The 2018 Midterm Elections Thread

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
There's a lot more to consider here and I have concern that 2020 win for Trump is going to be more of a uphill battle that many of his supporters think. Right off the bat you have to expect that the Dems are going to be much more determined this time around. True, Dem enthusiasm wasn't enough to flip the senate or get (depending on how you look at it, I guess) an atypical House gain, but there should be higher Dem turnout in 2020.

Trump may now be at a sizable disadvantage in FL (which is a must win) due to allowing felons to vote. The AZ senate race probably isn't a great sign as well. If he loses FL and AZ it's over even if he keeps all the other states he won in 16. And speaking of that it wouldn't take much for the Blue Wall states that put him over the top to flip back to blue. Hell even TX could become a battleground state if you assume the same people who voted for Cruz will vote Trump and the people who voted for Beto to vote for the Dem candidate.

Another thing you have to be concerned about is if a never Trumper "conservative" decides to run as an independent (think Jeff Flake).

Then there's still the Mueller investigation. Though I don't expect he has evidence of collusion, who the fuck knows?

Plus if the Trump supporters come down with a case of the "We Got This!"-itis, that could also kill him.

The incumbent usually has the advantage, but Trump isn't exactly a usual candidate:
I wholeheartedly agree.

Let's face it...Hillary was a sure thing. She was going to win, and was probably going to win overwhelmingly against this racist bigot. Were there Democrats who did not bother to head to the polls because Hillary had this in the bag? It's possible. They won't make that mistake this time around.

Trump voters could have a case of "We got this!"-itis. So it is my hope that media and biased polls show an overwhelming win for the Democrat.

You also point out Flake. This is how you oust Trump...get some snake to run as a conservative independent to steal some of the Trump votes. This could create huge problems for Trump in places like Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio and NC. This is how Hillary can run again and actually win.

It will also be interesting to see how the economy holds up. Tax cuts go away, and a blue House keeps this country from prospering. The Trump economy (and boom) is contained...so how does that work in Trump's favor in 2020? We need more Republicans right? Well, we could've used more Republicans to support Trump's agenda in 2018, but that didn't happen.

Alot can change over the next couple years...but I think Trump is in more trouble than anyone thinks.

Floyd1977

I wholeheartedly agree.

Let's face it...Hillary was a sure thing. She was going to win, and was probably going to win overwhelmingly against this racist bigot. Were there Democrats who did not bother to head to the polls because Hillary had this in the bag? It's possible. They won't make that mistake this time around.

Trump voters could have a case of "We got this!"-itis. So it is my hope that media and biased polls show an overwhelming win for the Democrat.

You also point out Flake. This is how you oust Trump...get some snake to run as a conservative independent to steal some of the Trump votes. This could create huge problems for Trump in places like Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio and NC. This is how Hillary can run again and actually win.

It will also be interesting to see how the economy holds up. Tax cuts go away, and a blue House keeps this country from prospering. The Trump economy (and boom) is contained...so how does that work in Trump's favor in 2020? We need more Republicans right? Well, we could've used more Republicans to support Trump's agenda in 2018, but that didn't happen.

Alot can change over the next couple years...but I think Trump is in more trouble than anyone thinks.
I agree with you as well. A lot can happen in the next two years.

The Dems won’t have the power to repeal the tax cuts, but there are plenty of other ways the Dems can stall the economy (endless investigations, perpetually looming impeachment threats).

However, one area where I think that you and I don’t completly argree is that I think that the dem majority in the House could actually work to Trump’s advantage. Dem power is still relatively limited which means they still may have to capitulate to the GOP. If Trump can actually prove to be effective in making deals with Pelosi/House Democrats he may win independents and moderate democrats. Dems not winning something may have led to GOP fatigue. Also post midterms GOP Congress is now way more united (most of the not so keen on Trump people got purged) while the Dems are still pretty split.

mascan42

I agree with you as well. A lot can happen in the next two years.

The Dems won’t have the power to repeal the tax cuts, but there are plenty of other ways the Dems can stall the economy (endless investigations, perpetually looming impeachment threats).

However, one area where I think that you and I don’t completly argree is that I think that the dem majority in the House could actually work to Trump’s advantage. Dem power is still relatively limited which means they still may have to capitulate to the GOP. If Trump can actually prove to be effective in making deals with Pelosi/House Democrats he may win independents and moderate democrats. Dems not winning something may have led to GOP fatigue. Also post midterms GOP Congress is now way more united (most of the not so keen on Trump people got purged) while the Dems are still pretty split.
It's possible, but I think there's so much ORANGE MAN BAD among Dems that working with him on anything - even if it's something they desperately want - may leave a bad taste in their mouth. To them, bipartisanship means handing Trump a victory, and that's something they won't stand for.

But Trump isn't a cuck like previous presidents that will just bend over and take it, either.
It's possible, but I think there's so much ORANGE MAN BAD among Dems that working with him on anything - even if it's something they desperately want - may leave a bad taste in their mouth. To them, bipartisanship means handing Trump a victory, and that's something they won't stand for.

Floyd1977

I can see three scenarios here, each one leaving Trump with some advantage.

1. Trump extends out an olive branch to the Dems (which I think he's already trying to do) and starts making some deals with them. Some of the animosity toward him softens to the point where he may win some independent and moderate Dem support. There is some risk here as he still has his base to think about so he can't give too much but I would hope most of his base would realize he's trying to up his chance of being elected.

2. The more reasonable Dems will be willing to work with him and the far left won't. This could lead toward party infighting.

3. They all tell him to go fuck himself and Trump can justifiably accuse them of obstructionism. This one admittedly has the most risk as it has the potential to push more people to the Dem candidate in 2020, especially if the Dems have a decent chance to flip the senate in 2020.

Obviously the economy will play a factor in all this.

One thing I did forget to mention is that if there's any truth that Trunp is winning over sizable Black support, that's very problematic for the Dems as Black support could put him over the top in some of the riskier states.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
Is it me or is the left sore losers all the time...

Dat not be my fawt... da party do it to me and shit.
Now there's a sister who don't wanna hafta go and face dem biw collectors.

She had the Crown Royal purple velvet drapes for the governor's mansion all bought and paid for, and there ain't no returnin' 'em.

She had the Crown Royal purple velvet drapes for the governor's mansion all bought and paid for, and there ain't no returnin' 'em.
Ho Lee Fuck... put a pimp hat on her and it's fucking Patrice

Floyd1977

Member when they said there was no voter fraud. Apparently shenannagins were going on in 2016. So can we add to the pile of things Trump turned out to be at least partially right about.

Homeless allegedly bribed with cash, cigarettes in voter fraud scheme
By Tamar Lapin
Homeless people on Los Angeles’ skid row were bribed with cash or cigarettes in exchange for bogus and forged signatures in a “large-scale voter fraud scheme,” state prosecutors say.

Nine people were charged in a plot, which lured hundreds of vagrants into putting down a John Hancock on voter registration forms and ballot petitions during the 2016 and 2018 elections, the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office said Tuesday.

“They paid individuals to sign the names. That’s an assault on our democracy,” Los Angeles Police Officer Deon Joseph told the Los Angeles Times.

The charges, which range from voter fraud to circulating a petition with fake names and registering a fictitious person, were filed three weeks ago but made public Tuesday.

People hired to help initiatives qualify for the ballot are often paid as much as $6 a name. But it’s illegal for the collectors to pay people for signatures.

Cops began cracking down on suspected election fraud on skid row earlier this year.

One of the nine people charged, Kirkland Kauzava Washington, 38, allegedly set up a card table outside a mission where homeless people line up for meals and shelter, Los Angeles police Capt. Marc Reina said. He was nabbed in an operation that used undercover officers and security camera footage.

LA County elections chief Dean Logan said it’s unlikely the forgeries eluded his staff, who compare each petition signature with those on registration forms. But he said he’s worried about “any activity that causes voters to lose faith in the process.”

The other people charged include Washington, Harold Bennett, 53, and Louis Thomas Wise, 36, who face up to six years and four months in prison. The others — Richard Howard, 62, Rose Makeda Sweeney, 42, Christopher Joseph Williams, 59, Jakara Fati Mardis, 35, Norman Hall, 61, and Nickey Demelvin Huntley, 44 — face up to four years and eight months in prison.

No homeless people were charged, the DA’s Office said.

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger

AWWWW SHEEET, I'Z GONNA GO BROKE NAH WITOUT DAT GUBMINT JAWB N BENEFITS MUTHAFUCKA. DIS BE WHITEYS FAULT N RACISM

lajikal

Member when they said there was no voter fraud. Apparently shenannagins were going on in 2016. So can we add to the pile of things Trump turned out to be at least partially right about.
Umm yeah.. there was voter fraud. About a half dozen cases.. Member this one?.. :cool:

Charge: Local election judge, 88, sent in dead husband’s ballot
November 04, 2016

A Madison County election judge is facing felony charges of voter fraud, only days before the election.

Audrey R. Cook, 88, of Alton is accused of sending in an absentee ballot in her late husband’s name. Cook is a Republican election judge in Madison County, according to Madison County State’s Attorney Tom Gibbons. She was charged Friday with two felony election-fraud counts.

https://www.bnd.com/news/local/article112583058.html

mascan42

The colored man is straying too far from the plantation for WAPO

What’s up with all those black men who voted for the Republican in the Georgia governor’s race?

I remember that famous MLK speech where he said everyone should be judged by the color of their skin and not the content of their character.
I love all the projecting that's going on in that article. Accusing the Republicans of being all about identity politics, like that hasn't been the Dems explicit strategy for the past dozen years or so.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
I love all the projecting that's going on in that article. Accusing the Republicans of being all about identity politics, like that hasn't been the Dems explicit strategy for the past dozen years or so.
Libs always accuse others of doing or trying to do exactly what they would do

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Raise your hand if you actually think it is conservatives or racists putting up the nooses in Mississippi.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
On Sunday, Democrat Mike Espy, who is in a run-off election today for the Senate against Republican incumbent Cindy Hyde-Smith, told Palast Investigations reporter Zach D. Roberts:

“There were evidently some calls made to Espy supporters… Most of them were older supporters. For example, I was told that one of them said that he was from a survey company. He asked her, ‘Was she going to vote?’ She said, ‘Yes.’ They asked her who she was going to vote for and she said, ‘Mike Espy.’ And she was proud to vote for Mike Espy. And then, allegedly, they told her she did not have to go on Tuesday, because her very acknowledgment over the telephone for me was actually a registered vote for me.”

https://www.gregpalast.com/mississi...unning-charge-of-new-vote-suppression-tactic/

Let's pretend this is true. If you're that fuckin stupid after having lived through dozens of elections, maybe sit this one out.

Hyde-Smith is up by 75,000 votes. Espy isn't losing because of a few old tards who got phone scammed.