The 10 Best McDonald's Meals You Won't Find in the U.S.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
The 10 Best McDonald's Meals You Won't Find in the U.S.

From French breakfast sandwiches to Japanese shrimp burgers, the international creations that helped McDonald's win the Great Recession.
BY SULOME ANDERSON | OCTOBER 8, 2012

McDonald's has over 32,000 locations in 119 countries, and part of its international success is due to clever attempts to appeal to local customers by inventing food tailored to their tastes. From Paris to Delhi, here's a list of the top ten McDonald's meals Americans are missing out on.

India: BigSpicy Paneer Wrap
This fast food take on a common Indian street food is both spicy and vegetarian, making it a hit at the 271 McDonald's locations in India. Made with breaded paneer, a type of South Asian cheese, the BigSpicy Paneer Wrap is one of many vegetarian McDonald's innovations, which have been so successful that the chain plans to open two all-vegetarian locations in India next year.

Japan: Ebi Filet-O
Part of McDonald's Japan President Eikoh Harada's push to tailor food to Japanese taste, the Ebi Filet-O generated sales of 10 million in the first three months after its launch in October 2005. Made with breaded shrimp, this Japanese version of the classic Filet-O-Fish is modeled after the traditional Japanese dish of shrimp tempura and costs around $5.70 in Tokyo.

Turkey: Kofteburger
The Kofteburger is the McDonaldization of kofte, a type of Turkish kebab made with mint and parsley. So authentic that even the bun is sprinkled with parsley, the Kofteburger has been a hit with Turkish customers, and as one American visitor put it, "it's good but it doesn't taste like a burger...it tastes very...Turkish."

Thailand: Samurai Pork Burger
The name says it all. Featuring a pork patty marinated in Teriyaki sauce and smothered in peppers, the Samurai Pork burger is McDonald's attempt to put a Thai twist on the classic Big Mac, although the fast food giant may be a little off the geographical mark on this one. As one customer asks, "Why does it have a Japanese name when I'm in Thailand?"

Morocco: The McArabia
Priced at about $6.50, variations on the McArabia are available in countries across the Middle East. But Moroccans, especially, seem to have taken to this cumin-spiced flatbread beef sandwich. As one customer told the Global Post, "Honestly, it tastes Moroccan."

China: Prosperity Burger
A seasonal item only available around the Chinese New Year, the Prosperity Burger is made with beef smothered in black pepper sauce and onions. Customers in China and other East Asian countries can also enjoy local delicacies like taro pie, a variation of the classic apple version, as well as red bean sundaes.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
France: Croque McDo
The country that immortalized the "Royale with Cheese" in the classic film Pulp Fiction has another local McDonald's creation to boast about. This take on the croque-monsieur, the classic French open-faced ham and cheese sandwich, is popular with Parisians and tourists alike. As one American visitor to France exclaimed about the breakfast sandwich in her blog: "this was no American Happy Meal."

Poland: The WiesMac
This quarter-pound beef patty, translated into English as the "Country Mac," is served with mustard and horseradish sauce on a sesame bun. "Everytime I eat WiesMac...I want to die," says one Polish customer in an online discussion, "But it is very tasty." Apparently, McDonald's guilt transcends differences of language and culture.

Mexico: McMollete
The Mexican versionof a McMuffin minus the egg, this international McDonald's breakfast creation consists of refried beans, cheese, and pico de gallo, or Mexican salsa, atop a muffin. The dish takes its inspiration from molletes, a classic Mexican comfort food.

The Netherlands: McKroket
When McDonald's first moved to the Netherlands in the seventies, they tried to tempt Dutch customers with erwtensoep, or pea soup. Although that venture was unsuccessful, the McKroket has proven a much more profitable local item. A deep-fried patty of beef ragout on a bun, the McKroket costs roughly $2.50 and is McDonald's take on the traditional Dutch croquet.
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articl...onalds_meals_you_wont_find_in_the_us?page=0,0

I so want to try most of these.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
They should test a lot of these in teh states. I would try most of them also.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
And Fark added this, so here:

in Czech you can get the McSmazak, which is like a mozzarella stick made into a patty and put on a bun. It's called Smazeny Syr (fried cheese) and it's the best late night drinking snack.

Russia:

Kenya:

Hawaii:

Down under:

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
The fried mozzarella sandwich from the Czech Republic sounds good. The rest of it sounds and looks nasty. Give me McNuggets, a McRib, or a Southern Chicken Sandwich over those things any day.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
They serve the McArabia in Bahrain. It's soooo delicious. I would get it 4 or 5 times a week on my way back to my flat.

Dec 12, 2007
The turkey and seafood stuff looks good.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom

China: Prosperity Burger
A seasonal item only available around the Chinese New Year, the Prosperity Burger is made with beef smothered in black pepper sauce and onions.
Looks scrumptious.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Don't forget the rice and spaghetti and fried chicken in the Philippines.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I want to eat the Paneer Wrap.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
Remember - Pics of fast food sandwiches look much better than what you actually get

That being said
I'd probably try any of the above
Except for that Kenya shit

The Aussie lamb pattie is the most appealing to me
Haven't had a lamb pattie since I was a kid
Might have to buy some ground lamb this week

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
i've had a chicken big mac in Dubai. It was delicious.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Remember - Pics of fast food sandwiches look much better than what you actually get

That being said
I'd probably try any of the above
Except for that Kenya shit

The Aussie lamb pattie is the most appealing to me
Haven't had a lamb pattie since I was a kid
Might have to buy some ground lamb this week
I made lamb-stuffed eggplant a couple days ago.

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Poutine probably sounds more awesome than it is. How much taste could those little cheese nugget fuckers have? Probably not too much. It's probably more like disco fries minus cheese sauce plus cottage cheese, which is like fries + gravy + tofu.

Throw some bleu goat cheese chunks in them shits like proper frenchmen and I'll be interested.

(heneededthemoney)

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
I'll tell you what's a can't miss hockey food. Nachos with the cheese sauce made in vats to it stays HOOOOOTTT. You dip your nachos in there and they practically wilt, in about a minute, like cinnamon toast crunch in milk. Then there are sliced jalepenos spread over top. Not fiery at all, just good.

But the key is the lava-like liquid hotness of the cheese. It's industrial strength when it comes out of those vats. The integrity of the nacho doesn't stand a chance.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Poutine probably sounds more awesome than it is. How much taste could those little cheese nugget fuckers have? Probably not too much. It's probably more like disco fries minus cheese sauce plus cottage cheese, which is like fries + gravy + tofu.

Throw some bleu goat cheese chunks in them shits like proper frenchmen and I'll be interested.

(heneededthemoney)
It's actually cheese curds... like the uncured cheese bits... pretty common in Canada... I don't think the McDonalds serve it in Ontario but KFC does.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
It's actually cheese curds... like the uncured cheese bits... pretty common in Canada... I don't think the McDonalds serve it in Ontario but KFC does.
KFC used to serve them here. They were fucking fantastic.