Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Got 8 out of 10.

8-10: Grammar guru

somnarium

deftones or somefuckin' body
Aug 24, 2012
7/10. Completely forgot some of those things. No clue on the Gerund, Modal, Imperative.

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!
It's My Birthday!
Aug 31, 2009
Scotland
I dont trust the BBC, they protect more paedophiles than the catholic church

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
8/10 - I'm a grammar guru who doesn't like this test.

Mags

LDAR king
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Grammar Guru. I always had great gramma.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
Arent you an English professor? Or did I just make that up?
Yeah, so I thought I could pull at least 9/10. They got me on the gender of the sibling question and the misplaced modifier. The questions were poorly phrased. That's my excuse.

For the record, I don't teach grammar.

Since you're as good as me, I'll let you know when we're hiring.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Yeah, so I thought I could pull at least 9/10. They got me on the gender of the sibling question and the misplaced modifier. The questions were poorly phrased. That's my excuse.

For the record, I don't teach grammar.

Since you're as good as me, I'll let you know when we're hiring.
I didn't even try to figure out the gender question. Just stop it.
Good looking out, Drew. I have to be honest, I had a very vague memory of some of that shit and it was a total shoot but I can fake it well.

Also, that gender question was so awkwardly worded I didnt even care about Hilary. Fuck her/him in his/her fuck hole.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Arent you an English professor? Or did I just make that up?
Hell, for a while I wrote news for a living.

And I'm that guy that gets annoyed by bad grammar.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
9/10. I should have known a gerunding would fuck me up.

And number 10 actually has another error. You don't capitalize king and queen unless it's preceding a specific person like Queen Elizabeth or King George. Unless those crazy Brits do it differently over there.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
None of the answers have checkboxes or links or anything. Shitty mobile browser.

EDIT: answers at the end derrrrrp
10/10 meh

Hog's Big Ben

Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
And number 10 actually has another error. You don't capitalize king and queen unless it's preceding a specific person like Queen Elizabeth or King George. Unless those crazy Brits do it differently over there.
That sentence seemed to be talking about a very specific king and queen, so it's proper to capitalize. We do the same thing talking about Obama here: "The President met today with some shady characters."

Steve McQueen

heartless fuck
May 23, 2006
New York
9/10. How the hell am I supposed to know what Winston Churchill said about grammar?

Hog's Big Ben

Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
9/10. How the hell am I supposed to know what Winston Churchill said about grammar?
You don't have to know. They gave you his alleged quote. All you had to do was figure out which of the listed grammar rules he was mocking.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
That sentence seemed to be talking about a very specific king and queen, so it's proper to capitalize. We do the same thing talking about Obama here: "The President met today with some shady characters."
That's not what we call Obama. We say: "The ******** met today with some shady characters." ;)

I guess if it was specific enough in the previous sentence (which we didn't see) technically it's alright maybe. But Wiki even says this:
^ Franklincovey, Stephen R. Covey Style Guide: For Business and Technical Communication - Page 317 2012 "Capitalize the first letter of titles when they immediately precede personal names, but do not capitalize the first letter when ... 3: Titles used in a general sense are not capitalized: a U.S. representative a king a prime minister an ambassador"

^ Homer L. Hall, Logan H. Aimone -High School Journalism 2008" 11. Capitalize King and Queen when used before a name. Otherwise, do not capitalize."

You don't have to know. They gave you his alleged quote. All you had to do was figure out which of the listed grammar rules he was mocking.
That's the one grammar rule I most ignore. As was exemplified by Churchill's quote, sometimes it just sounds pretentious or even retarded to say it the right way. I end sentences in "to" all the time.

Hog's Big Ben

Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
That's not what we call Obama. We say: "The ******** met today with some shady characters." ;)

I guess if it was specific enough in the previous sentence (which we didn't see) technically it's alright maybe.
It doesn't have to be specific enough in the previous sentence. They are clearly talking about a specific king and queen. Point is, nobody's ever really going to argue about it either way. Look at the use of "president" here:

MSNBC: However, the President was not as dismissive about the Internal Revenue Service, calling the reports “outrageous” and “contrary to our traditions.”

Karl Rove, writing for FOX News: The president is getting deeper into trouble. He must come clean by revealing who directed the CIA to remove the language about terrorism and who authorized that person or persons to so direct the CIA.

Again, anyone arguing about it probably has an agenda :D

That's the one grammar rule I most ignore. As was exemplified by Churchill's quote, sometimes it just sounds pretentious or even retarded to say it the right way. I end sentences in "to" all the time.
It's not a rule. I don't think it ever has been. That's pretty much the joke.