The Big Science Fiction Recommendation Thread

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
When I finally get around to ranking my favorite sci-fi novels the Commonwealth Saga is going right to the top.
Should I start with Misspent Youth or Pandora's Star?

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
When I finally get around to ranking my favorite sci-fi novels the Commonwealth Saga is going right to the top.
Have you read the related books after Judas? I was thinking of picking them up.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Have you read the related books after Judas? I was thinking of picking them up.
Void Trilogy? Yeah, it suffers from telling two stories, each at the expense of the other.

Falldog

Donator
I'm listening to this now (about half way through). Did you ever check it out?
That shit is terrible.

The beginning is as bad as anything in Armada.
The concept is good but it just got boring over the course of 3 books. Was meh on the humor, but I don't follow most of material he was referencing so it didn't bother me much.
I agree the concept was good. I hated the humor.
I'm trying to reserve judgment until it ends, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Novelty is wearing off.
I've gone through the first two, have the last queued up for once I finish Children of Time.

For the most part there isn't a giant plot arc, it plays like a novel version of some sort of space exploration sim like No Mans Sky. I like it because of that.

In book two a conflict gets set up for a potential resolution in book three. It's certainly something that could continue ad nauseam but I see the sign to stop after three a smart sign.

I've gone through the first two, have the last queued up for once I finish Children of Time.

For the most part there isn't a giant plot arc, it plays like a novel version of some sort of space exploration sim like No Mans Sky. I like it because of that.

In book two a conflict gets set up for a potential resolution in book three. It's certainly something that could continue ad nauseam but I see the sign to stop after three a smart sign.
Agreed, but book 3 was a real miss for me. The potential is good with an audiobook to dose off from the book and focus on something else. Usually when that happens I would bounce back a few minutes and catch up on what I may have missed. I just never bothered doing that with book 3. I remember the story coming around in book 2 and started enjoying it but that never happened for me in book 3. I'm not even sure the resolution of that conflict you mentioned.

I found myself wanting to slap the many beverages out of their hands. "I invoked a coffee...." THWACK

DrewDown

All are welcome

Children of Time is phenomenal. It's a rare example of excellent modern sci-fi.

I've enjoyed We Are Legion so far, but I can see how it might not keep my attention much longer. My biggest critique right now is the pacing. It moves very quickly. The fact that Bob finds life on distant planets almost as soon as he starts looking really bothers me. I'm also getting tired of Admiral Ackbar and Homer. All that said, the concept is intriguing and the humor works to make for an easy listen. I wouldn't say it's horrible. It's not great either.

Oh, and since I trust your opinion on SF, have you ever read Earth Abides? It's an old post-apocalyptic novel from the late 40s. I think it inspired King's The Stand.

Falldog

Donator
Children of Time is phenomenal. It's a rare example of excellent modern sci-fi.

I've enjoyed We Are Legion so far, but I can see how it might not keep my attention much longer. My biggest critique right now is the pacing. It moves very quickly. The fact that Bob finds life on distant planets almost as soon as he starts looking really bothers me. I'm also getting tired of Admiral Ackbar and Homer. All that said, the concept is intriguing and the humor works to make for an easy listen. I wouldn't say it's horrible. It's not great either.

Oh, and since I trust your opinion on SF, have you ever read Earth Abides? It's an old post-apocalyptic novel from the late 40s. I think it inspired King's The Stand.
Walking into my house tonight, after listening to more of the audio book on the way home, I noticed a giant spider on one of my windows. Thanks to Children of Time I'm conflicted as to what to do.

I like that the story of Bob is quick. If that type of story were to slow down and smell the roses I think it would be way too exhausting. For me the audio book moved well, keeping some of the larger flaws less of an issue. Besides, if he realistically found dead rock after dead rock it would be boring a shit.

As for Earth Abides, I haven't, but it's been on my Amazon wish list for ages now.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Walking into my house tonight, after listening to more of the audio book on the way home, I noticed a giant spider on one of my windows. Thanks to Children of Time I'm conflicted as to what to do.
Your girl walks in as you are talking to it, "Who is Portia??? Oh my god, you're having an affair."

Falldog

Donator
Finished Children of Time today.

Loved and hated the ending.

Loved that it went in a direction I wasn't expecting.

Hated that it ended rather abruptly and didn't go into detail.

Loved that it did that, which is in keeping with classic sci-fi.

Saikotic

Donator
Start with Pandora's Star.

I hear Misspent Youth isn't that good and you don't need it for Pandora.
I'm finding it a bit hard to get into, not because of the shifting points of view, but due to John Lee's bad narration. I swear he trails off and gets quiet at the end of every other sentence and the conversation between characters seems monotone and flippant at times.

DrewDown

All are welcome
Finished Children of Time today.

Loved and hated the ending.

Loved that it went in a direction I wasn't expecting.

Hated that it ended rather abruptly and didn't go into detail.

Loved that it did that, which is in keeping with classic sci-fi.
It's the kind of thing that makes you want a sequel. I know better than to want it, but I enjoyed the progression of the book so much. It was hard to let it go. A sequel would likely suck.

Falldog

Donator
I'm finding it a bit hard to get into, not because of the shifting points of view, but due to John Lee's bad narration. I swear he trails off and gets quiet at the end of every other sentence and the conversation between characters seems monotone and flippant at times.
It's been awhile but I sort of remember there being production issues.

Falldog

Donator
It's the kind of thing that makes you want a sequel. I know better than to want it, but I enjoyed the progression of the book so much. It was hard to let it go. A sequel would likely suck.
I thought about it for half a second. A sequel could easily be done. But it would have to be drastically different and would suck. Hope the author goes on to other universes.

Saikotic

Donator
I thought about it for half a second. A sequel could easily be done. But it would have to be drastically different and would suck. Hope the author goes on to other universes.
That setting was excellent. Not only did the human race manage to make it to distant stars, but we did it twice. (Don't care to spoil much)

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Now that we have thoroughly loved up Childeren of Time, can we talk about the one issue? The pacing. He needs to tighten it up.

The audiobook is 16 hours. If it's somewhere between 12 and 14, the book goes from really good to perfect.

Last edited:

Falldog

Donator
Now that we have thoroughly loved up Childeren of Time, can we talk about the one issue? The pacing. He needs to tighten it up.

The audiobook is 16 hours. If it's somewhere between 12 and 14, the book goes from really good to perfect.
Nah, shit was fine. Can't think what they could've taken out without detriment to the rest of the narrative.

In other news, I decided to listen to The Fold next. Heard mixed reviews but figured I'd give it a shot. Got about 30 seconds in it's the same narrator as Bobiverse so I decided to come back to it later.

Went and started Expansion Wars (sequel trilogy to that trilogy about the guy who fights the Phage). Thoroughly enjoyed it. Going to hold off on the second one until the third one comes out.

Started The Fold again. 30 seconds from where I left off and there's a Game of Thrones references. Yeah, I'll come back to it later.