The 2011 hunting thread

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Hunting season has been under way for a while now and I have only taken one shot.

At an apple.

Pulverized it with a youth model Remington 870 20 gauge. It looked tasty tumbling gently through the air but there was really nothing left after the shot. Came to the ground in tiny bits.

On a side note....going to start shooting a different broadhead this year. The Magnus Buzzcut.

Looking forward to seeing how well they work. Plenty of deer, tasty deer, in the area. Archery season opened for me on September 24th. Finally put in for tags today. Will be here in time for a weekend hunt.

Pheasant season is probably going to suck. Early counts show our population to be down by around 40%. Actually, suck is probably a bit of a harsh prediction. The estimated pheasant population in South Dakota for 2010 was just shy of 10 million. If the 2011 estimates are accurate, there are still about 7 pheasants for every SD resident. So, things will suck because it will take 2-3 hours to shoot a limit of pheasants instead of 45 minutes to an hour.

There are more ducks and geese around here than there have been in over a decade. More water too. Planning a couple of duck hunts in early November with friends who are a bit overboard with all things waterfowl related.

Here's a picture of my first arrow from two seasons ago.

This tree sacrificed itself so that deer could live to see another day. The tree did not survive.

Freed that head, sharpened it and put it back into service. Took a shot a couple days later at a nice buck. Thought he was right at 45 yards. Missed. Found a pile of deer hair where he was standing at 50 yards. Fiddlesticks.

My cousin shot him with a rifle 10 days later.

Could have been my biggest archery buck ever.

Finally got this one during an awful cold spell right before a snowstorm hit. Shot the evening of December 13th. Found the morning of December 14th. Tracked him for almost a mile in total before he keeled over.

jimmyslostchin

Malarkey is slang for bullshit isn't it?
Jun 8, 2005
NJ
I've been waiting for this thread! Opening day is Saturday and it's my first time deer hunting, first time bow hunting and first time hunting in about 15 years. I cannot fucking wait.

Is that quick or shrink fletch on your arrows Haeder? Or is it regular fletching with a wrap?

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
I've been waiting for this thread! Opening day is Saturday and it's my first time deer hunting, first time bow hunting and first time hunting in about 15 years. I cannot fucking wait.

Is that quick or shrink fletch on your arrows Haeder? Or is it regular fletching with a wrap?
It's a shrink fletch. Just had them removed from the dozen arrows that they were on and replaced with glued on 2" blazer vanes. The shrink fletch on those arrows started to wear out after a couple of years. Looked decent enough but they didn't hold up very well. Think they were the el-cheapo models though.

You hunting in NJ?

Is it difficult to find a decent place to hunt?

jimmyslostchin

Jun 8, 2005
NJ
Cool, I was thinking of trying them on some arrows this year. I want to try the blazer version.

There's plenty of public land in NJ, the nice thing with bow season, especially early season or the beginning of fall bow is you can find some decent spots. I'd love to make friends with private land owners, but it's tough, so I'll take what I can get on public land.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
eh, i dont see me doing much other than maybe some small game this year, although there is a possibility of a new spot, if i bow hunted i could hunt in my back yard every morning if i wanted to. i did hang my oil skins outside last night to air them out and rinse off some of the mold, stupid me forgot to hang them up after using them for some brush cutting this spring and they got really really funky in the basement.

Gladys kravitz

Dec 2, 2006
Illinois
Heading up to our place in Wisconsin this weekend to do some bowhunting and can't wait. Last couple of years bowhunting has been tough due to low deer herds in our zone(saw more bear than deer). This year we have seen a lot more deer and looks promising. I was up there 3 weeks ago putting up stands and we kicked up several grouse, gotta love the noise when you jump them, so needless to say I'm also ready for grouse hunting as well. Good luck Haeder with those new broadheads, let us know how they do for ya.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I made it out opening weekend (which was the 17th), our club has a big opening day hunt that I try to make it to every year. Passed on a couple small/medium sized bucks and kinda wish I didn't, because now I just found out I have to spend 2-3 weeks at the end of the season working in Oregon, and it's going to be hard to make it back out there before then.

We also saw a lot more bear than deer this year... my cousin was challenged by a sow opening day while field dressing his buck.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
bears are getting quite uppity lately, north eastern pa and Jersey is having a hell of a time with them. ive contemplated going bear hunting but just dont have the ambition

jimmyslostchin

Jun 8, 2005
NJ
bears are getting quite uppity lately, north eastern pa and Jersey is having a hell of a time with them. ive contemplated going bear hunting but just dont have the ambition
I don't either. Too much hassle here and we're full of anti-hunters. Too much work for too little reward.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Yeah it's pretty easy to tag a bear, but then getting the fucking thing field dressed and to the butcher is a pain in the ass. Every year I tell myself I'm going to buy a tag, but then logic wins out.

Plus the fucking thing would probably sit in the freezer at my parent's house for the next two years.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
they almost give bear tags away in the Poconos but i just cant justify the time and dragging the friggen thing out of the woods

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Good luck Haeder with those new broadheads, let us know how they do for ya.
Found this picture on another bowhunting forum.

First bowhunt planned for this weekend. Going after large bucks only. Too warm to kill a doe.

jimmyslostchin

Jun 8, 2005
NJ
There was fuck all moving in the woods yesterday. Too much rain. Can't wait for the cold snap later in the week.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
They sure are... I shoot them with my .22 off my back deck. Next I'll start pumping slugs into them if they keep fucking with my garbage.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Might go hunting for wild hogs in WV with my cousin sometime next year. Never gone before, but I am very proficient with a firearm. It should be a good time.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
We're getting three or four days of rain this week, so I plan on heading out Thursday or Friday. My uncle saw eight 3-pointers or better after the last rain out at our place. Also still a ton of bears... I might get a tag just in case I don't tag a buck.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Hunted ducks on Saturday (10/1). 70-something degrees and windy.

Dropped two hunters and three dozen decoys off shortly after 1:00 pm. A couple die hards, they were. Too hot for me to sit there all afternoon. Joined them around 4:00 pm and they had moved about a hundred yards south to another little puddle in the same pasture with only two decoys. Two decoys is more than enough when you are sitting on the exact little patch of water that every duck wants to use to seek refuge from the wind. They had ten ducks down when I settled into their makeshift blind.

Every duck we saw north of us flew south - into the wind - and right by us. It was fun to watch. Mostly teal and gadwall that we let fly by or land in the decoys.

Shot my six duck limit in about two hours. Two pintails, a mallard, a widgeon, a gadwall and a bluewing teal. The other guys dropped two more and we were limited with lots of daylight remaining. No spectacularly colored ducks this early.

We packed up for the day an hour before sunset.

Moving on to archery hunting next weekend.

doomvulture

Lord of Jailbait
May 12, 2009
Maine
4 turkeys and one muskrat. Not much time to hunt, just shit I shoot out the window of my truck with my 22 at work. Seen a few deer around, a 6pt and 10pt buck among them. With as much driving as I do in this small area doing this pipeline I should be able to see one in November, and then my 20guage will be behind the seat with a slug and buck shot in.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
August 18: Day 6 of Hunting (A day I will never forget)

Got up real early and left for Sengwe II. Picked up the Game Scout and the local villager again. We immediately cut the spoor of 2 old Dugga Boys. We saddled up for the stalk, but barely 30 minutes into the stalk they turned down wind and were staying ahead of us. They knew we were there. So we went back to the truck and looked for some more spoor. We soon found where a small herd had cross the road with several big bulls in the group. We saddled up again and started the stalk. This went better, within 2 hours, we had seen the herd and saw where 4 Bulls had left the herd and were off grazing by themselves. We soon caught up with them. We were in rolling country and the 4 bulls were on a sidehill opposite of us at about 50 yards feeding. I could only see one of them well enough to shoot. Nixon said he was a big bull and I should shoot him. Up went the sticks. I found his head, neck and front shoulder, but the rest was covered by some brush. I pulled up to the left front shoulder and touched off the .416 Rigby. All the bulls scampered over the ridge out of sight. We went over there and very soon after we went over the ridge found a very good blood trail. Nixon said that he had a broken leg as well, because he was falling and stumbling as he ran. As I would find out later, my shot had hit the bull broadside in the left front shoulder, narrowly missing the heart, lunged him, passed through and broke the right front leg. All four bulls were running together but were out of sight when we started trailing the blood. There was an excellent blood trail that was easy to follow. We went maybe a 100 yds when the trail went into a thick pile of brush. Nixon, said no. They may be in there waiting. So went to the left and around to the back side of the brush. There we found the tracks of 3 bulls exiting the brush, but no blood trail. So, we started looking around the opposite side of the brush looking for blood. At this point, the tracker was at the 8:00 O'clock position, Nixon was at the 7:00 O'clock position, and I was at about the 6:00 O'clock position, maybe 10 yards from Nixon, all looking down for blood. Then, the tracker started pointing to the 12:00 O'clock position back in the brush, saying "there he is". The wounded Buff was lying down.

THE CHARGE

I started running towards Nixon so I could shoot the Buffalo. As I was running, I saw Nixon put his rifle to his shoulder and yell "He's Coming". I was just beginning to see the Buffalo, he was about 30 yards away, but what I saw was this huge black freight train at an all out gallop (broken leg and all) heading straight for Nixon. Nixon fired once just before I arrived and I ended up standing 3 yards to Nixon's right. I shouldered my rifle, Nixon shot again, I shot, Nixon shot again, I shot again, and now the Buffalo was very close to Nixon, I shot again. I knew Nixon was shooting for the brain, and I, not having a true straight-on shot but with a slight angle to the right of the Buffalo, was shooting for the boiler room, from the point of the left shoulder to the nape of the neck. All shots connected. I could see the bull shudder at every shot. At this point, the bull had been shot in the left shoulder, lunged, broken right leg, a bullet hole in the right boss, a bullet hole over the left eye, a broken lower jaw and three shots to the left side boiler room from me. None of Nixon's shots hit the brain and none of my shots stopped him. The Buff hit Nixon at almost a full gallop, sending Nixon flying and down to the ground. Before I could say "Oh ****", the Buff made a hard left turn and hit me. I braced for the hit and turned slightly to my right to avoid a full frontal bashing. My rifle went flying, and he immediately swept me with his right side horn goring me in the left lower butt. He tried this right horn sweep again and I moved just enough that he missed and went up my left side leg and ended up with his horn under my Ammo belt. That may have saved me. I immediately grabbed his left side horn with my right hand and held on for dear life. We were hooked together by that ammo belt and he started shaking me like a rat to get me off his horn. Eventually, the horn came loose and I was lucky enough to grab his right horn with my left hand. Now I had hold of both horns, riding out in front on his head and he tried to shake me off and in the ensuing rodeo I bashed my face against his boss. Then, all of a sudden, he crashed to the ground with me still holding on to both horns. He slammed me to the ground on my back and his head and neck were on my left leg and torso. He was trying to pick his head up, so I let go and as he picked his head up, I scrambled out of there and ran about 2 or 3 yards away. At that point I hollered for someone to shoot him again before he gets up. I did not know if Nixon was alive or dead, but suddenly I see Nixon come running up from my right. He didn't have a rifle. What I didn't know was that Nixon's rifle had been broken in half from the force of the ramming he took and was unusable. Then I realized that it was over, the Buff couldn't get up, he was dying. I was relieved. The Buff had landed on the butt stock of my Rigby and Nixon came over, grabbed it by the barrel and pulled it out from under the Buff. Nixon cleared the spent shell, put the fourth one in and fired just under the left eye of the bull, putting him down for good.

I began to take inventory of my body parts. Miraculously, I didn't have a single broken bone, all my teeth were there, but I had taken a good bashing to the left side of my face. I was bleeding just below my left eye, bleeding from the bridge of the nose, my lip was split and bleeding, my chin was split and bleeding, my left elbow area was bleeding, my left shin was bleeding and my *** was bleeding. I dropped my pants and checked were I had been gored, finding a nice gash about an inch and a half deep on my lower butt, way too close to my two favorite boys. My left hand was badly sprained and very swollen. My left side torso was badly bruised. However, I was very happy with the results, it occured to me as I was being gored that this may end badly. I am, fortunately, not a free bleeder and my wounds quit bleeding very quickly. Nixon was more fortunate because the bull had jumped on me, leaving Nixon alone, he only had some bad bruising and a broken rifle.

Well, I had a very nice 40" Cape Buffalo. I am very proud of him and glad to be here to write this report. I don't think I give a s*** for Kruger genetics though. They can keep them cheeky b******s.

====================

Ok.....that's a hunting story that I'll never be able to equal.

The only thing tougher or meaner than a snapping turtle may be a cape buffalo.

jimmyslostchin

Jun 8, 2005
NJ
Heading out in the morning again. The temp should be cooler so hopefully they'll be moving, and no rain finally.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Heading out tomorrow also for a couple of days. We had a week of rain here that finally just let up. Gonna probably be the last chance I'll have this season, as I have to go work in Oregon for the second half of the month.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
First archery hunt of the season - 10/6/2011

35 mph south winds. Sat on the ground inside of a 5 acre tree strip. Two rows of cedars on the south side blocked the wind nicely.

A great horned owl landed in a tree 10 yards north of me. We watched each other for about 5 minutes. He was intently watching some ducks on the water to the east. He took off when the ducks left. Owls have really creepy, giant, yellow eyes.

A couple dozen pheasants came into the trees and got to within ten yards before they saw me and took off. Pheasants have excellent eyesight. The best of any critter in our area. Don't think I've ever had a pheasant look in my direction that did not see me. No matter how well hidden I was.

A deer came in too. A little deer with short little spike antlers that barely poked above his ears. He came in downwind. Had to have caught my scent but young bucks are all half retarded. Cooperative little bugger. Stopped broadside - in the open - at 25 yards for something like 30 seconds. He was looking away from me the entire time and offered me a perfect shot opportunity. Too small. Let him walk.

Not a bad first hunt.

jimmyslostchin

Jun 8, 2005
NJ
Had a great day yesterday too. Saw my first bear, he walked right past my stand on the left side. Came from behind me. Passed on 2 small doe, had 2 more come up to my right and go behind me. Then one came from the right and was perfect broadside, I took the shot, got my first deer. She's down at the butcher shop that a Polish deli runs. Can't wait to get that deer back. She wasn't huge, but he wasn't light either. Should be about 60-70 pounds of meat. Now that I'll have the freezer filled a bit I'm looking for a big old nanny doe or my first buck.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Yesterday was perfect for hunting here. The storm broke at dawn, and the first hour I saw 15 spikes/forked horns. Passed on a ~120 lb 3x2, and now I wish I had shot it because I didn't anything see else worth shooting. Unless I can get out there Sunday that's my season. Oh well, some of those bucks I passed on will look great next year.