Dec 28, 2008
hell
It's a bit NSFW because of morgue and crime scene photos

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
I'm going to go with random Negro.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Wait, the "black" dahlia? WHERE WAS GEORGE ZIMMERMAN?

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Your sister's underwear drawer
I went through a period where I voraciously read everything James Ellroy wrote. Of course, he peaked with AMERICAN TABLOID, one of the greatest novels of the 20th century.

For some reason I got really turned off by the staccato style he adopted for THE COLD SIX THOUSAND and I haven't read anything else since.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
I went through a period where I voraciously read everything James Ellroy wrote. Of course, he peaked with AMERICAN TABLOID, one of the greatest novels of the 20th century.

For some reason I got really turned off by the staccato style he adopted for THE COLD SIX THOUSAND and I haven't read anything else since.
He hasn't written anything since, besides a second memoir.

May 30, 2013

Did you ever catch the television show he did (if memory serves it was on "Investigation Discovery")? I couldn't stand the "James Ellroy Gumshoe" character he made for himself. I thought it ruined the show.

*Edit- here's an example

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
I didn't see that. But I have on videotape somewhere an old documentary he did, which was made around the time he published WHITE JAZZ. I think he even says himself it was the first time he really spoke openly about his mother's murder.

Ellroy is nothing if not an exceptional self-promoter. And I don't mean that as a slight at all. He'd be the first to admit it.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
I didn't see that. But I have on videotape somewhere an old documentary he did, which was made around the time he published WHITE JAZZ. I think he even says himself it was the first time he really spoke openly about his mother's murder.

Ellroy is nothing if not an exceptional self-promoter. And I don't mean that as a slight at all. He'd be the first to admit it.
Someone mentioned in the comments in a related video of Ellroy talking about movies, that he is the greatest troll ever. I kind of agree with that sentiment. I was wrong btw, he wrote Blood's A Rover than his second memoir. You can tell in his writings how emotionally fucked up he is over his mother's murder.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I was hoping this was some kind of a Wackbag murder-mystery thread. That some poster named Black Dahlia stopped posting
Apparently not...

May 30, 2013
I was hoping this was some kind of a Wackbag murder-mystery thread. That some poster named Black Dahlia stopped posting
Apparently not...
Well after you're murdered by the guy offering a "job" we'll start a thread. Unfortunately you won't be here for all the "who done it" fun.

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
You can tell in his writings how emotionally fucked up he is over his mother's murder.
I don't doubt he is. But he has said many times that he definitely exploits it for book sales.

And I like how he occasionally turns up as a character in one of Andrew Vachss's 'Burke' series as 'Ellroy', a dog breeder who Burke goes to every now and then. Even Barko makes an appearance.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
I don't doubt he is. But he has said many times that he definitely exploits it for book sales.

And I like how he occasionally turns up as a character in one of Andrew Vachss's 'Burke' series as 'Ellroy', a dog breeder who Burke goes to every now and then. Even Barko makes an appearance.
He's writing a second L.A. Quartet set in the 30's and 40's and dealing with most of the characters from the first. The first book comes out sometime this year.

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Sweet.

I was such a fanboy back in the day I actually wrote a screenplay for one of his short stories called DIAL AXMINSTER 6-400

I typed that shit out on an electric typewriter. It's pretty fuckin' good.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I learned from those videos that I'm more likely to believe a man with a nice tight-trimmed grey mustache.