The 2020 Presidential Election!

KRSOne

Great. Is that supposed to change my mind? FYI, it doesn't.
There is no mind to be changed. Its just a fact that UBI will be a thing one day when the majority of jobs are automated. I think this Yang guy is running on it way too soon. Maybe 2030?

β is in!
Beto O'Rourke to seek Democratic U.S. presidential nomination -TV station

WASHINGTON, March 13 (Reuters) - Beto O’Rourke, the youthful Texan who gained a national following with his long-shot election battle against U.S. Senator Ted Cruz last year, told a Texas TV station on Wednesday he will seek the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination.

"I'm really proud of what El Paso did and what El Paso represents," O'Rourke said in a text to TV station KTSM. "It's a big part of why I'm running. This city is the best example of this country at its best."

A formal announcement will be made on Thursday morning, the television station said. (Reporting by Eric Beech)
The last two presidents were candidates who you never thought would win. That's how I feel about this guy. And that worries me. Dunno why.

I was completely speechless when Obama won reelection after the awful first term, anything is possible at this point.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Fuck yeah! Bob!!! Do a kickflip... the kids will love it!

Floyd1977

How fucking pissed do you think Harris/Warren/Gillebrand are right now over Beto. And does this come as a surprise to anyone?

Could go very far if Dems imagine he could win TX.

I didn't really follow his Texas campaign, but his social media effort needs help: He hasn't tweeted in weeks, and texted his announcement to a tiny, local news outlet instead of a legitimate fake news outlet like CNN, WaPo, etc.
You thought the Messiah was going to lose?
In 2007 I didn't think he'd win.

How fucking pissed do you think Harris/Warren/Gillebrand are right now over Beto. And does this come as a surprise to anyone?

Could go very far if Dems imagine he could win TX.
You think he's more popular than Trump in Texas?

Floyd1977

You think he's more popular than Trump in Texas?
Probably not, but yes, did come close to unseating Cruz. And that’s alarming enough, But again, if the perception among Dems is that Beto has the best chance of possibly winning TX, that might get him very far. And that will be his angle, “all I have to do is win Texas and I’m the only candidate that might do it.

That would be my strategy.

Or just as likely, Beto wants a sweetheart deal to suspend his campaign.

Last edited:

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Probably not, but yes, did come close to unseating Cruz. And that’s alarming enough, But again, if the perception among Dems is that Beto has the best chance of possibly winning TX, that might get him very far. And that will be his angle, “all I have to do is win Texas and I’m the only candidate that might do it.

That would be my strategy.

Or just as likely, Beto wants a sweetheart deal to suspend his campaign.
The Dems shouldn't need Texas to beat Trump, unless they are somehow obsessing with turning every Red state Blue as some sort of message. Their strategy should be to pick the safest, nicest, sweetest, most likable person they can find and assume that will be enough to turn Minnesota, Nevada, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania back to Blue. That's all they really need to do. Technically they don't even need Nevada.

Beto might actually be the safest, nicest, sweetest, most likable person if Biden chooses not to run. And I think he's probably further Left than Biden policy wise, so he may be able to bring some of the far left wackos.

If I had to guess how this is going to play out, Biden is going to watch from the sidelines, and if Beto looks like he's going to be the frontrunner, Biden will stay out. If an unelectable candidate like Harris, Booker, or Warren starts to assert themselves, Biden will step in and try to save the party from themselves.

I don't know what to make of Sanders. He SHOULD be unelectable, but...

Floyd1977

The Dems shouldn't need Texas to beat Trump, unless they are somehow obsessing with turning every Red state Blue as some sort of message. Their strategy should be to pick the safest, nicest, sweetest, most likable person they can find and assume that will be enough to turn Minnesota, Nevada, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania back to Blue. That's all they really need to do. Technically they don't even need Nevada.

Beto might actually be the safest, nicest, sweetest, most likable person if Biden chooses not to run. And I think he's probably further Left than Biden policy wise, so he may be able to bring some of the far left wackos.

If I had to guess how this is going to play out, Biden is going to watch from the sidelines, and if Beto looks like he's going to be the frontrunner, Biden will stay out. If an unelectable candidate like Harris, Booker, or Warren starts to assert themselves, Biden will step in and try to save the party from themselves.

I don't know what to make of Sanders. He SHOULD be unelectable, but...
Fair assessment. Guess it also depends on how deep identity politics has infected the party. Though Beto i believe claims to be a sorta Mexican.

β is in!The last two presidents were candidates who you never thought would win. That's how I feel about this guy. And that worries me. Dunno why.
He has to get through the Democrat meat grinder first. Has he endorsed the New Green Deal yet? Does he identify with at least four depressed minority groups? Might not have the chops.

SKEPTIC

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Bob thinking he's Hispanic would be like me going by the nickname Ephraim and saying I practice Hasidic Judaism because I grew up in a town neighboring Lakewood, NJ and had to drive thru there often (narrowly missing them with my car because they don't obey traffic) and a few of them were in my school.

Ha! And he's preaching AOC-level craziness...this is going to be spectacular:

Biff Hardslab

I have the t-shirt
Holy shit, the host on the local radio station here just read @neontaster ‘s tweet about Beta O’Rourke.