TV The Americans- Weds on FX

AlanSmithee

Oct 11, 2012
FX does it again. Just about every drama they put on the air is fantastic. The series premiere was captivating and had a great mix of action and drama. The dialogue was spot on and makes me want to see the next episode immediately.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I watched it. I liked it. I'm in.

Lets just hope it makes it to a season 2 and if it does, the show doesn't go off the rails like American Horror Story:Asylum did.

AlanSmithee

Oct 11, 2012
Kerri Russell held up well.. she's only a few years away from 40 and she looks like shes in her late 20's. Would Smash.

God Loves Fags

A clear and dusty day in June
Feb 1, 2011
Brooklyn
Great show. It's nice to have this and Justified in the middle of the week to tide a feller over until the good Sunday night shows.

I don't know where they found the male lead actor, but he could not look more like a creepy Soviet who can also pass as a suburban American guy.

I don't know what was better--seeing Keri Russell get raped or hearing her finger that guy's butt while sucking his cock on the cassette. Ballerism all around.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
really suprised at this. Looking forward to more episodes.

Sct Ptersns Twn

Looking 4 a New 1st Mate
Dec 4, 2005
Gloucestershire
DVR'd, watching this weekend.

Lets just hope it makes it to a season 2 and if it does, the show doesn't go off the rails like American Horror Story:Asylum did.
Side note: My buddy was raving about American Horror Story this year, better than last. I fucked up my recording options and did not watch. I guess NOW I have to on demand the shizz to be the determining vote.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
DVR'd, watching this weekend.

Side note: My buddy was raving about American Horror Story this year, better than last. I fucked up my recording options and did not watch. I guess NOW I have to on demand the shizz to be the determining vote.
This is the consensus of some of the Wackbaggers who watched this season:

"Great buildup, lazy payoffs".

"How many plotlines this season were really necessary? At least in the previous season most things had some connection to its overall concept, but this season it felt a lot more like a bunch of random ideas thrown together".

"This was my thought on it; way too many stupid side-track plots that didn't add to the overall story. At least in S1, the entire story was one coherent whole".

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004

I really liked the pilot and the whole idea of these people looking at us as the evil empire, but don't know how long you can stretch this idea out for. Season four when the Berlin Wall comes down and their checks start bouncing is going to be kind of sad.

American Horror Story was garbage this year. There's articles about Ryan Murphy, that he has never been to sustain a TV show past the first season.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
After reading this thread I decided to give it a viewing so I dvr'd the replay of the pilot. I just finished watching justified so I'm watching the pilot right now. Ill give my opinion when it ends but I already like the chick. She's sexy and she's been sexy forever. It's like she never ages in real life

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
So I just finished watching the pilot and I really liked it so I set my dvr to record all new eps. I don't know how they further this concept into more than one season but ill certainly watch

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Watched the pilot tonight, I'm in also. It looks like a solid show.

Sct Ptersns Twn

Looking 4 a New 1st Mate
Dec 4, 2005
Gloucestershire
Great show. FX seems to have some of the best new programming lately. Keri Russell is still hot as hell.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Great show. FX seems to have some of the best new programming lately. Keri Russell is still hot as hell.
FX has been turning out quality dramas since The Shield (which is as far back as I can remember I'm getting old lol). I think it has a lot to do with the lack rules on adult content. After watching a show on FX I find myself completely unable to get into shows governed by "broadcast tv" standards. Even shows I grew up loving like Law and Order (I only liked the original series) I can't watch anymore because the dialogue feels phony. I pretty much only watch shows that are on FX, hbo, starz, and showtime now (documentaries and the like being the exceptions obv)

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Just read a post on uproxx yesterday about this. Pretty much boils down to the fact that the network president used to work on the creative side 13-15 years ago, saw all the idiocy from suits (getting notes to make a character more "likeable") and has taken to a policy of not interfering with show runners after picking them up (paraphrasing...posting from phone, hence no article link)

Edit:
The Secret To FX’s Success: A Chief Executive Willing To Give His Writers Creative Freedom

If you haven’t noticed, we take a lot of pride around here in celebrating the best scripted shows on television — the smartest, the funniest, the most clever, the most groundbreaking, etc. — while also setting rhetorical fire to the worst shows on television.
With that said, no single TV network has more shows on its roster that we regularly shower with love and affection than FX, shows like Archer, Justified, Louie, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Sons of Anarchy, The League and, more recently, American Horror Story, and The Americans.
Ever wonder why that is, specifically why FX just seems to “get it”? I know I sure have, and I honestly didn’t know who or what the secret to the network’s success was prior to reading New York Times media reporter David Carr’s column this week.

The prime reason for this, it appears, is that John Landgraf, the president and general manager of FX Networks, was once on the other side of the table, someone who actually developed TV shows as a creative and who knows the absurd frustrations of dealing with boneheaded network executives intimately. So he knows it’s best to just hire smart people and get the f*ck out of their way.
Writes Carr:
He learned early on that the guidance he received from the networks was not going to lead to remarkable television.
“I always got the same dumb note from the networks. ‘Can you make the character more likable?’ ” he recalled last week in a phone interview. “Not make them more exciting, more compelling, more interesting, no, it was always make them more likable.”
Mr. Landgraf, who worked as a network executive at NBC during the ’90s and had a hand in “Friends,” “ER” and “The West Wing,” went on to form a television production company with Danny DeVito. He had 53 projects in development from 1999 to the early 2000s — nine that became pilots, six that were made into shows and one, “Reno 911!” that made it beyond a single season, albeit on Comedy Central.
“It was crazy-making,” he said.
He became convinced that network television was broken — that in an effort to make characters more likable, the industry made television that not anyone much liked.
Mr. Landgraf’s turn on the other side of the table came in 2004 when he became president of FX, the basic cable channel owned by News Corporation. He inherited “Nip/Tuck” and “The Shield,” but they were aging and he needed to replace them, so he went on a spree — of saying yes.
“We wanted to adapt our process to what the creatives needed and have a more efficient outcome,” he said. “We write a check to fund the production and they send us the shows. By trusting the people you work with — sharing the authority — and being willing to fail, things have gone pretty well for us.”
He said yes to a lot of dark and spicy fare — it is not as lurid as pay cable can be, but it is only technically less naked. And it is clearly intended for adults.
So simple, yet so unbelievably rare. Sadly, the GIF below is an accurate dramatization of what it’s like for most TV writers out there…

Never change, FX.

Read more: http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/02/fx-john-landgraf/#ixzz2K8tAhVYX

Last edited:

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
How does Brand X and Darkie X still make the cut at FX? Do they pull decent ratings, or has the PC police caught up to them?

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
How does Brand X and Darkie X still make the cut at FX? Do they pull decent ratings, or has the PC police caught up to them?
I think it has to do more with FX trying (and failing miserably) to develop late night programming than it does being politically correct.

To be honest with you, those two shows as bad as they're isn't even FX's worst programming decision. That honor belongs to overestimating the power of tiger blood and going all in with Charlie Sheen.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Totally agree with you on Charlie. They probably thought they could spin it off to Fox TV, and make a nice profit. Suckers.

AlanSmithee

Oct 11, 2012
Good 2nd episode last night. Mathew Rhys is amazing in his role as Phillip. I'd never guess from his previous work that he could be such a physical actor with the ability to portray a genuine bad ass.

It appears from next weeks preview that Kerri Russell has been hooking up with a darkie. She sure doesn't fit the description of what a black guy is looking for.

AlanSmithee

Oct 11, 2012
It was great seeing Margo Martindale as the new handler. Another strong episode but a little slower compared to the first two. It looks like the series is shot in NYC (I know for certain the pilot was).

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Really liked this week's episode. It'll be interesting to see how they tie in real events to the show since we all know how the 80s ended.

Keri Russel is aging quite nicely.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Interesting take on how the world saw the rapidly-unfolding events surrounding the Reagan shooting.

I'm still not convinced that this won't eventually turn out to be an alternate-history story in which the nukes start flying because of something our couple fucks up.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
They announced it got picked up for a second season

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
really liking this show, but the 8 minute recaps are messing up my DVR