The Big Science Fiction Recommendation Thread

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
Finished Ouroboros Wave.

Going to take a swing at everyone's favorite, Red Shirts, next.
Ahhhh meta for the sake of being meta. Damn, but I did not like that book.

ginaf20697

I never did finish the Honor Harrington books, think I quit after 7 or so.
Me either though I got a little further along. Typical David Weber. Gets sidetracked with a million subplots. I've pretty much given up on all his stuff.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Finished Redshirts. Well, the novelish part. Apparently the latter quarter the book are short stories or something. Will get to that later tonight.

Redshirts as a novel is okay, starts off strong with a fun premise but then stutters as soon as it tries to take a fun premise and make a story from there. Once they discover a way toward resolution it becomes extremely boring without any sense of suspense/drama/compelling reason to care.

It's essentially a short story with a bunch of fluff for length (nevermind the larger font, line spacing, and margins).

2013 must have been a weak year for Hugo contestants.

Falldog

Donator
I was SHOCKED to see the last Kloos novel had such great reviews on Amazon/Goodreads that I felt compelled to add my own...

I don't see what people like in this series. I've read everyone each year in a RLM Best of the Worst mindset and every year it's exactly the same. Zero character development. Probably the least interesting and compelling alien enemy in the history of sci-fi novels. Concepts and tech that broke ground three decades ago.

At first it's interesting, battle sequence are well written and engaging, but with each novel all you get is a series of sequence that have little to no development implications for the universe or characters. At least one prior novel features 2/3 that could be removed with no consequence to the story. Our main character continuously finds himself in impossible to survive circumstances, survives, and then laments about how awful it is. What does this ongoing PTSD result in? Certainly not any sort of meaningful character arc.

The first portion of this novel is a dream sequence, and so obviously a dream sequence, that I can't help but feel Kloos was prosperously wasting my time. He’s already written himself into such a deep hole with the Lankies that suddenly seeing them use ‘tactics’ doesn’t come off as anything other than a vain attempt to dig back out.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s a place for light sci-fi, and there are quite a few series out there which I enjoy (often despite similar problems), but the Frontlines series is built upon a lackluster-to-terrible foundation. Layering the same story year after year has not built up a compelling narrative.
I look forward to seeing that buried along side my Armada review.

Falldog

Donator
I get a warm and fuzzy feeling every time I see someone on the internet bash Armada.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I dont think I ever gave my thoughts on Three body Problem.

It's fantastic. The story is good, not great, but the science fiction aspects are as good as anything ever written. Miles ahead of the Cline/Kloos world we live in, obviously.

One of the characters is great too so that helps with the story part.

Last edited:

Saikotic

Donator
I'm in the latest Expanse novel. So far so good

Falldog

Donator
Forgot to mention that I finished The Fold a few weeks back. The first chapter completely ruins 75% of the novel by removing all mystery of what's happening.

Falldog

Donator
Finished Babylon's Ashes. Always enjoy hopping into the universe, so many great characters.

Felt like the book spent a bit too much time on 'mah feelings.' I also had my expectations subverted with what happened to Marco and Filip. Not sure how I feel about either, but I think what happened was for the best.

Interesting how the book wrapped up the story so much. It'll be interesting to see how the last three novels play out.

Saikotic

Donator
Finished Babylon's Ashes. Always enjoy hopping into the universe, so many great characters.

Felt like the book spent a bit too much time on 'mah feelings.' I also had my expectations subverted with what happened to Marco and Filip. Not sure how I feel about either, but I think what happened was for the best.

Interesting how the book wrapped up the story so much. It'll be interesting to see how the last three novels play out.
There's a jump forward in time for the next one, but it makes sense.

Falldog

Donator
There's a jump forward in time for the next one, but it makes sense.
I saw, think it'll be a good thing. You sort of lose the idea that the events of the series take place over at least a decade.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
so i was told about this book called Armada that its fantastic. i think maybe we should read that as a group or something. sounds right up @LiddyRules and @Pigdango s alley

Falldog

Donator
Starting on Altered Carbon tonight.

Saikotic

Donator
Reviews on Audible looked good, but the sample was enough to nope out.
It's like he was dared to do the worst gumshoe detective voice possible.

Falldog

Donator
Almost half way through Altered Carbon, I look forward to reading it every night. At this rate it won't quite make my top 10 sci-fi novels but it'll be in the top 20 for sure.

Falldog

Donator
Finished Altered Carbon. Enjoyable, but I don't think people should be clamoring over each other to read it. It's been placed as #20 on my top sci-fi novel list.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Finished Altered Carbon. Enjoyable, but I don't think people should be clamoring over each other to read it. It's been placed as #20 on my top sci-fi novel list.
Care to share your list?