Texas Ranger's Fan Dies After Falling Over Barricade

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/te...er-falling-over-fence-at-rangers-ballpark.ece

A fan reaching to catch a ball died after he fell over the left-field wall at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington during the second inning of Thursday night’s game.
The man, whose name hasn’t been released, had been reaching over the rail for a foul ball tossed into the stands by Rangers left fielder Josh Hamilton during the game against the Oakland A’s.
The man, who was sitting in the left-field lower-level reserved seats, fell about 20 feet in the area behind a wall supporting a video screen.
“We are deeply saddened to learn that the man who fell has passed away as a result of this tragic accident. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family,” said Nolan Ryan, Rangers CEO and president.
It is routine for players to throw balls that are out of play into the stands.
“As anyone would be, Josh is very distraught about this, as the whole team is.” Ryan said.
The man was treated by Rangers medical personnel before being taken to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth.
The Rangers’ TV broadcast did not show the incident, but the A’s broadcast did, returning to it during a break in the action on the field.
Ronnie Hargis was sitting next to the man, who was at the game with his young son. The men had been talking to each other before the accident.
“He went straight down. I tried to grab him, but I couldn’t. I tried to slow him down a little bit,” Hargis said.
Witnesses said the victim’s head was bleeding badly.
David Dodson was at the game with his daughter and saw the fall.
“Just as the ball hit his hand, it kind of threw him off balance and he just went head-first,” Dodson said. “It looked awful because you knew there was no way he was going to land on his feet. … The way he fell, it looked like it was just straight on his head.”
Rangers manager Ron Washington said several players saw the incident unfold. The Rangers played the rest of the game, winning 6-0, without knowing the spectator had died.
“We knew about it, but we didn’t know exactly what had happened,” he said.
On July 6, 2010, a fan plunged 30 feet from the upper deck at the stadium while trying to catch a foul ball during a game between the Rangers and the Cleveland Indians.
That man, 25-year-old Tyler Morris of Rio Vista, landed on several people below, suffering a fractured skull and a sprained ankle.
Ryan said after last year’s accident that he thought the stadium’s railing heights were adequate.
“The ballpark was built above specs, and we feel good about that,” Ryan said.
In 1994, 26-year-old Hollye Minter of Plano fell 35 feet from the upper deck during the home opener against the Milwaukee Brewers.
Minter suffered fractured vertebrae, broken ribs and teeth, and shoulder and leg injuries.
After that incident, the Rangers raised some of the stadium’s railings and added warning signs.
Staff writer Gerry Fraley, WFAA-TV and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Before he left his house today he swore to his family he would catch a foul ball tonight, even i ti killed him.

Video at this link http://www.sportsgrid.com/mlb/watch-a-rangers-fan-go-tumbling-over-the-outfield-fence/

Sep 28, 2010
If it was free umbrella day he could have sailed down to the field like that trick ass hoe Marry Poppins

unklewilly

Nov 13, 2006
he died doing what he loved...grabbing at balls

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I love the announcer laughing, saying the guy was just trying to get on TV by making a "spectacular play". What a dick...
That dudes going to have to have a mini-apology tour tomorrow.

Also, it's no big deal replaying some fan falling over a rail, but god forbid you show a guy running onto the field.

I assume that Hamilton will just chalk this up to "God's plan".
Josh's plan - Make around $50,000 standing around on some grass
Fan's plan - Fall to death on ball thrown by Hamilton

Papagolash

24.24.2.2194 [Incarcerated]
Wackbag Staff
Nov 11, 2001
Hahahaha Josh Hamilton killed someone. Where is your god now, bitch?

Sep 28, 2010
I gotta be there when Josh Hamilton relapses again.

lockjaaaaww

All out of Bubble Gum.
Apr 26, 2008
bohemia, ny
if he died by falling trying to catch a ball hit in the air that would be one thing but a foul ball thrown into the crowd, what a clumsy idiot. If he lived it would be a blooper video.

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Those railings will be 48" high after the all-star break
It is odd that there's a 3-4 foot gap there, with a 15+ foot fall.
Will someone sue the Rangers? (Probably)
It's a 7 dollar baseball... If I were at a game, and one rolled by my feet I wouldn't even pick it up.

Papagolash

24.24.2.2194 [Incarcerated]
Wackbag Staff
Nov 11, 2001
Good job Josh, you killed a fireman.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Ronnie Hargis was sitting next to the man, who was at the game with his young son
Please tell me he has a brother named Paul...

And ooof at the announcers yucking it up. Waddle doodleedoo tomorrow.

iSpeakEloquent

HENRIK LUUUUUUUUUUUNDQVIST
Sep 3, 2004
Smithtown, NY
It's a 7 dollar baseball... If I were at a game, and one rolled by my feet I wouldn't even pick it up.
its mlb's greedy fault, they used to be $7, now they come in plastic cases and cost $20....1 day after the 1 year anniversary of the last fan in that stadium that fell out of the stands, someone tell this guy he fucked up

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
Sad for the guy but what an idiot. I am amazed at the lengths people go through to get a damn ball. Really is it that important and I dont blame Hamilton at all, hell they should just stop the practice of throwing the balls into the stands anyway.

This guy dies but the guy who caught the football in the end zone tunnel only broke his leg, sucks to be you I guess

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
Hey, the guy may have died at the hands of Josh Hamilton, but look on the bright side, his kid now has a lifetime memory of The Ballpark at Arlington.

Sep 28, 2010
Hey, the guy may have died at the hands of Josh Hamilton, but look on the bright side, his kid now has a lifetime memory of The Ballpark at Arlington.
Damn, now I feel bad.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Good parenting job dad. Your son's last memory of you is seeing your uncoordinated ass falling away from him.

Douche.

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Liar liar pants on fire.
What am I going to do with a baseball, I'd just let it go by and some kid can have it.
We used to have season tickets, when I was like 10-12 I'd try to get autographs. I've thrown away at least 50 balls with like Rondell White's autograph, and balls I've got from BP.

I like how there's the fact that Hamilton said he could hear the guy's kid screaming and yelling, that has to mess with you.

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Oct 13, 2004
Your Mom's box.
I have gotten a ton of baseballs at BP too. I have no idea where 95% of them are now. I am just saying if one rolled to your feet, you would pick it up.