The Big Science Fiction Recommendation Thread

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
4.6 rating on audible. The titles alone make me violent:
Points of Impact
Fields of Fire

They're just so...Kloos.
His books are so criminally overrated it makes me angry.

His writing is fine, but his plot and story progression is complete shit.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
If you just want some dumb but entertaining pulp sci-fi, the Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson is fun. It's also free on Kindle Unlimited

Falldog

Donator
Finished the latest Kloos book. Of course, absolutely nothing happens.

Falldog

Donator
Went and picked up physical copies of the Expeditionary Force series. Helps me keep track of what I've read.

Holy crap, these have to be the worst self-published books I've picked up. Is Amazon just printing these on demand? It has to be straight from the epub file. There's a tables of content, they're underlined like hyperlinks, most books don't have chapter names so it's just "Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etcc." and there are no numbers pages in the book. The novella has a cover that's not even the same aspect ratio of the book.

Falldog

Donator
Might as well share this here since it's mainly sci-fi, today's book haul,

Falldog

Donator
Finished Dune.

Thought it started off really strong but ended weakly. Took a downhill turn after Paul heads into the desert.

Falldog

Donator
But do you see why it is #1 even though it wasn't your thing?

Crime and Punishment isn't my thing but I get why it is considered the best.
Not really. Think it's overrated. It starts off fantastic, thought it was gonna be top 5 for sure, the world building, the characters, the tech, all great. But then Paul heads into the desert and starts tripping on Spice and everything takes a down hill turn. The spice magic takes away all suspense despite attempts to walk it back at times for the sake of the specific scene. The characters become flat as interactions become more limited. Paul becomes an arrogant prat reducing the amount you want to root for him. You also lose the mystery and allure of the Fremen and whole of Arrakis. Even the worms are reduced from this mystery threat to a common animal.

Last edited:

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
Has anyone read Ninefox Gambit?
No, but I know the author. The story seemed overly....complex? Maybe dense? Then again, that was just an impression from the blurb I read about it.

Bobobie

The Foundation Series
by Isaac Asimov

in-universe chronological order are:
Prelude to Foundation
Forward the Foundation
Foundation
Foundation and Empire
Second Foundation

Foundation's Edge
Foundation and Earth

The bolded books were the original Foundation Trilogy and Isaac Asimov wrote prequels and sequels to it. Mathematician Hari Seldon spent his life developing a branch of mathematics known as psychohistory it can predict the future, but only on a large scale.
I used to have all of them in Hardcover. I remember these books more than ones I've read just weeks ago. I like how they had the miniaturization of electronics as some far future thing rather than something that was going to happen in the very near future.

Oops, had no idea this was bumped old thread. :(

Last edited:

Falldog

Donator
I'm throwing Kloos a bone. At least we can write interesting battle scenes, even if everything up to and after is meh.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
I'm throwing Kloos a bone. At least we can write interesting battle scenes, even if everything up to and after is meh.
Your list is very good,

as in not tarnished by some very bad hack authors or a specific Heinlein book...