Testing some things this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

zagman76

Wackbagger, Geek, Administrator
Wackbag Staff
I'll be testing out some things with the site this weekend. It shouldn't be disruptive to the board itself. Depending on your browser settings, you may get various warnings from time-to-time. If you do, please post them in this thread, and I'll advise if it's part of my testing.

Thanks!

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I keep getting pop ups asking if you can borrow my phone.

zagman76

Wackbag Staff
Yeah - it's a completely browser-based crypto-coin miner (i.e.: no software is installed on your end, and it will not do anything without your concent), that only uses javascript in the browser.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Yeah - it's a completely browser-based crypto-coin miner (i.e.: no software is installed on your end, and it will not do anything without your concent), that only uses javascript in the browser.
The request pops up every time I go to a new page.

Yeah it's intolerable on a mobile device...no wackbag cannot drain my iPhone battery...

zagman76

Wackbag Staff
Yeah it's intolerable on a mobile device...no wackbag cannot drain my iPhone battery...
Yeah - I see that now. That's annoying! ... I'll look into a way of either it only asking once, or completely disabling on mobile.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Was just coming in to ask about this. I declined because I don't trust the interwebz. Looked like this:

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
So... how much of my processing power would it use? Now that I know it's legit I don't mind contributing to the cause.

zagman76

Wackbag Staff
So... how much of my processing power would it use? Now that I know it's legit I don't mind contributing to the cause.
Right now - too much! It's eating up about 100% of my CPU.

I am trying to target maybe 10-20% at max.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Right now - too much! It's eating up about 100% of my CPU.

I am trying to target maybe 10-20% at max.
lol... yeah, 100% is a smidge too much. When you get it sipping my juice let us know and I'll participate in the experiment. How do you invoke the message if it was already declined?

zagman76

Wackbag Staff
lol... yeah, 100% is a smidge too much. When you get it sipping my juice let us know and I'll participate in the experiment. How do you invoke the message if it was already declined?
It should re-prompt you after 2 hours.

There is probably a way to limit its use of the processor via task manager on any windows machine

zagman76

Wackbag Staff
There is probably a way to limit its use of the processor via task manager on any windows machine
I already limited it to be 80% idle, which according to the documentation should cap it at 20% CPU usage, when the tab is in-focus.

Turfmower

I got a message that coin hive has been blocked

Turfmower

I got a message that coin hive has been blocked

somnarium

deftones or somefuckin' body
I had that popping up on my phone yesterday and my antivirus warns about a threat and blocks coinhive on my desktop today.

zagman76

Wackbag Staff
Technically, it does behave similar to malware in that it’s using your browser for something other than web-browsing, potentially without notifying you. However, I can assure that I am not doing nefarious with it.

One of the features it offeres, is the ability to share the crypto coins it might generate with you, the person whose browser is doing the work. If this weekend proves to be a successful test, I might look into how to set that up.

Ftard

Malwarebytes is blocking access to 4 or 5 different coinhive sites. The malwarebytes warning notifications continues even after I leave wackbag, I need to re-start my computer to making it stop.

Edit: Warning still pops up even after I exit Chrome browser.

Last edited:

Lord Zero

I'm getting the CoinHive message too (except it's Avast telling me that it's safely aborted the connection to it). The warning doesn't follow me when I exit WackBag.

Lord Zero

According to Avast, CoinHive is infected specifically with "JS:Miner-C [Trj]". Don't know if that helps.

zagman76

Wackbag Staff
According to Avast, CoinHive is infected specifically with "JS:Miner-C [Trj]". Don't know if that helps.

It also gives me a way to monetize the board, without out people having to do anything except 'donate' some CPU cycles via some extra javascript that your browser will churn though.

It often comes up as 'malware' because in some cases, it can be doing this without the user's knowledge / approval.

Tomorrow, I will be disabling the functionality, and then setting it up properly as far as opt-in only use and such.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Donator
It also gives me a way to monetize the board, without out people having to do anything except 'donate' some CPU cycles via some extra javascript that your browser will churn though.

It often comes up as 'malware' because in some cases, it can be doing this without the user's knowledge / approval.

Tomorrow, I will be disabling the functionality, and then setting it up properly as far as opt-in only use and such.
Is there a way we can control what it does. Like if at could use more cpu in the evening vs day? I leave my pc on 24 hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.