Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
August 11, 2011 4:17 PM

Rick Perry to run for president, spokesman says

(CBS/AP)
Updated at 4:46 p.m. ET

Texas Gov. Rick Perry is running for president, a spokesman confirmed Thursday, a move certain to shake up the race for the Republican nomination much to the delight of conservatives looking for a candidate to embrace.

Perry spokesman Mark Miner said the governor would make his intentions known on Saturday while visiting the crucial early primary states of South Carolina and New Hampshire just as most of his presidential rivals compete in a test vote in another key state, Iowa.

Official word of Perry's entrance into the race came just hours before eight candidates, including Republican front-runner Mitt Romney, were to appear on stage during a nationally televised debate.

On Sunday, Perry will speak at a Republican fundraiser in Iowa for the Black Hawk County Republicans, his campaign confirmed to the CBS News earlier this week. His decision to travel to the crucial first-in-the-nation voting state signals that he plans to compete aggressively there for the Republican presidential nomination.

Perry's entry into the race is sure to draw attention away from the Iowa straw poll in Ames on Saturday, which traditionally has a significant impact on the Republican presidential race. Perry is not on the straw poll ballot.

CBSNews.com special report: Campaign 2012

The Texas governor is expected to immediately jump to the top tier of contenders for the nomination if he enters the race, in part because he has support from both the Republican establishment and the social and fiscal conservatives.

Perry, who participated last Saturday in a controversial prayer and fasting event in Houston, has spent recent weeks meeting behind closed-doors with potential donors and supporters about the possibility of a presidential run.

In a recent interview with Time magazine, Perry said that former President George W. Bush -- who preceded Perry as Texas governor -- has been advising him on the decision.

"He said, 'You'll do what's right,'" Perry said, of a June conversation with the former president. "He said, you don't want to wake up when you're 70 and go, 'I wish I had tried that. I wish I had done that.'"

Questioned about the strength of his conservative credentials, Perry said he didn't think there was "any doubt" that he was at least as conservative as every other candidate in the race - if not more so.

"I've got a record. And that record, particularly when it comes to the most important issues in this campaign, which is creating the climate of America that gives incentives to job creators to risk their capital and create jobs for our citizens, I will put that up against anybody who's running and particularly against this President we have today, whose jobs record is abysmal," he said.

Perry has never run a national campaign before, and it's unclear whether his Texas swagger and contemplation of state secession will sit well with Republican primary voters outside his state.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/08/11/politics/main20091362.shtml
Ok, NOW can we start attacking him when he's "official?" :icon_cool

Owenay

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed...
May 10, 2007
Bizarro World
That is straight up crazy talk.
I've got a hang nail on my left index finger that would do a better job than Obama. And Hillary is just continuation of the same ol same ol.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I've got a hang nail on my left index finger that would do a better job than Obama. And Hillary is just continuation of the same ol same ol.
So was the case with a junior Senator from Illinois
Im not going to argue for Obama, but Perry is a complete fucking wackjob. Anyone who actually wants that zealot running the country should have their head examined.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
I doubt he's really a zealot, he's just playing to a particular group of voters who are important in a primary.

I really don't know much about the guy other than he's been the governor of the 2nd largest state in the union for over 11 years.

I'd prefer if Texans were not eligible to run for POTUS, as after Little Barry, W & LBJ are two of the three worst POTUS since WWII

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Good, there weren't enough religious conservatives running already. :rolleyes:

From The Response: a call to prayer for a nation in crisis
http://theresponseusa.com/why-the-response.php
As a nation, we must come together, call upon Jesus to guide us through unprecedented struggles, and thank Him for the blessings of freedom we so richly enjoy according to His grace, mercy, and kindness towards us. A historic crisis facing our nation and threatening our future demands a historic response from the church. We must, as a people, return to the faith and hope of our fathers. The ancient paths of great men were blazed in prayer – the humility of the truly great men of history was revealed in their recognition of the power and might of Jesus to save all who call on His great name.

Our hope is found in the One who might turn towards our nation in its time of great need – if we, as a nation would turn to Him in repentance, prayer, and fasting. The call of God to His people in times of great trouble is to gather together and call on Him with one voice, one heart, and a unified desire to see great blessing and great glory come to our nation again. The power of unified prayer from a humble gathering of the saints is found in the hope that He might answer us, and turn the tide of trouble and threats that stand against us.
Leadership

Governor Rick Perry
Initiator of The Response
:(:(:(

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I doubt he's really a zealot, he's just playing to a particular group of voters who are important in a primary.
Pandering to a certain group is one thing. Setting up an christian only "pray for our country" rally in an arena is zealotry.

Danesy

Cute but psycho, it all evens out.
Jun 5, 2006
Satellite of Love
Pandering to a certain group is one thing. Setting up an christian only "pray for our country" rally in an arena is zealotry.
But praying will solve all our problems!!!! Just think if he became president we could have all sorts of days of prayer... it'll be awesome!

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio

Didn't Little Barry just have a muslim dinner thing at the White House - that seems a lot more zealotry & divisive than some dumb prayer at the Astrodome

President Obama welcomed Muslim American leaders to the White House Wednesday night for an iftar dinner, a nightly breaking of the fast during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

“No matter who we are or how we pray, we’re all children of a loving God,” Obama said to a crowd which included diplomats, military service members, administration officials, congressmen, Muslim 9/11 families and first responders.

Obama used the upcoming tenth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks to emphasize how Muslim Americans have contributed to anti-terrorism efforts: “Make no mistake, Muslim Americans help to keep us safe.”

More from the president’s address:

“Like so many faiths, Islam has always been part of our American family and Muslim Americans have long contributed to the strength and character of our country in all walks of life. This has been especially true over the past ten years.

“In one month we will mark the tenth anniversary of those awful attacks that brought so much pain to our hearts. It will be a time to honor all those that we’ve lost, the families who carry on their legacy, the heroes who rushed to help that day and all who served to keep us safe during a difficult decade.

“Tonight it’s worth remembering that these Americans were of many faiths and backgrounds including proud and patriotic Muslim Americans. Muslim Americans were innocent passengers on those planes, including a young married couple looking forward to the birth of their first child. They were workers in the Twin Towers: Americans by birth and Americans by choice, immigrants who crossed the oceans to give their children a better life. They were cooks and waiters but also analysts and executives. There in the towers where they worked they came together for daily meals and prayers and iftar. They were looking to the future: getting married, sending their kids to college, enjoying a well-deserved retirement. And they were taken from us much too soon.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/under-god/post/obama-hosts-muslim-leaders-for-ramadan-iftar-video/2011/08/11/gIQAIBid8I_blog.html

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
But praying will solve all our problems!!!! Just think if he became president we could have all sorts of days of prayer... it'll be awesome!

as opposed to how awesome it is now!

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
He's a power hungry Jesus peddler. Horrible candidate. But economic freedom is the only thing I care about at this point, so if he commits to vetoing any bill that increases taxes and supports getting rid of some of Obama's regulations in healthcare and finance, he probably has my vote this one time. I just don't see anyone better with an actual chance to win.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Fuck yeah! Americans love prayer. We need a strong spiritual leader! Time for real change.
The National Day of Prayer (36 U.S.C. § 119)[1] is an annual day of observance held on the first Thursday of May, designated by the United States Congress, when people are asked "to turn to God in prayer and meditation". Each year, the president signs a proclamation, encouraging all Americans to pray on this day.[2] The modern law formalizing its annual observance was enacted in 1952, although it has historical origins to a mandate by George Washington, the first president of the United States.[3][4][5]

Its constitutionality is being challenged in court by the Freedom From Religion Foundation after their first challenge was unanimously dismissed by a federal appellate court in April 2011.[6][7][8]
Wiki page.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Didn't Little Barry just have a muslim dinner thing at the White House - that seems a lot more zealotry & divisive than some dumb prayer at the Astrodome
But "Little Barry" isnt Muslim. Again, Im not arguing for or against Obama, he is in office so get over it. This is about the right wing religious nutjob that has thrown his hat into the ring. Maybe he will try to pick up Bachmann and it will be the ticket from hell.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Just....inherited.....from Bush....you know the drill....

Bush Celebrates Ramadan With Muslims at White House

Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:43 pm

President Bush welcomed Muslim leaders to the White House Monday evening for the traditional meal that marks the end of the daily Ramadan fast. The guests also included Muslim-Americans who serve as fire-fighters, police officers, and members of the military.

It has become an annual event at the White House, an opportunity for the president to honor the Muslim-American community by hosting an Iftaar dinner.

In the past, the guest list has been made up largely of religious leaders and ambassadors from countries with large Muslim populations.

This year, there were new faces in the State Dining Room for the meal of soup, fish and pear soufflé. They were the faces of American Muslims whose life work is public service.

"We have with us New York City police officers and an EMT [emergency medical technician] worker who risked their lives to serve their fellow citizens on 9/11, a military doctor and a member of the Navy chaplain corps, members of our foreign service, and military veterans who have served in Afghanistan and Iraq," said President Bush.

President Bush praised these men, saying they bring credit to their faith, and by their deeds make America a better and stronger country.

The president went on to say the United States also appreciates the many Muslim nations that stand with America in the war on terror. He noted that several of them sent representatives to the White House Iftaar dinner.

"We welcome you here," he said. "We are proud to work with you to defeat the terrorists and extremists and help bring a brighter future to millions of Muslim people throughout the world who yearn for moderation and peace."

This was the sixth Iftaar dinner hosted by President Bush at the White House. The first was held after the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States as part of an effort to convince the Muslim-American community that its contributions to the nation are appreciated, and to underscore the message that the United States is waging war on terrorism and not on Islam.

http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-10-16-voa65.cfm

Danesy

Cute but psycho, it all evens out.
Jun 5, 2006
Satellite of Love
President Bush welcomed Muslim leaders to the White House Monday evening for the traditional meal that marks the end of the daily Ramadan fast. The guests also included Muslim-Americans who serve as fire-fighters, police officers, and members of the military.

It has become an annual event at the White House, an opportunity for the president to honor the Muslim-American community by hosting an Iftaar dinner.
Apparently every president does this. Like Fletcher I'm not defending Obama here, but it's not like he's the first president to have Muslims in the white house. I think Rick Perry is a far right wing religious nut job that I wouldn't want even close to running this country. I think it's all pointless anyway cause he doesn't have a shot in hell of winning. I think it's going to be Mitt Romney anyway.