The Big Science Fiction Recommendation Thread

I'm finding it a bit hard to get into, not because of the shifting points of view, but due to John Lee's bad narration. I swear he trails off and gets quiet at the end of every other sentence and the conversation between characters seems monotone and flippant at times.
I've got to turn my trucks head unit to the low to mid 50s out of 60 to hear him most of the time. The side mirrors and rear view mirror shake when I play rock music at mid 30s to 40s, playing music at that same volume as his narration would be deafening. Hope the later books aren't this way.

Pandora's Star has been great though. Some of the detective work and political discussions are a bit too drawn out (GET ON WITH IT!) but the sci-fi parts are great.

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
Some of the detective work and political discussions are a bit too drawn out (GET ON WITH IT!) but the sci-fi parts are great.
This is what I'm feeling. Get on with the Dyson pair shit, the space ship. I don't care about the terrorist, the rich bitch, or the detective.

This is what I'm feeling. Get on with the Dyson pair shit, the space ship. I don't care about the terrorist, the rich bitch, or the detective.
Do stick with it, I still have +8 hours to go but there are some really great plots among those more boring elements you brought up.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
It's all relevant, you'll appreciate it later.

Falldog

Donator
Currently reading The Oroboros Wave. It's really hard sci-fi, and I'm not sure if there's any sort of plot.

On a side note, Snow Crash pops in my head at least once a month when I think about cyberpunk stories, especially when someone brings up RPO. It's an easy 9.5/10.

Saikotic

Donator
Has anyone heard of Alex Verus? The friend who recommended The Dresden Files to me told me I'd really like this.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I was looking at this year's Hugo winners. The first 6 I looked at it, and nearly all the rest, were women winners. Good lord, I think the movement went a little overboard.

Saikotic

Donator
I was looking at this year's Hugo winners. The first 6 I looked at it, and nearly all the rest, were women winners. Good lord, I think the movement went a little overboard.
It's been like that for a few years now. The social justice types have poisoned the well and groups that called themselves puppies I think, have tried to bring it back to normal. Writers get shit on for their personal politics or for not being inclusive or for being inclusive while being a white male, because they can't fathom what it's like for those oppressed people.

'bag favorite John Scalzi is a noted scumbag sjw

Falldog

Donator
Finished Ouroboros Wave.

Going to take a swing at everyone's favorite, Red Shirts, next.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Finished Ouroboros Wave.

Going to take a swing at everyone's favorite, Red Shirts, next.
Have fun with that gimmicky shite.

You should try Three Body Problem. Finally got around to it myself. Just started but it's good so far.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
If you want Scalzi, try Fuzzy Nation. After the OMW Series, it's my favorite by him.

Falldog

Donator
Have fun with that gimmicky shite.

You should try Three Body Problem. Finally got around to it myself. Just started but it's good so far.
Another one that's on the list. Been too suspicious of it. Wining the Hugo, Obama liking it, Adam Savage loving it, sounds like it might be a political trap.

Falldog

Donator
All the Ender-verse books.

Joking!

There is a new Ender-verse book out btw.
Not touching that series again after the shit show that was the Bean saga. I had four books about Ender. They were great. End of universe.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Not touching that series again after the shit show that was the Bean saga. I had four books about Ender. They were great. End of universe.
At least you liked the four Ender books. That's two more than most.

Falldog

Donator
This book is decided to Wil Wheaton...............