"Thanks Obama!" - Oil spill in Mayflower, Arkansas neighborhood.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?


By Suzi Parker and Kristen Hays
MAYFLOWER, Ark./HOUSTON (Reuters) - Exxon Mobil continued efforts on Monday to clean up thousands of barrels of heavy Canadian crude oil spilled from a near 65-year-old pipeline in Arkansas, as a debate raged about the safety of transporting rising volumes of the fuel into the United States.
The Pegasus pipeline, which ruptured in a housing development near the town of Mayflower on Friday, spewing oil across lawns and down residential streets, remained shut and a company spokesman declined to speculate about when it would be fixed and restarted.
Exxon, which was fined in 2010 for not inspecting a portion of the Pegasus line with sufficient frequency, had yet to excavate the area around the Pegasus pipeline breach on Monday, a critical step in assessing damage and determining how and why it leaked.
Twenty-two homes in the affected area were evacuated and the smell of oil permeated the town on Monday.
The spill has stoked a discussion about the environmental dangers of using aging pipelines to transport heavy crude from Canada, including tar sands, as a boom in oil and gas production in North America increases volumes moving across the continent.
The Pegasus line, which can transport more than 90,000 barrels per day of crude from Patoka, Illinois to Nederland, Texas, was carrying Canadian Wabasca Heavy crude at the time of the leak, a bitumen oil from the massive Pelican Lake field in northern Alberta. It needs to be blended with lighter oils or natural gas liquids to flow through pipelines.
"An influx of tar sands on the U.S. pipeline network poses greater risks to pipeline integrity, challenges for leak detection systems and significantly increased impacts to sensitive water resources," environmental group the Natural Resources Defense Council said in an emailed note on Monday.
Exxon did not yet have a specific figure of how much oil was released when the 20-inch line ruptured on Friday. The company said Sunday that 12,000 barrels of oil and water had been recovered. It had no information on when the pipeline last underwent maintenance.
An oil spill of more than 1,000 barrels in Wisconsin last summer kept an Enbridge Inc pipeline shuttered for around 11 days.
Exxon, the world's largest publicly traded oil company, is no stranger to incidents on its lines and has in the past been fined for not inspecting Pegasus frequently enough.
In November 2010, the U.S. Department of Transportation slapped ExxonMobil Pipeline Co with a fine of $26,200 for allegedly allowing more than 5 years to lapse between inspections of a stretch of Pegasus that underlies the Mississippi River, between Missouri and Illinois, last decade.
The Exxon subsidiary did not contest the fine levied by the Office of Pipeline Safety, according to documents on the PHMSA website.
Since 2006, according to PHMSA, "incidents" on pipelines controlled by ExxonMobil Pipeline Co or Mobil Pipeline Co caused more than $147 million in property damage and spilled 6,830 "gross barrels" of hazardous liquids.
Another pipeline company operated by an oil major, Shell Pipeline Co, LP, inflicted around $50 million in property damage over the same period, according to PHMSA data, spilling 11,019 gross barrels.
The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) said in a recent report that more than half of the nation's pipelines were built in the 1950s and 1960s in response to higher energy demand after World War II.
Some, like Pegasus, were built earlier. Exxon spokesman Charles Engelmann said the ruptured section of the pipeline was installed in the late 1940s.
To prevent and track corrosion buildup, pipelines are periodically "pigged," or cleaned with a device that moves through the line to remove buildup of hydrocarbons, dirt, and other substances. Often the device is outfitted with sensors that point out areas of corrosion or wear-and-tear that need repair.
(Writing by Edward McAllister in New York, additional reporting by Scott Haggett in Calgary and Joshua Schneyer in New York; Editing by Gerald E. McCormick, David Gregorio and Nick Zieminski)


One road flare and its a flaming mess of epic proportions.


En Taro Anthony
It's the fault of the sequester. Damn GOP.


PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Do these morons understand people use to have to drill for months to get what they have? Get out there with fucking buckets.
Better blame him for this as well..

PORTSMOUTH — The Sarah Mildred Long Bridge was closed Monday after sustaining an unknown amount of damage when a tanker carrying tallow oil broke away from the state pier and struck the downriver side of the recently repaired span.

Officials were forced to close the bridge to vehicular traffic at about 1:30 p.m., after the 473-foot-long MV Harbour Feature struck the Sarah Long Bridge, which connects Portsmouth and Kittery, Maine, on the Route 1 Bypass.

It is unknown how long the bridge will be closed. However, officials said it would be shut down at least until today in order to allow crews to inspect the damage. No one was injured and there was no spillage reported.

Officials set up a command post near the bridge that included transportation officials from both Maine and New Hampshire, as well as police, fire, Port Authority and Coast Guard officials. Also responding to the scene was Coast Guard Marine Safety Detachment Portsmouth Harbor, a MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod, N.H. Marine Patrol and Maine Department of Environmental Protection.

Bill Boynton, public information officer for the N.H. Department of Transportation, said a more detailed inspection of the bridge wasn't expected to take place until this morning.

"There was damage to the bridge," he said. "We are still trying to assess the severity of it."
Boynton said it was unclear how the large ship got away from the state pier and struck the bridge. The tanker was freed from next to the bridge at about 6 p.m.

How long the bridge will be closed to vehicular traffic won't be known until crews can determine the extent of the damage done to the bridge, Boynton said.

"They need to climb around the bridge and look at the damage and what might be involved for repairs," he said.

Maine DOT spokesman Ted Talbot also said there is a chance, depending on the extent of the damage, that the bridge could be closed for several days.

"Until inspectors can get their eyes on it, all we can do is speculate," he said.

Talbot said any structural damage to the bridge must be repaired before it can be reopened to vehicular traffic.

Coast Guard officials said the crew aboard the Harbour Feature reported a 6- to 12-inch rupture above the waterline of the vessel near the port ballast tank.

Assistant Fire Chief Steve Achilles, who was on scene shortly after the bridge was struck, said it appeared the damage was limited to the sidewalk area and not the main bridge structure.

Achilles said the tanker hit the bridge sideways and sustained some port-side damage in the incident, along with some scrapes to its hull. He said there was an unknown number of people aboard the vessel.

The fast-moving tide of the Piscataqua River continued to push the tanker against the piers underneath the bridge, causing a small crane on the port side toward the stern to become wedged.

Port Director Geno Marconi said while it is unclear how the ship came adrift, he said that nothing went wrong at the port itself. "Nothing failed on the dock here," he said.

In addition to local, state and regional transportation and safety officials, the incident attracted attention from at least one member of Maine's Congressional delegation.

U.S. Rep. Chellie Pingree issued a statement not long after the incident, saying she was satisfied with the coordinated response to the accident.
Pingree also said alcohol and drug tests were to be conducted on the crew.

N.H. Gov. Maggie Hassan is expected to tour the bridge site today.

According to MarineTraffic.com, the MV Harbour Feature is classified as an oil/chemical tanker built in 2011 and based out of Portugal. The site states the vessel's last known port was Savannah, Ga., and it arrived in Portsmouth on April 1.

This is the latest incident to plague the Long Bridge, which is expected to be replaced for $172 million by fall 2017. In January, the bridge was closed for four days due to a lift span malfunction.

With the new Memorial Bridge still under construction, the Sarah Long is one of only two bridges connecting Portsmouth and Kittery. The other is the Piscataqua River Bridge on Interstate 95.

I used that bridge last Thursday... phew...

Actually if it stays closed really going to suck during the summer as that is the back way for cheap booze in NH...


Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.

too soon?
Meh the bridge is going to be closed for 2 to 4 weeks... a boo.
Yaaay it's back open...

Sarah Long Bridge reopens ahead of schedule

PORTSMOUTH — The Sarah Mildred Long Bridge reopened Monday, ahead of schedule and six weeks to the day since a vessel struck and damaged it April 1.

The bridge opened to traffic around 11 a.m., said Bill Boynton, N.H. Department of Transportation spokesman. It was slated to open no later than May 25.

“They made great progress over the weekend,” said Boynton of contractor Cianbro Corporation, as well as their subcontractors and the Maine and New Hampshire DOTs. “A lot of people worked together to get it done.”

He said it was particularly gratifying that the bridge opened so far in advance of Memorial Day weekend.

With the Long Bridge now opened, motorists can travel on two bridges between the two states. While it was closed, only the Piscataqua River Bridge was opened. The new Memorial Bridge is not slated to open until this summer.

The bridge was damaged when the 475-foot MV Harbour Feature snapped its moorings and drifted with the tide into the bridge. Two vertical beams were bent and had to be replaced. A section along the bottom of the bridge, called the chord, was damaged and was “heat straightened” by a special subcontractor from Michigan.

Crews had been working daily, including weekends, to complete the repair work.

“Cianbro has a lot of experience with bridges, and they knew what they were doing,” said Boynton.

The damage was estimated at $2.4 million, but Boynton said Monday the actual cost will probably be less. He said he did not have a final dollar amount, and may not for several days.

Last month, the states of Maine and New Hampshire filed a federal lawsuit to recover the cost of damages against the owners, Sechste Nordtank-Hamburg GmbH & Co. KG and TB Marine Shipmanagement GmbH & Co. of Hamburg, Germany. The owners subsequently filed documents seeking restitution of the $2.4 million bond they had to post before the Harbour Feature could leave Portsmouth.

As of Monday, no further documents had been filed in connection with the case.

The Sarah Long Bridge is New Hampshire's No. 1 red-listed bridge. A project to replace the bridge is expected to begin in the fall of 2014.

Would have sucked if it was closed for memorial day...


Last month, the states of Maine and New Hampshire filed a federal lawsuit to recover the cost of damages against the owners, Sechste Nordtank-Hamburg GmbH & Co. KG and TB Marine Shipmanagement GmbH & Co. of Hamburg, Germany. The owners subsequently filed documents seeking restitution of the $2.4 million bond they had to post before the Harbour Feature could leave Portsmouth.
Greedy Nazi fuckbags.