The 2012-2013 TV Schedule- For Those Not Too Cool To Poopoo TV

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Pick-ups are starting to be announced while the upfronts are happening next week

Here's what NBC is up to

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/07/nbc-white-house/
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/nbc-orders-white-house-comedy-321139
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/gallery/nbc-2012-13-new-season-320999#1

NBC has picked up its fourth and fiffth comedy series for the 2012-13 TV season.

The network has ordered 13 episodes of 1600 Penn, a White House family comedy written by and co-starring The Book of Mormon's Josh Gad and penned by Modern Family helmer Jason Winer and former White House speechwriter Jon Lovett.

Described as a Modern Family-type show set in the White House where all the kids are far from perfect, it stars Bill Pullman stars as the president of the United States, with Jenna Elfman, Gad, Martha MacIsaac, Andre Holland, Amara Miller and Benjamin Stockham rounding out the cast. Gad will write and executive produce alongside Lovett. Winer will exec produce and direct the single-camera effort from 20th Television.

In addition, the network has ordered 13 episodes of Animal Practice. The office comedy from Universal Television revolves around a House-like veterinarian (Justin Kirk) who loves animals but typically hates their owners.

Tyler Labine, Bobby Lee and Amy Huberman co-star in the project that hails from exec producers/writers Brian Gatewood and Alessandro Tanaka; exec producers include Scott Armstrong, Ravi Nandan and Anthony and Joe Russo
, who will direct the single-camera project.

The pickups join previously picked up comedies Go On, with Matthew Perry; Save Me with Anne Heche; The New Normal from Glee's Ryan Murphy and Ali Adler; and drama Revolution, from J.J. Abrams and Eric Kripke.
Anne Heche stars in Save Me as a woman in a broken marriage who transforms into a version of herself and creates miracles along the way. NBC has ordered 13 episodes. It co-stars American Horror Story's Alexandra Breckenridge.

Go On centers on an irreverent yet charming sportscaster (Matthew Perry) who tries to move on from loss and finds solace from the members of his mandatory group-therapy sessions. Transformers' Julie White will play Anne, a woman stuck in the anger stage of grief; Suzy Nakamura, Laura Benanti, Allison Miller and Khary Payton co-star.

So I guess the Dane Cook show is out. Also, didn't ABC try a Matthew Perry sitcom awhile back where he's a curmudgeon?

Revolution, from J.J. Abrams and Eric Kripke, is described as an epic adventure thriller in which a family struggles to reunite in a post-apocalyptic American landscape: a world of empty cities, local militias and heroic freedom fighters, where every single piece of technology -- computers, planes, cars, phones, even lights -- has mysteriously blacked out ... forever. Billy Burke, David Lyons, Giancarlo Esposito, Tracy Spiradakos, Graham Rogers, Anna Lise Phillips, Tim Guinee, Andrea Roth, JD Pardo and Zak Orth star in the drama from Warner Bros. Television. Jon Favreau directs the pilot.

From Glee's Ryan Murphy and Ali Adler, The New Normal revolves around a blended family of a gay couple (Andrew Rannells, Justin Bartha) and the woman (Georgia King) who becomes a surrogate for them as they grow their family. Ellen Barkin co-stars with Nene Leakes on board as recurring.

Of those shows, I might give Revolution a chance because it has a decent pedigree, but this year's string of big budget sci-fi shows that just sucked balls makes me hesitant. The Doctor House Vet seems like it could be funny as a parody but not as a full series.

And, as always, looking forward to thekidslepthere's insights.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
I'm definitely going to wait for Revolution to get a second season before I even think about taking a look. It's a policy that's been doing wonders for my enjoyment of television for the past couple of years.

squigy0

Sweaty Asshole
Oct 13, 2004
Owings Mills, MD
Revolution sounds half Flash Forward, half Terra Nova. Maybe they'll get a winning formula this time. I'll certainly give it a look.

I never got into NBC comedys but there are a couple shows that have familiar comedian/comedic actor names so they're a possibility as long as I don't have a lot of other shows to watch.

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
I'll give Revolution a shot. Animal Practice may be funny b/c of Justin Kirk.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
Revolution sounds like Jericho without the extra half-season.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I'll be honest I was lazy on reading pilots this year. But I should start getting DVD's in the next week or so. I didn't read any of these, but what I did read I wasn't that crazy about.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Revolution, from J.J. Abrams and Eric Kripke, is described as an epic adventure thriller in which a family struggles to reunite in a post-apocalyptic American landscape: a world of empty cities, local militias and heroic freedom fighters, where every single piece of technology -- computers, planes, cars, phones, even lights -- has mysteriously blacked out ... forever. Billy Burke, David Lyons, Giancarlo Esposito, Tracy Spiradakos, Graham Rogers, Anna Lise Phillips, Tim Guinee, Andrea Roth, JD Pardo and Zak Orth star in the drama from Warner Bros. Television. Jon Favreau directs the pilot.
Sounds a lot like Dies the Fire by S M Stirling.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Revolution could easily fall into the Jericho trap and become unwatchable (it's the one show I wish had stayed cancelled. The first season was phenomenal, and the first couple of episodes of season 2 just drove me right the fuck away). I'll check it out, but with caution.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Revolution is the only thing that sounds interesting. I love anything post-apocalyptic, so I'm in.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I can't believe wackbag isn't uber excited for The New Normal. It defies logic.

Stig

Making America So Great You Won't Believe It.
Jul 26, 2005
NH
I know, after the 30 page thread for "The Kids Are Alright" you'd think people would be clamoring to comment.
Once, there was a GOOD movie called The Kids Are Alright. And it was a documentary about The Who.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
Just got NBC's "Friday Night Dinner" which I don't think got picked up, but more importantly I got CW's (Green) "Arrow" pilot and even more importantly "The Carrie Diaries".

I'll probably watch Arrow this afternoon and give a quick synopsis. But don't worry SITC fans, I'm sure I'll make a cosmo and watch the Carrie Diaries tonight!

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Just got NBC's "Friday Night Dinner" which I don't think got picked up, but more importantly I got CW's (Green) "Arrow" pilot and even more importantly "The Carrie Diaries".

I'll probably watch Arrow this afternoon and give a quick synopsis. But don't worry SITC fans, I'm sure I'll make a cosmo and watch the Carrie Diaries tonight!
EEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read how NBC picked up six comedies this season. That seems excessive.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Fox's pick-ups one of which means Kelly won't be coming back to The Office

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55589

* “It’s Messy,” a sitcom from writer-producer-actors Kaling and B.J. Novak (“The Office”), is a sitcom about a young female doctor trying to balance her personal and professional lives.

The others hold what would seem to be less promise, but I’ll wait till we see the pilots:

* “Ben & Kate” is a sitcom from screenwriter Dana Fox, who scripted “The Wedding Date” (10% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes), “What Happens In Vegas” (27%), and “Couples Retreat” (12%). It follows a free spirit who moves in with his tightly wound sister. It stars Nat Faxon (“Bad Teacher,” “Zookeeper”) and Dakota Johnson (“21 Jump Street,” “The 5-Year Engagement”).

* “The Following,” a crime thriller from writer-producer Kevin Williamson (“Dawson’s Creek,” “The Vampire Diaries,” “The Secret Circle”) follows an FBI vet (Kevin Bacon) chasing a serial killer (James Purefoy) behind an army of serial killers. (Curiously, NBC recently greenlit for next season “Hannibal,” which is based on James Harris’ Hannibal Lecter books and also features as its main characters a serial killer and an FBI man.)

* “The Goodwin Games,” a sitcom from “How I Met Your Mother” creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas, follows three adult children who have to follow their father’s terms if they want to inherit his fortune. It stars Becki Newton (“Ugly Betty”) and Scott Foley (“The Unit”).

* “The Mob Doctor,” from writer-producers Josh Berman (“Vanished,” “Drop Dead Diva”) and Rob Wright (“Knight Rider,” “Drop Dead Diva”), stars Jordana Spiro (“My Boys”) as a young thoracic surgeon with a “lifelong debt to the South Chicago mob.”

* Fox has already renewed “American Idol,” “X Factor,” “New Girl,” “Glee,” “Bones,” “Family Guy,” “The Simpsons,” “The Cleveland Show,” “American Dad,” “Raising Hope,” “Fringe” and “Touch.” I’m pretty sure those shows in which Gordon Ramsay yells at chefs are returning also.

* Fox shows not returning next season include “House,” “Terra Nova,” “Alcatraz,” “Breaking In” and “Cops.”
I'm surprised Kevin Bacon is doing a network series. It's not that I think his career is going great, but it still seems odd. And I don't get the army of serial killer thing. It's not how serial killers work.

Danesy

Cute but psycho, it all evens out.
Jun 5, 2006
Satellite of Love
I’m pretty sure those shows in which Gordon Ramsay yells at chefs are returning also.
Not only are they returning... but he has a new one called Hotel Hell. It's Kitchen Nightmares but in hotels.

I can't wait. I love Gordon!

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Not only are they returning... but he has a new one called Hotel Hell. It's Kitchen Nightmares but in hotels.

I can't wait. I love Gordon!
I don't like the title Hotel Hell. I'd call it "No Room At The Inn."

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I'm surprised Kevin Bacon is doing a network series. It's not that I think his career is going great, but it still seems odd. And I don't get the army of serial killer thing. It's not how serial killers work.
You forget that despite their claims that it didn't effect them that much, Kevin Bacon and his wife lost almost all of their money thanks to Bernie Madoff.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
You forget that despite their claims that it didn't effect them that much, Kevin Bacon and his wife lost almost all of their money thanks to Bernie Madoff.
I completely forgot about that.

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
Tyler Labine AGAIN? It'll last one season. Anything post-Reaper has failed for him, hard.

Revolution, a post-apocalyptic American landscape: a world of empty cities, local militias and heroic freedom fighters, where every single piece of technology -- computers, planes, cars, phones, even lights -- has mysteriously blacked out ... forever.
cool.

an epic adventure thriller in which a family struggles to reunite
oh. nevermind.

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
an army of serial killers.
Jesus. What a horrid way to try to tap into Dexter's success. And they're 2 years too late.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Tyler Labine AGAIN? It'll last one season. Anything post-Reaper has failed for him, hard.
Post Reaper? I'm still disappointing that show was cancelled. It really found itself in season 2. And more Ray Wise is always better.

Jesus. What a horrid way to try to tap into Dexter's success. And they're 2 years too late.
And like the thing said, Bryan Fuller is making a Hannibal Lecter/Will Graham prequel series for NBC that will run for 13 episodes per season and the Hannibal Lecter serial killer angle won't be approached until season 3.