The best sammich from each state

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Note: This is a Food Network list, so expect it to be horribly bias toward places it's featured on it's shows and very poorly researched.

http://blog.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/2012/08/50-states-50-sandwiches/

50 States, 50 Sandwiches by Food Network Magazine in Food Network Magazine, August 7th, 2012

Sliced bread is the measure against which we judge all the best things in life because without it we wouldn’t have one of the most ingenious food inventions of all time: the sandwich. Starting six months ago, we scoured America for the country’s most delicious sandwiches and we learned two things: One, you can put pretty much anything between two slices of bread, and two, almost everything tastes better that way. We considered sandwiches of all kinds — hot, cold, round, square, tall, pressed, wrapped, meaty, cheesy — and narrowed down our list of favorites to the single must-try sandwich in each state. Catch some of the best on Cooking Channel August 19 at 8pm, then get out there and try them!

The Great American Sandwich Poll
The results are in: Here’s how you like ‘em.

Which cheese do you prefer: American, cheddar, Swiss or provolone?
38% Provolone
23% Swiss
23% Cheddar
16% American

What’s your favorite cold cut?
37% Turkey
19% Ham
18% Roast Beef
17% Salami
9% None

Mayo, mustard or both?
48% Both
31% Mayo
21% Mustard

Your go-to bread is:
46% Whole Wheat
24% White
19% Sourdough
11% Rye

How often do you eat a sandwich?
49% Once or twice a week
27% Three or four times a week
15% More than four times a week
9% Rarely, if ever
For myself, cheddar, Ham (though this is very variable), Rye and 4+ times a week.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
And Everybody is a critic:

50 Best Sandwiches In The U.S. - One From Every State?

Ever year the staff of Food Network Magazine does an annual nationwide ranking of a particular food, such as pizza and burgers. This year it’s sandwiches – the best version from each of the 50 States. According to the press release I got, the editors spent six months scouring the country for each State’s finest sandwich.

In some cases they should have looked harder.

I like the Food Network, but their strength is cooking shows, like Bobby Flay’s Barbecue Addiction, not food travel shows like Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. There’s no doubt Guy Fieri is entertaining, and his show inspires a lot of foodie road trips, and I personally have visited several of his acclaimed destinations. Afterwards I often wondered why. It took me about a year of watching to realize they are ALL acclaimed destinations. He never has a critical word to say, everyplace he eats is great, and on his show, funky or different is as valuable as good, and I think this aesthetic is common to a network celebrating, not critiquing, food, and it permeates the sandwich list. The choices are interesting, and in several cases might even be the best I state (like the grilled cheese from Caseus in New Haven, CT), but they skew towards the trendy, the funky – and towards those that have been previously featured on TV food shows.

Nonetheless, these kinds of lists are always interesting, always engage me as a reader and eater, and always provoke passionate discussion. After all, there is absolutely no chance that any amount of research by anyone is going to result in a list of 50 best of anything that everyone will agree on. So check out the list, which will be published in the September issue of Food Network Magazine and is also available for viewing online here.

Along with the interactive sandwich map of the US, they have some interesting poll results on America’s favorite sandwiches, cheeses and meats. I won’t ruin the surprise, read it for yourself.

I’m not going to critique the list – which is very interesting – state by state, you can be the judge of that. But here are some of my more prominent observations pro and con:

There are some real winners here. When they picked Pane Bianco in Phoenix, the sandwich place that is a sister eatery to the incredibly good and paradigm shifting Pizzeria Bianco, they were preaching to the converted, because I love it. And Baltimore Pit Beef sandwiches in Maryland? It’s hard to look past crab cakes, but yeah, they sure are good, and a true local specialty, and I can respect that. White House Subs in Atlantic City, NJ? Classic, can’t go wrong, I’d eat there. Local ham in West Virginia’s ham country? Yeah baby!

But then it slips a notch: For Louisiana, the best sandwich pick is the Oyster Loaf at Casamento’s. It is a great restaurant and a great dish, and a unique Big Easy standout, but it is borderline a sandwich in the first place, more a meal that happens to include a loaf (yes a large loaf) of bread – just try picking it up. Casamento’s also happens to be yet another prominent stop on the Diners, Drive Ins and Dives rota. On the other hand, I could make the argument – I did make it in my Great American Bites road food column for USAToday - that New Orleans is home to the very best sandwich in the entire county, the delectable, culinary tour de force that is the original mufaletta at its birthplace, Central Grocery. Better than the oyster loaf? Yep? Better than anything on this list? Yep. A glaring omission? Yep.

Speaking of omissions, I clicked on the Maine section of the map to see what their favorite lobster roll was. After all, this is not only a hotly debated issue, it is half the reason people go to Maine in the first place, and it is suddenly trendy, spawning lobster roll specialty restaurants from Manhattan to Las Vegas. But they skipped this no brainier, ultra-rich classic completely, along with its time honored Maine brethren clam, oyster, shrimp and scallop rolls. The winner? Duck confit. Whatever.

Also largely ignored was barbecue, the hottest foodstuff in the nation right now and the most indigenous of America’s major regional cuisines. The traditional barbecue belt extends throughout the entire south, large swaths of the Midwest, through Texas and into the Southwest and Rockies. Yet they found just one single example, North Carolina’s signature chopped pork. No pulled pork, no brisket, no sausage. Here’s the deal: I go to Tennessee for a sandwich and I’m having pulled pork – not chicken salad. I go to Alabama and I’m having something smoked, not a lamb and walnut Persian wrap. And so on.

New York has always been famous for its deli sandwiches, traditionally driven by legendary Jewish specialties like pastrami, corned beef and briskest, with several of the world’s most famous and venerable dispensaries. Which did they choose, Katz, Carnegie, Stage? Nope, they went with chicken parmesan at Parm, the newer eatery from the folks who brought us the delicious Torrisi Italian Specialties. I’ve heard Parm is great and in theory there is no reason a new sandwich could not be the city’s best, but chicken parm? For New York? I’m a bit suspicious.

What do you think?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryol...t-sandwiches-in-the-u-s-one-from-every-state/

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago
Lists are like assholes. They are bloated, have bleached hair, and are extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeme.

Dec 9, 2004
Baton Rouge
So Louisiana's sammich is something called an Oyster Loaf.....

I've never heard of it, or that restaurant.

In their defense however, I've only lived here for 34 years and only been to New Orleans several hundred times....

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
How the fuck is Jack... specifically Pepper Jack... not an option? That said, American and Chedder cheeses are exponentially better than swiss and provolone.

Otherwise, I agree with the results... minus the fact that my go-to bread is a nice dutch crunch.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State

In their defense however, I've only lived here for 34 years and only been to New Orleans several hundred times....
I live in California but my favorite sandwiches are all back-east specialties. Love me a good Reuben.

I know it's a French sandwich, but I always think of a Monte Cristo as being a good California sandwich and I'll order it if I see it on a menu because it's so rare to find.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

Here is your answer: [yt]hetxqtEGQlE[/yt]

And I know when I think Alabama....I think Iranian wraps.
And Kansas is so about the Banh Mi.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
On a side note, has anyone else seen Adam Richman's Best Sandwich In America series on the Travel Channel?

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
No way a cheese steak lost to a Keilbasi and cheese in PA., an Italian sub beat the Sligo from Kelly's Tavern in Belmar or a "Fat _______" from the grease trucks at Rutgers in NJ., or the pork chop sandwich or Bison steak sandwich from Butte MT. Fucking Flawed.

MetalBender

I like fistables.
Dec 20, 2009
New Orleans....Iowa
How the fuck is Jack... specifically Pepper Jack... not an option? That said, American and Chedder cheeses are exponentially better than swiss and provolone.

Otherwise, I agree with the results... minus the fact that my go-to bread is a nice dutch crunch.
And Havarti, you can't make a good sandwich without Havarti.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Note: This is a Food Network list, so expect it to be horribly bias toward places it's featured on it's shows and very poorly researched.

http://blog.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/2012/08/50-states-50-sandwiches/

For myself, cheddar, Ham (though this is very variable), Rye and 4+ times a week.
For me, its cheddar, ham, (sometimes with salami), country white or honey heat 2x a week.

I like provolone, but I don't see how it beat out cheddar and American either.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
PA's a kielbasa and cheese sandwich? Bullshit.

At least they got NJ right.

Can't beat a hoagie from the White House in A/C.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Delaware is a crab cake? The Bobbie from Caprioti's is the reason Wawa sells those turkey sandwiches. This list is shit.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
Here is your answer: [yt]hetxqtEGQlE[/yt]

And Kansas is so about the Banh Mi.
Never heard of it. If I had to guess, maybe the plain bologna and cheese on white bread for Kansas. Nothing fancy here, it's against the law.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
The Rueben sammich; originated in Omaha and won a national sammich contest in the 50's. Some hacks try to claim they invented it in NYC, but nobody ever heard of the sammich until it won.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
For California in terms of fame, goodness and locality-identification I say an In-N-Out double-double.

MTJonny

Donator
Apr 24, 2009
Greater Seattle area
No way a cheese steak lost to a Keilbasi and cheese in PA., an Italian sub beat the Sligo from Kelly's Tavern in Belmar or a "Fat _______" from the grease trucks at Rutgers in NJ., or the pork chop sandwich or Bison steak sandwich from Butte MT. Fucking Flawed.
Goddammit, now this is all I want. Did you ever have a wop chop from the Freeway tavern?

Apr 5, 2015
Sub-Prime
They couldn't make that list more wrong if they tried. I'm not sure they didn't try.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Never even heard of the Yardbird Sandwich. In Michigan, my favorite is a steak sandwich from Big Johns Steak and Onion.

Current favorite from a National chain is Arby's Bacon Sandwich. It's amazing how much bacon is in it.

Before that it was Wendy's Pretzel Burger.

Last edited: