The Big Science Fiction Recommendation Thread

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
I'm holding off on publication until I can re-read some classics I haven't read in ages and get them slotted in.
Fair enough. I'll be interested in reading your ranking when it's ready.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Fair enough. I'll be interested in reading your ranking when it's ready.
I'm constantly moving things around. Every book has pros and cons but those key points don't necessarily line up for comparison. The top 10 is pretty stable, as is the bottom few (Armada), but the middle is pretty muddled.

Last edited:

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
Old Man's War would make my list, even if the author is a twat.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Old Man's War would make my list, even if the author is a twat.
That's tier one or tier two for me. Prob tier one.

I'm trying to think of a better overall three book sci fi series. It's as good as any.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Went through some of my audible library. These are tier one and two from that list...

Children of Time
Three Body Problem
Red Rising Trilogy
Mote in God's Eye
Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Starship Troopers
Stranger in a Strange Land
Tunnel in the Sky
Fuzzy Nation
End of Eternity
Armor
RP1 o_Oo_Oo_O
Old Man's War
Spin
Ender's Game (And many other Enderverse books)
Oryx and Crake
The Martian

Falldog

Donator
I don't think Old Man's War was that great. It wasn't bad, but I didn't love it enough to remember it favorably. Guy went green, ended up hating war, ended up being meh about war, end.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I don't think Old Man's War was that great. It wasn't bad, but I didn't love it enough to remember it favorably. Guy went green, ended up hating war, ended up being meh about war, end.
Can you think of a better three book sci fi series though? I read one of Asimov's popular series and OMW was just as good imo.

Actually, I forgot about the first three Ender books. Those are superior.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Can you think of a better three book sci fi series though? I read one of Asimov's popular series and OMW was just as good imo.

Dune?

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I've never read them. Not even the first. I know that's blasphemy since it is widely considered the best all time sci-fi book. There was always something about it that didn't quite appeal to me.

I'm putting the first one in my cart. I need to at least try it.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
I've never read them. Not even the first. I know that's blasphemy since it is widely considered the best all time sci-fi book. There was always something about it that didn't quite appeal to me.

I'm putting the first one in my cart. I need to at least try it.
Since I'm a tier guy it's tough for me to call any book/series the GOAT, but Dune is definitely tier 1 for me. It's one of those series I read as a kid that inspired me to keep reading sci fi.

How about...

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Ringworld
Hyperion Cantos
Book of the New Sun (kind of a blend of fantasy, but one of my favorites of all time)

Falldog

Donator

I haven't read anything past the first OMW, but there are quite a few series that I place higher. The Red Mars/Blue Mars/Green Mars starts off better than OMW though I never finished the second.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Since I'm a tier guy it's tough for me to call any book/series the GOAT, but Dune is definitely tier 1 for me. It's one of those series I read as a kid that inspired me to keep reading sci fi.

How about...

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Ringworld
Hyperion Cantos
Book of the New Sun (kind of a blend of fantasy, but one of my favorites of all time)
I loved the first HGttG. I read the second but there was no reason for it imo. Read the first Hyperion and liked it but didn't want to continue. I'll check out the others someday. I like the sci fi fantasy blend.
I haven't read anything past the first OMW,

Your enigma reputation with me only gets stronger.

Falldog

Donator
I loved the first HGttG. I read the second but there was no reason for it imo. Read the first Hyperion and liked it but didn't want to continue. I'll check out the others someday. I like the sci fi fantasy blend.

Your enigma reputation with me only gets stronger.
It's on my list to re-read before I publish. Maybe I'll be more interested the second time around to continue the series.

Falldog

Donator
I finished Altered Carbon book 2.

Most of it is uninspired sci-fi that fails to develop on some of the themes in the first novel. Not bad, but I'm not in a rush to recommend it to anyone.

I did really like the last chapter. Major props to any author who takes the time to wrap things up give characters a decent ending. Looking at you, Stephenson.

Falldog

Donator
Finished Altered Carbon book 3. More of the same. Mix feelings over all.

Staring a re-listen of Old Man's War. It's really weird how much I remember.

Also starting something called The Space Merchants. Don't know anything about it, picked it up at a used book sale, think the original copyright was back in '81.

Falldog

Donator
... Half way through Old Man's War. Will share some thoughts later.

But first, The Space Merchants. The book originally came out in the early 50's. It shows both in the dialog and fun, old-school sci-fi concepts. However the version I'm reading was amended in 2011 with more "contemporary" references.

At first I thought they just fixed some typos, maybe added a bit of extra detail, but it seems that they actually replaced references. At some point, what was originally (presumably) a Sears reference, is now a Walmart reference. This annoys the shit out of me. Not only is it uncalled for at every level but it completely distracts from the context and style of the rest of the novel.

Falldog

Donator
Finished Old Man's War for the second time.

Here's the problem with Scalzi's novels (note - sample size of two), he gives away the gimmick early on. In both Red Shirts and OMW there's a key gimmick that gets revealed and pretty much dealt with in the first third of the book. The latter half is just by the numbers. OMW is particularly bad about this. Once they get to boot camp it's just generic space infantry slush. Characters aren't memorable, action pieces aren't memorable, and there's zero influence of the book's gimmick.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Finished Old Man's War for the second time.

Here's the problem with Scalzi's novels (note - sample size of two), he gives away the gimmick early on. In both Red Shirts and OMW there's a key gimmick that gets revealed and pretty much dealt with in the first third of the book. The latter half is just by the numbers. OMW is particularly bad about this. Once they get to boot camp it's just generic space infantry slush. Characters aren't memorable, action pieces aren't memorable, and there's zero influence of the book's gimmick.
I liked the characters in OMW. The plot wasn't great but it was solid. The pacing was near perfect which is a big deal for me.

Falldog

Donator
I liked the characters in OMW. The plot wasn't great but it was solid. The pacing was near perfect which is a big deal for me.
The characters were all basically the same. One guy literally died and his replacement supporting character might as well have been a clone.

Falldog

Donator
Finished The Space Merchants earlier this week. Not sure what to think of it. It has that weird level of sci-fi and narrative that are equal parts silly and equal parts shockingly insightful 50 years later. It probably would've been a good option for book club.

On a side note, I have dethroned The Commonwealth Saga from the number 1 spot in my forthcoming master ranking.

Falldog

Donator
Reading through the latest Kloos book, 50% of the way through and nothing has happened yet.