OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

The 2012 Black List

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Bill Lehecka, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Bill Lehecka

Bill Lehecka The Fat Horse v. 2.0
    Donator

We had a thread last year, so I figured we would make one for this year.

Here's the Top 10 with an explanation. I spoilered it for length. The rest of the scripts that made it are in a link below.

The Black List was compiled from the suggestions over 290 film executives, each of whom contributed the names of up to ten of their favorite scripts that were written in, or are somehow uniquely associated with, 2012 and will not have completed principal photography during this calendar year.

This year, scripts had to receive at least six mentions to be included on the Black List.

All reasonable effort has been made to confirm the information contained herein. The Black List apologizes for all misspellings, misattributions, incorrect representation identification, and questionable 2012 affiliations.

It has been said many times, but it’s worth repeating: The Black List is not a “best of ” list. It is, at best, a “most liked” list.

DRAFT DAY
    Rajiv Joseph, Scott Rothman
    On the day of the NFL Draft, Bills General Manager Sonny Weaver has the opportunity to save football in Buffalo when he trades for the number one pick. He must quickly decide what he’s willing to sacrifice in pursuit of perfection as the lines between his personal and professional life become blurred.
    Agency: Gersh, CAA
    Agents: Lee Keele (Joseph), Chris Till, Bill Zotti (Rothman)
    Management: Kaplan/Perrone (Joseph & Rothman)
    Managers: Josh Goldenberg, Aaron Kaplan
    Production: Montecito Pictures

A COUNTRY OF STRANGERS
    Sean Armstrong
    Based on true events. Inspector Geoff Harper conducts a forty year search for the Beaumont Children, three siblings taken from an Australian beach in January of 1966.
    Agency: Verve
    Agents: Aaron Hart, Adam Levine, Rob Herting, Bill Weinstein
    Management: Principato-Young Management
    Managers: Peter Dealbert, Susan Solomon

SEUSS
    Eyal Podell, Jonathan Stewart
    As a young man, Ted Geisel meets his future wife Helen, who encourages his fanciful drawings, and in the 1950s when Ted is struggling professionally, Helen helps inspire the children’s book that will become his first big hit, “The Cat in the Hat.”
    Agents: Bryan Besser, Zach Carlisle, Rob Herting
    Management: Industry Entertainment
    Manager: Michael Botti, Jess Rosenthal

RODHAM
    Young Il Kim
    During the height of the Watergate scandal, rising star Hillary Rodham is the youngest lawyer chosen for the House Judiciary Committee to Impeach Nixon, but she soon finds herself forced to choose between a destined path to the White House and her unresolved feelings for Bill Clinton, her former boyfriend who now teaches law in Arkansas.
    Agency: UTA
    Agents: Barbara Dreyfus, Jenny Maryasis
    Management: The Arlook Group
    Managers: Richard Arlook, Jason Hong
    Production: The Arlook Group, Temple Hill Entertainment

STORY OF YOUR LIFE
    Eric Heisserer
    Based on the short story by Ted Chiang. When alien crafts land around the world, a linguistics expert is recruited by the military to determine whether they come in peace or are a threat. As she learns to communicate with the aliens, she begins experiencing vivid flashbacks that become the key to unlocking the greater mystery about the true purpose of their visit.
    Agents: Barbara Dreyfus, Jon Huddle
    Management: Art/Work
    Manager: Julie Bloom
    Financier: Film Nation
    Production: Film Nation, Lava Bear, 21 Laps Entertainment

WUNDERKIND
    Patrick Aison
    A Mossad employed father and his CIA agent son team up to hunt an escaped Nazi.
    Agency: ICM
    Agents: Harley Copen, Bryan Diperstein, Emil Gladstone
    Management: DMG Entertainment
    Managers: Chris Cowles, Chris Fenton
    Financier: Paramount
    Production: Bad Robot, DMG Entertainment

EXTREMELY WICKED, SHOCKINGLY EVIL, AND VILE
    Michael Werwie
    Based on a true (and ultimately surprising) story, a promising young law student fights an oppressive legal system and growing public scrutiny when his routine traffic stop snowballs into shocking criminal charges, imprisonment, daring escapes, and ultimately acting as his own attorney in a nationally televised murder trial.
    Agents: Peter Dodd, David Flynn, Jon Huddle, David Kramer
    Management: Evolution Entetainment
    Manager: Stephen Gates, Brad Kaplan
    Production: Michael Costigan

GLIMMER
    Carter Blanchard
    When three friends go missing on a camping trip in a forest rumored to be haunted, the two left behind discover clues that lead them to a safe deposit box containing video tapes… showing exactly what happened to their friends.
    Agency: Paradigm
    Agents: David Boxerbaum
    Management: Madhouse Entertainment
    Managers: Ryan Cunningham, Adam Kolbrenner
    Financier: Dreamworks
    Production: Madhouse Entertainment

ME & EARL & THE DYING GIRL
    Jesse Andrews
    Based on Andrews’s eponymous novel, a quirky high school student who enjoys making films sparks a friendship with a classmate dying of leukemia.
    Agency: WME
    Agents: Anna Deroy, Sarah Self
    Management: MXN
    Managers: Michelle Knudsen, Mason Novick
    Production: Indian Paintbrush

DEVILS AT PLAY
    James Dilapo
    In the Soviet Union in 1937, a worker of the People’s Commissariat for Internal Affairs finds a list of traitors, which he thinks is going to be his way out.
    Agents : Aaron Hart, Rob Herting, Adam Levine
    Management: Kaplan/Perrone
    Manager: Alex Lerner

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/black-list-2012-winners/

2. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Top 4 seem boring. I'd watch #5. As I explained in the book section, I like stories about trying to communicate with aliens.

3. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

#39-Hell no!

#65-I love the NFL. I love the NFL Draft. But no so much that I want to watch a movie about it. Especially if the team in the movie is the Buffalo Bills.

#29-That sounds like a movie starring Micheal Cera and Ellen Page. No thank you.

#35-I liked it the first time when it was called "To Serve Man".

The only ones that I would be interested in would be Glimmer, #33 (if it was set in the early 1960s'), #43, and maybe #31

4. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

So the "Black List" is a list of "good scripts" that weren't filmed this year?

5. Neckbeard

Neckbeard I'm Team Piggy!

31 and 35 for me. Devils At Play for my third choice.

Of the 3 movies I dislike the following the most.

Draft Day is Moneyball, except without an underlying reality and about the Buffalo Bills.
    Rodham is another U.S. "political thriller" that in reality is just an 11 dollar CSPAN special.
    Wunderkind, the Nazi hunting movie, is just RIDICULOUSLY passe in 2012 and has been done a trillion times. Which is why it was rejected and rightfully so.

From the link, the following sound really fun...

IF THEY MOVE… KILL ‘EM!
    Kel Symons
    After losing his luster and respect in Hollywood, famed director Sam Peckinpah hopes to direct his next great film with financial backing from Colombian drug lords and brings along a novice screenwriter to write the film in Colombia.
    Agents: Emerson Davis, Charles Ferraro, Geoff Morley
    Management: MXN
    Managers: Michelle Knudsen, Mason Novick

This sounds like Red Dawn if it didn't suck. Probably a really good script given the axe over political pressure.

AMERICATOWN
    Ben Poole
    In a China-dominated near future, a former LAPD officer attempts to save his family from destitution in Los Angeles by working for a crime lord in the American ghetto within a thriving Hong Kong.
    Agents: Aaron Hart, Rob Herting, Adam Levine
    Management: Oasis Media Group
    Managers: David Lonner, Ben Rowe
    Production: Sean Finegan

This sounds so ridiculous and bad ass that I NEED to see this movie...

WHALEMEN
    Tucker Parsons
    The leader of a fourteenth century Scottish whaling village must seek out and do battle with a whale many times larger than any he has ever seen in order to ransom back his son from the occupying English.

Also, WHY SO MANY WORLD WAR II MOVIES GETTING VOTES?!

I blame the Liddies and the NeonTasters.

#5 Neckbeard, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  6. Atomic Fireball

Atomic Fireball Well-Known Member
    Donator

Dear god what a collossal pile of shit. 90% are retreads of previous successful movies (*two* ripoffs of Looper?) or righteous liberal tales of injustices done to negros, gays and hebrews.

The only one that sounds intriguing is Hibernation, about a guy who awakens for one day every five years to see far into the future.

Neckbeard likes this.
  7. Neckbeard

Neckbeard I'm Team Piggy!

Whalemen sounds like Moby Dick+Twister so I stand by my selection.

8. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Read The Worthing Saga by Orson Scott Card. That's basically one of the main points of it. The richer you are, the longer you get to sleep. That would have some interesting and unexpected results, though...