The Big Science Fiction Recommendation Thread

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Sorry, my comment was being too much in the dark side.

Your list covers many of my favorite sci-fi authors. I enjoy books more if I am not required to read them.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Of a "top" scifi books list. I dunno about you, but if I wrote a list like that, I wouldn't include bad books.
I think falldog included all the books he has recently read. But yeah, I agree, even though he mentions it at the start, it's a bit misleading.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Nah, that makes sense. Next revision it'll be renamed to "Falldog's Sci-Fi Novel Rankings"

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
Just have a Shit Tier for the Kloos, Cline, and Scalzi entries. Or at least some of them.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Sanderson's Skyward is out and is getting great reviews. I've seen comparisons to Ender's Game so I imagine I'll like it.

Sanderson's Skyward is out and is getting great reviews. I've seen comparisons to Ender's Game so I imagine I'll like it.
Listened to it a couple months ago, it was good, not as good as the rating on Goodread's suggests. Will continue the series but would be in no rush to get them if they were out already.

Listened to his Legion series as well which worked well as a collection of 3 short stories.

Just finished Chasing Shadows (Sekret Machines book 1), enjoyed it and on to the second book.

Falldog

Donator
Finished Andromeda Strain.

Really like it, lots of great build up. Then it just sort of ends.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Listened to it a couple months ago, it was good, not as good as the rating on Goodread's suggests. Will continue the series but would be in no rush to get them if they were out already.
Maybe it was my expectations, but I find it to be garbage so far. Really disappointed in Sanderson and have lost complete faith in ratings.

Maybe it was my expectations, but I find it to be garbage so far. Really disappointed in Sanderson and have lost complete faith in ratings.
Just felt like it was in no rush to get anywhere, delay for no other reason to prolong the story for future books.

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
Finished Andromeda Strain.

Really like it, lots of great build up. Then it just sort of ends.
I remember feeling that way about some of Crichton's earlier works and his contemporaries at the time. But a lot of movies from that late 60s/early 70s era also feel like they just end. Like they'll go from climax to crane shot in two minutes. So was that just the style or did one inspire the other? #ChickenEgg

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Just felt like it was in no rush to get anywhere, delay for no other reason to prolong the story for future books.
It improved enough that I could finish it. With Sanderson, you'd expect something imaginative especially given it was his first sci-fi novel but that certainly wasn't the case.

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
I'm into the YA steampunk novel Leviathan after bailing on The United States Of Japan for bad writing. So far, Leviathan is good.

Hm. I might have to snag the ebook for the illustrations.

Leviathan is a 2009 novel written by Scott Westerfeld and illustrated by Keith Thompson. First of a trilogy set in alternative version of World War I, it has Central Powers (known in-universe as "Clankers") using mechanized war machines opposed by Entente Powers (as "Darwinists") who fabricate living creatures genetically. The central protagonists are Aleksander, son of Archduke Franz Ferdinand; and Deryn, a Scottish girl with dreams of joining the British Air Service with her brother. The sequels are Behemoth and Goliath.[1]

The book was named the Best Young Adult Novel by the Aurealis Award in 2009,[2] Locus in 2010, and Mir Fantastiki in 2011.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I'm into the YA steampunk novel Leviathan after bailing on The United States Of Japan for bad writing. So far, Leviathan is good.

Hm. I might have to snag the ebook for the illustrations.

Leviathan is a 2009 novel written by Scott Westerfeld and illustrated by Keith Thompson. First of a trilogy set in alternative version of World War I, it has Central Powers (known in-universe as "Clankers") using mechanized war machines opposed by Entente Powers (as "Darwinists") who fabricate living creatures genetically. The central protagonists are Aleksander, son of Archduke Franz Ferdinand; and Deryn, a Scottish girl with dreams of joining the British Air Service with her brother. The sequels are Behemoth and Goliath.[1]

The book was named the Best Young Adult Novel by the Aurealis Award in 2009,[2] Locus in 2010, and Mir Fantastiki in 2011.
If you like steampunk, Cherie Priest's "The Clockwork Century" series is excellent.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/43930-the-clockwork-century

Falldog

Donator
So, Singularity Trap by Dennis E Taylor, the guy who did the Bobiverse series, is really good. Same narrator too.