The Big Fantasy Recommendation Thread

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Anyone read/know of Gardens of the Moon?
Nope, but I looked into it along with other classic fantasy. Decided to go with a series called Belgariad. Anyone read it? Just started book 1 and digging it so far.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Quick search reveals @Saikotic knows Belgariad. You like?
I know those!!!

I find them enjoyable. It's pretty paint by numbers fantasy fare, (boy is a nobody, has a destiny, blah blah) but it's done really well. One of the those series that should be on every fantasy fan's "to read" list.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I know those!!!

I find them enjoyable. It's pretty paint by numbers fantasy fare, (boy is a nobody, has a destiny, blah blah) but it's done really well. One of the those series that should be on every fantasy fan's "to read" list.
As long as it is done well, I don't mind that it is paint by numbers. All fantasy is.

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
Quick search reveals @Saikotic knows Belgariad. You like?
Yeah it was pretty well done. Each country in this world has its own people and way of life. In one country, the people are traders but secretly spies with their own type of quick sign language so they can hold two conversations at once, while another country has knights on one side and rangers on another in a long civil war. The main story is about an eons old prophecy that's naturally about to come to pass.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Way of Kings was pretty good, though it dragged enough in certain areas to become super annoying. We get it, you feel guilty about shit, no need to bring it up every fucking chapter. Like the world, like the characters, but so much of their development was the same development such that by the time they actually got around to progressing the plot it was the last 7th of the novel. My understanding is that the next novel follows different characters. I'm not eager to rush in the next installment knowing it's just going to drag out the same way.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
On a side note,

Every time Kaladin breathed in storm light and wielded a spear I subconsciously started driving aggressively.

Oh, and the final reveal was stupid.

TomC

uppity neobarb
On a side note,

Every time Kaladin breathed in storm light and wielded a spear I subconsciously started driving aggressively.

Oh, and the final reveal was stupid.
Words of Rad is all Kal, what her name, and Danilar and his sons.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Way of Kings was pretty good, though it dragged enough in certain areas to become super annoying. We get it, you feel guilty about shit, no need to bring it up every fucking chapter. Like the world, like the characters, but so much of their development was the same development such that by the time they actually got around to progressing the plot it was the last 7th of the novel. My understanding is that the next novel follows different characters. I'm not eager to rush in the next installment knowing it's just going to drag out the same way.
Book 2 is more of the same with less good parts imo.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Belgariad was alright. Not going to continue series.

Next read is an urban fantasy about a secret society of truckers called The Brotherhood of the Wheel. Seriously. Reviews are great.

BIV

Started reading the first book of the Temeraire series, His Majesty's Dragon.

Alternate history of the Napoleonic Wars
i
f dragons were real and part of the war effort.

Not far enough in to have any real opinions other than the writing is good.

Went though a few of Amazon's really cheaps and you could tell how awful the writing was within the first page.

BIV

Anyone read the Shannara books? Started the first one but fuck me is it standard. Really struggling to get through. Is it worth fighting on?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Anyone read the Shannara books? Started the first one but fuck me is it standard. Really struggling to get through. Is it worth fighting on?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
The first one is just a thick version of Lord of the Rings, but after that it starts to get into its own groove. I quite enjoy them, at one point I had read them all, but I haven't read any new ones in ages.

DiggerNick

Donator
I think a lot of people can agree that reading fantasy on the Kindle and keeping track of shit can be like an elephant's foreskin; quite a drawback.

Especially when it comes to maps. Not being able to just flip to a map can be a pain in the arse so there's a website that has collected online images of lots of fantasy maps from different writers. So you can print them out and keep it with you while you read.

http://afantasyreader.blogspot.com.au/2009/04/index-of-maps.html

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I think a lot of people can agree that reading fantasy on the Kindle and keeping track of shit can be like an elephant's foreskin; quite a drawback.

Especially when it comes to maps. Not being able to just flip to a map can be a pain in the arse so there's a website that has collected online images of lots of fantasy maps from different writers. So you can print them out and keep it with you while you read.

http://afantasyreader.blogspot.com.au/2009/04/index-of-maps.html
I don't consider myself too nerdy most of the time but god dammit do I love a fantasy map.

doomvulture

Lord of Jailbait
New book out in the Black Company Series on audible. Port of Shadows, Set between books 1 and 2.

BIV

I stumbled into a great fantasy series.

The Wings of War series by Bryce O'Connor.

I was desperate for something new and it was offered to me in an Amazon email. It was 99 cents, so I was all "fuck it".

But it had me from the beginning. It's definitely inspired by D&D style books like Forgotten Realms, but it has a solid setting, solid characters with believable flaws. The mythology is deep and thought out.

Still 99-Cents. Check it out if you need a fun, low effort read.