Movie The Batman - Pattinson/Reeves

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
#NoSnoke

So Serkis is part of the MCU, directing Venom 2, and part of the Batnoirniverse. Does any other actors hit all 3? MCU, Sony/Fox, DC?
JK Simmons, technically.

Uhhhh.....

Hmph.

Yeah.

Reverse those, and then take Farrell out and replace him with...anyone else, and maybe.

I wonder how far down the list they had to go with both of those choices. There’s no way either were in the top 10.
I was going to write "Piggy isn't going to like this" but thought you'd get incredulous. Something always rankles you about choices that aren't on the nose. I'm not saying that as an insult. It's a perfectly valid position to have with comic adaptations. I just think we've seen the same shit enough times that out of left field is fine. I save my purism for things that haven't been adapted similarly multiple times before.

Pigdango

Donator
I was going to write "Piggy isn't going to like this" but thought you'd get incredulous. Something always rankles you about choices that aren't on the nose. I'm not saying that as an insult. It's a perfectly valid position to have with comic adaptations. I just think we've seen the same shit enough times that out of left field is fine. I save my purism for things that haven't been adapted similarly multiple times before.
I didn’t bitch about black Commissioner Gordon. I’m not sure how many casting decisions I’ve even criticized in my tenure here for you to make that kind of generalized insu - um, statement. I didn’t like BatPat because Twilight, but other than that...I’d be curious to know what you’re basing that on. Michael Jordan as Human Torch? Feel like I was proven right on that one.

I didn’t bitch about black Commissioner Gordon. I’m not sure how many casting decisions I’ve even criticized in my tenure here for you to make that kind of generalized insu - um, statement. I didn’t like BatPat because Twilight, but other than that...I’d be curious to know what you’re basing that on. Michael Jordan as Human Torch? Feel like I was proven right on that one.
Black commissioner G isn't the same thing. That's more a Jimcy pet peeve lol. Maybe "Casting" is a bit specific here. I just never seem to remember you on board with anything that's sorta offbeat. Like you were never super keen on this whole Joker movie from the get go.

And it really wasn't an insult lol.

Pigdango

Donator
Black commissioner G isn't the same thing. That's more a Jimcy pet peeve lol. Maybe "Casting" is a bit specific here. I just never seem to remember you on board with anything that's sorta offbeat. Like you were never super keen on this whole Joker movie from the get go.

And it really wasn't an insult lol.
My only criticism with the Joker movie was that I knew it wouldn’t be offbeat enough. Too connected to the Wayne family and their fucking pearls.

Everyone conveniently forgets I’m literally the only one here that was all in on James Gunn and the GotG from the get-go.

This is about Alita and her googly eyes, isn’t it?

My only criticism with the Joker movie was that I knew it wouldn’t be offbeat enough. Too connected to the Wayne family and their fucking pearls.

Well you were definitely wrong about Joker. And I haven't even seen Alita yet. Why are you being so defensive? A ton of people will say "Colin Farrell as the Penguin? But he's more of a Danny DeVito looking motherfucker" and they're 100% right. But that's exactly why I like this.

Pigdango

Donator
Well you were definitely wrong about Joker. And I haven't even seen Alita yet. Why are you being so defensive? A ton of people will say "Colin Farrell as the Penguin? But he's more of a Danny DeVito looking motherfucker" and they're 100% right. But that's exactly why I like this.
You keep saying I was wrong about Joker. I wasn’t. The Wayne stuff is in there. It may not have impacted your enjoyment of the film but it impacted my desire to see it. There’s nothing to be right or wrong about there. People that don’t like or aren’t interested in the same things as you aren’t wrong - just different. Saying someone with a different point of view is “wrong” is a pretty odd take in the context of supporting a different point of view in the casting of this movie.

Which is it? Are different points of view wrong or not?

You keep saying I was wrong about Joker. I wasn’t. The Wayne stuff is in there. It may not have impacted your enjoyment of the film but it impacted my desire to see it. There’s nothing to be right or wrong about there. People that don’t like or aren’t interested in the same things as you aren’t wrong - just different. Saying someone with a different point of view is “wrong” is a pretty odd take in the context of supporting a different point of view in the casting of this movie.

Which is it? Are different points of view wrong or not?
Dude, nobody said you're wrong for not liking it or wanting to see it. I'm saying that you're wrong that it's too connected to the Wayne family. Change their name to Johnson and the only thing that impacted your desire to see it was a 15 second scene at the very end that doesn't actually matter to the main storyline even a little. So it was just hearing the name "Wayne" that you didn't like. And again, that's FINE. But you can't assert that this movie ties too much into the Batman canon based on that.

Pigdango

Donator
Dude, nobody said you're wrong for not liking it or wanting to see it. I'm saying that you're wrong that it's too connected to the Wayne family. Change their name to Johnson and the only thing that impacted your desire to see it was a 15 second scene at the very end that doesn't actually matter to the main storyline even a little. So it was just hearing the name "Wayne" that you didn't like. And again, that's FINE. But you can't assert that this movie ties too much into the Batman canon based on that.
There was a whole subplot about him being Thomas Wayne’s son! They resolved all that in 15 seconds? Come on...

I’m legitimately in a full on giggle fit that you never saw Alita by the way...

There was a whole subplot about him being Thomas Wayne’s son! They resolved all that in 15 seconds? Come on...

I’m legitimately in a full on giggle fit that you never saw Alita by the way...
Wayne was just the name, though. There was nothing specifically Thomas Wayne about him. There was a famous rich guy and Arthur thought he was his son. I'm saying that the only thing that is very specifically Wayne is the murder scene, and I happened to hate that too, but it's 15 seconds and at the end.

Like if someone decided to make a gritty Toschi Station movie and take it way out of Star Wars canon but it had a character called Owen Lars in it who said and did some generic stuff and then maybe at very the end you see his burned corpse, would that make the story too tied in to the main Star Wars universe?

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line

Everyone conveniently forgets I’m literally the only one here that was all in on James Gunn and the GotG from the get-go.

I'm not going to go back to it, but I have to assume I was a Gunn Supporter. I loved Super and Slither. If I had doubts it would have been because that was 100x larger than any movie he'd done before. Probably literally.

LiddyRules

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, while I disagree with @Pigdango on a lot of things, I agree with him on Serkis instead of Colin Farrell as The Penguin. Even ignoring the body type, The Penguin shouldn't be suave. He should be gross and weird. Even the svelter Penguin in Gotham had a skin crawly quality to him. Farrell is too debonair, even with Lobster bod.

And Serkis as Alfred? Did the announcement confuse the two?

I also agree that neither of them were second or third choice. Of all the veteran British actors they could go to for Alfred, I can't imagine Andy Serkis was high on the list.

Last edited:

Pigdango

Donator
Anyway, back to the topic at hand, while I disagree with @Pigdango on a lot of things, I agree with him on Serkis instead of Colin Farrel as The Penguin. Even ignoring the body type, The Penguin shouldn't be suave. He should be gross and weird. Even the svelter Penguin in Gotham had a skin crawly quality to him. Farrell is too debonair, even with Lobster bod.

And Serkis as Alfred? Did the announcement confuse the two?

I also agree that neither of them were second or third choice. Of all the veteran British actors they could go to for Alfred, I can't imagine Andy Serkis was high on the list.
My issue with Farrell is that he’s not weird enough, and when he tries to do weird (Daredevil), it comes off like some low rent parody of Johnny Depp.

I wonder if they considered Johnny Depp...

LiddyRules

My issue with Farrell is that he’s not weird enough, and when he tries to do weird (Daredevil), it comes off like some low rent parody of Johnny Depp.

I wonder if they considered Johnny Depp...
I think the last franchise to consider Depp - and the last franchise that will consider Depp - is Fanty Beats, and if they waited 3 months, they wouldn't have. In other news, Fanty 3asts filming in Rio next year, bitches!

What about Ray Winstone as Penguin?

This is him in his last movie

Last edited:

LiddyRules

I guess there's also Toby Jones, but what about him as Calendar Man.

EDIT: Just an FYI. If your safe search is off, it doesn't take long for "Calendar Man" to become something not Batman villain related.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
The minifigs may fit, but that is way off scale.