Texas cops killing citizen's dogs thread

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA

A Texas man claims that his beloved dog Cisco was shot point blank by a police officer who responded to a call at the wrong address.

Michael Paxton, 40, said he and his Australian cattle dog Cisco were relaxing and playing Frisbee in his Austin backyard on Saturday afternoon when he decided to go get something from his truck in the driveway.

As he approached his truck, he said he saw something from the corner of his eye and looked up to see a police officer who immediately drew his weapon and told Paxton to put his hands up.

"He had a Taser. He had pepper spray. I don't understand why, in broad daylight, he pulled a gun on me. I wasn't running. I wasn't hiding," Paxton told ABCNews.com today. "I was just saying, 'I live here.' I was panicking. I was afraid for my life."

Paxton said he heard Cisco, who weighed about 50 pounds, barking and coming towards him from the backyard.

"I said, 'Don't shoot him. Don't shoot my dog. He won't bite you.' But he shot him, just like that. It all happened in under 30 seconds," Paxton said. "There was no attack on the officer other than barking and challenging him."

Austin Police Cpl. Anthony Hipolito told ABCNews. com that the officer did respond to the wrong address, but it was the address provided by the 911 call. The call came from the house next to Paxton's.

Hipolito said that dashcam footage shows the dog barking and attacking the officer.

"The officer was basically in retreat and asked the owner to grab the dog," Hipolito said. "He was unable to and the dog continued to attack and that's when the officer discharged his firearm."

An apology was issued at the scene, according to Hipolito, but Paxton said no one apologized to him.

"Officers have to do everything they can to protect themselves, up to and including the use of deadly force," Hipolito said. "It's something that we don't ever want to do. To shoot and kill an animal is very unfortunate and tragic. The officer is distraught and did not want to do it, but at the same time, he had to protect himself."

As a shocked and horrified Paxton stared down at his dog's lifeless body, he said he was confused when the officer started asking him if he had a girlfriend.

"I was saying, 'You just killed my dog. I can't believe you just killed my dog. What is going on?'" Paxton recalled.

Paxton said the officer said he was responding to a domestic issue report of a man choking a woman. Paxton does not have a girlfriend and believes the report came from his neighbor's house.

Paxton said the officer did not apologize and when his sergeant arrived, he was unsympathetic and told Paxton the officer was within his right to shoot the dog. He said he has not heard from the police since the incident.

"I was in shock for probably almost 24 hours," Paxton said, choking up. "I wasn't crying at that point, but when I picked my dog up out of the driveway, I lost it."

Paxton's friends started a Facebook page called "Justice for Cisco" that has nearly 14,000 supporters. Hundreds of people have left messages of support, outrage and anger.

"How heartbreaking and so uncalled for. Tears just fall for the fallen. So very sorry for your lost over a mistaken address," one supporter wrote.

Another wrote: "How dare any officer make a mistake & not apologize? If that were a citizen they would be made to apologize immediately. A life was taken & even though some might look at it only being a dog; it was somebody's pet that they loved dearly."

"The only thing that has brought me comfort is the response and outpouring of emotion for him," Paxton said. "I'm sure he heard the yelling. He's a dog. This is his territory. He's going to be territorial to some extent. To me, it's pretty typical dog behavior. He's not a viscious dog. He was a good boy. He was a real good boy."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-man-...sco-responding/story?id=16150874#.T4239dXoiYt

Dash cam footage:

[video=youtube;VUzpNDSLHPY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUzpNDSLHPY&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
"I said, 'Don't shoot him. Don't shoot my dog. He won't bite you.
Yeah, we have audio of the entire incident, stupid. We know that's a lie.

Officer yells "show me your hand", you can hear dog running and barking, and within 3 seconds there is a gunshot. Then we hear the guy's voice for the first time, yelling "why did you shoot my dog?". He never uttered the words "he won't bite you". He's lying.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
Yeah, we have audio of the entire incident, stupid. We know that's a lie.

Officer yells "show me your hand", you can hear dog running and barking, and within 3 seconds there is a gunshot. Then we hear the guy's voice for the first time, yelling "why did you shoot my dog?". He never uttered the words "he won't bite you". He's lying.
That doesn't matter. The visceral response is "out of control cops shoot anything that moves while violating citizens rights". I took a particular interest when the officer pointed out where his shell casing was and the guy denied that he had shot where the shell casing was. The dash cam proves the citizen was a liar, but it doesn't show anything else. Inconclusive. Sorry about the dog. One of my favorite breeds.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
That doesn't matter. The visceral response is "out of control cops shoot anything that moves while violating citizens rights". I took a particular interest when the officer pointed out where his shell casing was and the guy denied that he had shot where the shell casing was. The dash cam proves the citizen was a liar, but it doesn't show anything else. Inconclusive. Sorry about the dog. One of my favorite breeds.
My buddies Blue Healer is a super protective dog. He has no fence and a neighbor with 3 pitbulls on chains next door. This healer will go toe to toe with those pit's if they get to close while my buddy is mowing. That 30lb healer will back them down. Very good and smart loyal dogs.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
My buddies Blue Healer is a super protective dog. He has no fence
I'm sure the neighbors love that. Nothing like a confrontational dog that's allowed to run free in the neighborhood.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Another wrote: "How dare any officer make a mistake & not apologize? If that were a citizen they would be made to apologize immediately. A life was taken & even though some might look at it only being a dog; it was somebody's pet that they loved dearly."

stellarcomics?

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
I'm sure the neighbors love that. Nothing like a confrontational dog that's allowed to run free in the neighborhood.
Anytime he is out he is on a chain. Doesn't just run wild... the 3 pits are right next door to him. One of the chains reaches to right about the property line.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
grrrrrrrr. my comments are not pleasant and would have resulted in bad things

very bad things

MTJonny

Donator
Apr 24, 2009
Greater Seattle area
No offense MH, I know you want to protect your fellow cops but fuck off. The first 20 seconds of the video say everything, the cop walks towards the house getting his gun out, says "Show me your hands, control your dog" and then by the time the g of "dog" is out of his mouth you hear a fucking gunshot!! I have went house to house as much as any fucking cop and never ran into a dog that justified KILLING IT (And yes I have been bit multiple times). And its a fucking blue heeler, you need a fucking gun?? They might be vicious for their size but they are what, 60lbs on the big side? And btw, the cop is at the WRONG ADDRESS! Cop is 100% a fucking retard asshole, there is no defending him. Any other job and you would be shitcanned immediately for this kind of fuckup.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
No offense MH, I know you want to protect your fellow cops but fuck off. The first 20 seconds of the video say everything, the cop walks towards the house getting his gun out, says "Show me your hands, control your dog" and then by the time the g of "dog" is out of his mouth you hear a fucking gunshot!! I have went house to house as much as any fucking cop and never ran into a dog that justified KILLING IT (And yes I have been bit multiple times). And its a fucking blue heeler, you need a fucking gun?? They might be vicious for their size but they are what, 60lbs on the big side? And btw, the cop is at the WRONG ADDRESS! Cop is 100% a fucking retard asshole, there is no defending him. Any other job and you would be shitcanned immediately for this kind of fuckup.
Yup. Unfortunately this is par for the course for a lot of Texas cops, especially the ones in major metro areas.

Contrary to popular belief I'm not an authority hater from some immature inner child... I've dealt with all of these pricks first hand.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
the fact that he blames the owner is what really pisses me off.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
The dummy was at the wrong address, no?

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
You fucking idiots really think a cop should just let himself get bit? Fuck that. Cop responds where he is told. Wrong house or not is irrelevant. If a dog comes at him he follows his training. Blammo, dead dog. If it's in the front yard it should be on a leash or chain.

You cop haters make me fucking sick. Dude did his job and he is being chastised for it.

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
As the token Texan around here, I can say with certainty that Austin PD has a reputation for being total dicks. They have never been citizen friendly. They write tickets to anyone and everyone going 1 over the speed limit. It's just their culture. I'm sure MH can verify that each agency has it's own reputation and sub culture. APD just happens to be assholes as a whole.

There was an APD officer that got shot and killed about 10 days ago, so they might be on edge. Not an excuse, just a factor.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
You fucking idiots really think a cop should just let himself get bit? Fuck that. Cop responds where he is told. Wrong house or not is irrelevant. If a dog comes at him he follows his training. Blammo, dead dog. If it's in the front yard it should be on a leash or chain.

You cop haters make me fucking sick. Dude did his job and he is being chastised for it.
I'm not a cop hater, but when they fuck up they at least owe someone an apology, and should be held accountable. They're our fucking employees, after all. We had a dickhead sheriff's deputy come to our house years ago because he got the wrong address, and he was sitting there yelling at us that we have to have our dog on a leash at all times, and he has the right to take it to the pound if it bites him. I grew up on a 100 acre dairy, and this fucker was on our property, by mistake, telling us our animals had to be leashed for his protection.

At some point the pendulum swings from "protect and serve" to "fuck you if you don't accommodate us in every way possible".

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
Guy went to the address he was told to go to. He walks up and dog comes charging. Even if he walked up with his gun holstered and smiling, dog still would have come charging.

It's unfortunate, but the officer really didn't do anything wrong.

As far as saying sorry. We live in a world where saying sorry can be seen as an admission of guilt. Even here, you guys would have jumped on him for saying sorry because he knew he was wrong.

You really think the cop is happy he killed someones pet dog?

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
The dummy was at the wrong address, no?
he was at the address he was told to go to. The call for service provided the wrong address to him.

Austin Police Cpl. Anthony Hipolito told ABCNews. com that the officer did respond to the wrong address, but it was the address provided by the 911 call. The call came from the house next to Paxton's.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
An Australian Cattle dog? Those things are like Corgi sized... well except a lot faster moving.

Does not approve...

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
At least apd could apologize and try and make nice. They are immune from civil liability as long as the officer was acting reasonably (to be determined).

They could name their next K9 after the dead dog...there are lots of ways to make nice.

Like I said, apd=dicknoses.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Paxton said he heard Cisco, who weighed about 50 pounds, barking and coming towards him from the backyard.

"I said, 'Don't shoot him. Don't shoot my dog. He won't bite you.' But he shot him, just like that. It all happened in under 30 seconds," Paxton said.

I was in shock for probably almost 24 hours," Paxton said, choking up. "I wasn't crying at that point, but when I picked my dog up out of the driveway, I lost it."

"We met down on the fort of Rio Grande, he'd eat the salted peanuts out of can. He drink whiskey, Poncho drink the wine." He said.

Baxter continued: "The outlaws had us pinned down at the fort, Cisco came in blastin', drinkin' port. Chased a negro last night through a field. The Cisco Kid, he was a friend of mine."
:icon_cool