OpieRadio Logo
Anthony Cumia Show Logo
Jim Norton Logo

The Big Science Fiction Recommendation Thread

Discussion in 'Books & Literature' started by NeonTaster, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Jacuzzi Billy

Jacuzzi Billy Watching PTI
    Donator

You're an enigma. From the reviews, people loved Skippy. I didn't hate him but didn't love him either. I will agree that it is closer to Weir than Cline.

2. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

My issues were with the book itself, not just Skippy. My thoughts re: Skippy this point are that I knew something like Skippy was going to happen. Things were written into a corner early in such a way that only a bit of desu ex machina could have driven the story forward. While his personality is a bit heavy handed, I disapproved of the sloppy writing that lead to this point.

3. Jacuzzi Billy

Donator

And when you introduce a character like Skippy it makes all other characters obsolete. Or it should. The author tries to make it work but fails imo. It's all sloppy.

4. Falldog

Donator

Well it's really been a one man show thus far, so to speak. The author definitely opened up by giving Skippy to many powers straight out of the box though. It makes sense universe wise, but sometimes you need to have limits for the story's sake. That's part of why I enjoyed Commonwealth so much, it gave great resources to everyone then went into the detail of their implications and limitations.

5. Falldog

Donator

Finished today. I'm looking forward to the next novel in the series.

And your point about the balance is accurate, though I think a bit over stated. In quite a few areas it's just too much, but I think it's largely in line the rest of the novel's 'level of difficulty' so to speak. I think I'd probably like it less if the audio book wasn't so well done.

Also, I think there's something to be said for a novel staring a generic military grunt with so little combat.

6. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

Cunt Smasher likes this.
  7. Jacuzzi Billy

Donator

First off, your're still an enigma. Good point about there being little combat, I didn't really think of that. Probably for the best because I don't think that was the author's strength. I'm not sure what his strength was. I might give book 2 a few chapters to see if he tightens things up. Book 2 is out btw.

#507 Jacuzzi Billy, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  8. Falldog

Donator

How so? I can look masterpieces as much as I like pew pew (even though this book had very little pew).

I'd say his strength was how the story kept going. I never really thought like it was plodding along, and despite the atypical narrative, things never really felt like a waste. It felt like the characters and the world grew, even if it was comparatively simple growth. There has been zero character growth across every Kloos sequel.

HIs biggest weakness is where he covers over something two or more times. He repeats himself quite a bit.

Yeah, just saw that when I signed into Audible. Bobiverse book 2 is out today as well, so that's getting a listen first.

I wish Columbus Day was out on paperback. Buying physical copies is the only way I can keep track of all the shit I've read.

9. Jacuzzi Billy

Donator

I think you nailed his biggest strength. I'm not sure you're right about the biggest weakness but it was a problem, which is odd considering his biggest strength.

You're an enigma because I can never figure out what you're going to like/dislike. For example, the Bobiverse??? Seriously? It's one of the books I was referring to when I said I hate the direction sci-fi is going. Having said that, I will admit I bailed on it quick and didn't give it a complete fair shot.

#509 Jacuzzi Billy, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  10. Falldog

Donator

We are Legion (or whatever it was called) has an absolutely horrendous start. That first chapter where he goes to a con is some grade A Cline bullshit. It serves an important purpose but is terribly executed, specially with the references. Thankfully that the references drop down drastically after that and things really start to develop.

The rest of the book is like a novelization of a space exploration game. It takes a pretty basic concept (self replicating exploration drones) and runs with it unlike anything else I've heard of. While there's some pew pew, it's nice to have a book that's more about exploration and development than space warfare. It's certainly not perfect and has some major flaws though. Namely the lack of a central plot. He also decries sci-fi programs that "hand wave" over fictional tech, only to do the same later. I'm really interested in the follow up to see what happens with the former concern.

11. Jacuzzi Billy

Donator

As soon as I started, I couldn't get Cline out of my head. I'll give it another shot knowing it gets better.

12. Jacuzzi Billy

Donator

So I restarted BOB @Falldog. It isn't Cline-esque, it's worse than Cline. I'm 16 minutes in and remembering why I quit. There are sooooo many shitty lines (and not just references, stop trying to be fucking funny!!!). The problem is, and this was my thinking the first time around, no matter how great the story gets or how cool the science is, there's no way I can finish it if the barrage of douchey lines continues. I'm going to give it an hour.

#512 Jacuzzi Billy, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  13. Falldog

Donator

Like I said, skip the first chapter or so.

14. Jacuzzi Billy

Donator

I'm about half way through. You're right, much better after the first few chapters.. The idea is pretty brilliant. There's still too many star wars/star trek references. Nothing had made me too mad until this unfunny fuck had the audacity to bash Homer Simpson.

15. Falldog

Donator

Much of the references are just "Hey, I can't believe people still watched Star Trek this far into the future" which is fine on its own, but he says is like four times over two books.

He doesn't hate Homer, Riker hates Homer.

16. Jacuzzi Billy

Donator

I know, but it felt like one of those things that was a reflection of the author's beliefs. I mean, who the hell hates Homer?

17. Falldog

Donator

I don't think he would've picked Homer if he didn't like him though. Though I get the feeling he sort of regretted his choice, especially after the events in book two.

18. gorram

gorram ;)

It is a good concept, just started the second book, liking where it is going particularly regarding "the others" The references aren't that bad though I barely know fuck all of Star Trek so maybe I am missing some.

Sounds like the narrator is doing a Darrell Hammond Sean Connery impression for Guppi. And this is all I can picture when he is brought up:

[​IMG]

19. chumpy

chumpy Neurological Anomaly
    Donator

I've always meant to read Robert A. Heinlein. Where should I start?

20. Jacuzzi Billy

Donator

I guess the obvious is Starship Troopers. If you want something a little weirder and more complex go with Stranger in a Strange Land. If you want a light, great read go with Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Or one of his Juveniles, like Tunnel in the Sky or Farmer in the Sky, which are young adult but still terrific.

Falldog likes this.
  21. Jacuzzi Billy

Donator

I quit again. Despite the good concept, I found it dull and was having to force myself to continue.

22. gorram

gorram ;)

I can see that with some of the plot lines of certain Bobs, some I like some are meh. One thing I don't care for is that by design this could go on over countless books. I can tolerate a trilogy, would definitely get bored with more.

Falldog and Jacuzzi Billy like this.
  23. BIV

I second all of this.

Falldog likes this.
  24. Jacuzzi Billy

Donator

You did recommend both the juveniles I mentioned. Loved them both. Just bought Red Planet. You read that one?

25. BIV

Glad you enjoyed them. They were two of my favorites as a kid. Tunnel in the Sky, in particular, influences the novels I enjoy to this day. (I see you, Dies the Fire, which I just read for the fifth time)

Not sure I ever read Red Planet. I might have, but his titles blend together on me.