I didn't mind that the Rev-9 was two Terminators. Two for one, one is more fluid and flexible and one is stronger. It made sense for me. It was better than those tentacle Terminators in the future. What annoyed me was the only design difference was that the head was caved in, and how they shot all the promos so that we never see the head is caved in. (Either it's in shadow like when it's driving the truck or it's still covered by scalp (like when Arnie shoots it in its face)). What, did they think showing us a caved in skull beforehand was going to spoil the movie?

Last edited:

LiddyRules

@Atomic Fireball the scope of Dark Fate's failure is coming into focus now.

When I saw that Dark Fate's opening weekend was a little higher than Genisys', I assumed that both would finish with around the same global box office of $440 million.

Yeah...no.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdown/sd490468868/?view=byDOW

Genisys managed a $27 million opening weekend after it had already generated $14.5 million thanks to a Wednesday release. So after 8 days of release, Dark Fate is currently $16 million off Genisys' domestic pace.

Genisys was released in the summer, so weekday receipts helped it limp along to a respectable 3.29x hold. It dropped only 48% in it's 2nd weekend thanks to it's opening weekend being lower after opening on Wednesday. Dark Fate is losing ground every weekday and is looking at a 55-60% drop this weekend.

It gets worse - The international haul for Genisys accounted for a whopping 79% of it's total box office. Dark Fate's percentage is lower at 72%. That's bad for two reasons. A) it's lower and B) Dark Fate opened a week ahead of the US in many international markets.

With those gloomy numbers, it's entirely possible that Dark Fate could finish with half - yes

of Genisys' $440 million global box office.
Even if I think Dark Fate is the better movie, I can see people liking Genisys more because it's more actively awful. As stupid as Genisys is, I'll remember a lot more of their bad decisions for much longer than I will the meh been there-done that decisions of Dark Fate.

Bobobie

Genisys has Arnold and the Dragon Queen from Game of Thrones. The other movie a 60 year old Sarah Conner, skinny androgynous sack of bones, and a mexican dwarf.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I thought it was fine. Maybe even good. Certainly not great. I went in with very low expectations and it exceeded them.

I like some of the plot choices, less sold on others. The humor fell flat for me.

The Edward Furlong CGI was astonishingly good.