OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

TV The Americans- Weds on FX

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by AlanSmithee, Jan 31, 2013.

1. AlanSmithee

AlanSmithee Registered User

FX does it again. Just about every drama they put on the air is fantastic. The series premiere was captivating and had a great mix of action and drama. The dialogue was spot on and makes me want to see the next episode immediately.

2. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

I watched it. I liked it. I'm in.

Lets just hope it makes it to a season 2 and if it does, the show doesn't go off the rails like American Horror Story:Asylum did.

d0uche_n0zzle likes this.
  3. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

More flashbacks to her 'training.'

4. AlanSmithee

Kerri Russell held up well.. she's only a few years away from 40 and she looks like shes in her late 20's. Would Smash.

5. God Loves Fags

God Loves Fags A clear and dusty day in June

Great show. It's nice to have this and Justified in the middle of the week to tide a feller over until the good Sunday night shows.

I don't know where they found the male lead actor, but he could not look more like a creepy Soviet who can also pass as a suburban American guy.

I don't know what was better--seeing Keri Russell get raped or hearing her finger that guy's butt while sucking his cock on the cassette. Ballerism all around.

6. NuttyJim

NuttyJim Registered User

really suprised at this. Looking forward to more episodes.

7. Sct Ptersns Twn

Sct Ptersns Twn Looking 4 a New 1st Mate

DVR'd, watching this weekend.

Side note: My buddy was raving about American Horror Story this year, better than last. I fucked up my recording options and did not watch. I guess NOW I have to on demand the shizz to be the determining vote.

8. Stormrider666

This is the consensus of some of the Wackbaggers who watched this season:

"Great buildup, lazy payoffs".

"How many plotlines this season were really necessary? At least in the previous season most things had some connection to its overall concept, but this season it felt a lot more like a bunch of random ideas thrown together".

"This was my thought on it; way too many stupid side-track plots that didn't add to the overall story. At least in S1, the entire story was one coherent whole".

9. thekidslepthere

thekidslepthere Registered User

I really liked the pilot and the whole idea of these people looking at us as the evil empire, but don't know how long you can stretch this idea out for. Season four when the Berlin Wall comes down and their checks start bouncing is going to be kind of sad.

American Horror Story was garbage this year. There's articles about Ryan Murphy, that he has never been to sustain a TV show past the first season.

10. FattyPneumonia

FattyPneumonia Brent from TN

I like it a lot, very cool idea.

11. tattered

tattered Uber-Aryan
    Wackbag Staff

After reading this thread I decided to give it a viewing so I dvr'd the replay of the pilot. I just finished watching justified so I'm watching the pilot right now. Ill give my opinion when it ends but I already like the chick. She's sexy and she's been sexy forever. It's like she never ages in real life

12. tattered

tattered Uber-Aryan
    Wackbag Staff

So I just finished watching the pilot and I really liked it so I set my dvr to record all new eps. I don't know how they further this concept into more than one season but ill certainly watch

13. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Watched the pilot tonight, I'm in also. It looks like a solid show.

14. Sct Ptersns Twn

Sct Ptersns Twn Looking 4 a New 1st Mate

Great show. FX seems to have some of the best new programming lately. Keri Russell is still hot as hell.

15. tattered

tattered Uber-Aryan
    Wackbag Staff

FX has been turning out quality dramas since The Shield (which is as far back as I can remember I'm getting old lol). I think it has a lot to do with the lack rules on adult content. After watching a show on FX I find myself completely unable to get into shows governed by "broadcast tv" standards. Even shows I grew up loving like Law and Order (I only liked the original series) I can't watch anymore because the dialogue feels phony. I pretty much only watch shows that are on FX, hbo, starz, and showtime now (documentaries and the like being the exceptions obv)

16. mikeybot

mikeybot SPANAKOPITA!!!

Just read a post on uproxx yesterday about this. Pretty much boils down to the fact that the network president used to work on the creative side 13-15 years ago, saw all the idiocy from suits (getting notes to make a character more "likeable") and has taken to a policy of not interfering with show runners after picking them up (paraphrasing...posting from phone, hence no article link)

Edit:
    The Secret To FX’s Success: A Chief Executive Willing To Give His Writers Creative Freedom

#16 mikeybot, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  17. d0uche_n0zzle

How does Brand X and Darkie X still make the cut at FX? Do they pull decent ratings, or has the PC police caught up to them?

18. Stormrider666

I think it has to do more with FX trying (and failing miserably) to develop late night programming than it does being politically correct.

To be honest with you, those two shows as bad as they're isn't even FX's worst programming decision. That honor belongs to overestimating the power of tiger blood and going all in with Charlie Sheen.

19. d0uche_n0zzle

Totally agree with you on Charlie. They probably thought they could spin it off to Fox TV, and make a nice profit. Suckers.

20. AlanSmithee

Good 2nd episode last night. Mathew Rhys is amazing in his role as Phillip. I'd never guess from his previous work that he could be such a physical actor with the ability to portray a genuine bad ass.

It appears from next weeks preview that Kerri Russell has been hooking up with a darkie. She sure doesn't fit the description of what a black guy is looking for.

21. AlanSmithee

It was great seeing Margo Martindale as the new handler. Another strong episode but a little slower compared to the first two. It looks like the series is shot in NYC (I know for certain the pilot was).

22. LilJimmyRbinson

LilJimmyRbinson Best muppet ever

Really liked this week's episode. It'll be interesting to see how they tie in real events to the show since we all know how the 80s ended.

Keri Russel is aging quite nicely.

23. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

Interesting take on how the world saw the rapidly-unfolding events surrounding the Reagan shooting.

I'm still not convinced that this won't eventually turn out to be an alternate-history story in which the nukes start flying because of something our couple fucks up.

24. luckie1710

luckie1710 Registered User

They announced it got picked up for a second season

25. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

really liking this show, but the 8 minute recaps are messing up my DVR