Amazon The Boys Starring Karl Urban

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
Karl Urban Joins The Cast Of Amazon’s The Boys

Amazon’s adaptation of Garth Ennis’ The Boys continues to stack fantastic actors in their ultra-violent superhero show.
Karl Urban (Dredd, Star Trek) has now joined the cast, after landing the starring role in Amazon Studios’ superhero drama, The Boys. Physically imposing and incredibly violent, “The Boys” are a group of vigilantes who set out to take down corrupt superheroes with extreme prejudice in a world where heroes embrace the darker side of massive celebrity and fame.

Their leader and the one responsible for bringing “The Boys” together, Butcher, is more than happy to blackmail, brutalize, and murder if it achieves his goals. In the series, Billy Butcher is described as mysterious and brutal with a personal but secret agenda. He approaches a recruit, Hughie, claiming to be a shadowy government operative. Butcher capitalizes on Hughie’s rage over his girlfriend Robin’s accidental death at the hands of Superhero and enlists Hughie as part of his plan to bring down the superhero system.

Along with Urban, the series stars Jack Quaid as Hughie, Laz Alonso as Mother’s Milk, Chace Crawford as The Deep, Erin Moriarty as Annie January/Starlight, Antony Starr as The Homelander, Dominique McElligott as Queen Maeve, Jessie T. Usher as A-Train, Nathan Mitchell as Black Noir, and Karen Fukuhara as Female.

The Boys is being developed by Eric Kripke, Evan Goldberg, and Seth Rogen. Goldberg and Evans have found success in adapting another comic book franchise into AMC’s hit series Preacher. The show, Preacher, has garnered critical and fan acclaim since its debut in 2016 and now it will be heading into its third season.

An adaptation of The Boys had previously been in various stages of development at both Columbia and Paramount Pictures. It was finally picked up for a full season order by Amazon on November of 2017. The series is scheduled to start filming in the spring of 2018. The series has a 2019 release date.

Jack Quaid/Hughie

Laz Alonso/Mother's Milk

Karen Fukuhara/The Female

Erin Moriarty/Starlight

Antony Starr/The Homelander

Dominique McElligott/Queen Maeve

Chace Crawford/The Deep

Jessie T. Usher/A-Train

Nathan Mitchell/Black Noir

Saikotic

Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
The Boys is an American comic book series, written by Garth Ennis and co-created, designed and illustrated by Darick Robertson. It was originally published by Wildstorm before moving to Dynamite Entertainment.

The series is set between 2006–2008[1] in a world where superheroes exist. However, most of the superheroes in the series' universe are corrupted by their celebrity status and often engage in reckless behavior, compromising the safety of the world. For this reason, a superpowered CIA squad, known informally as "The Boys", is charged with monitoring the superhero community; the name is Butcher's contribution, a reference from his neighborhood that those in power would send "the boys" to handle anyone causing trouble.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Which is fine when it's not forced.
"We put in this black actor instead of a white one because reasons and feelings." - bad move
Or maybe part of it is that because up until maybe the late 1960s/1970s all black characters were essentially Step and Fetch Its (and even after that they still mostly were) and all women were essentially empty headed love interests or damsels in distress; character archetypes that have become comically uncomfortable, outdated, or boring. So maybe updating things to be more inclusive and open character types to different races/colors/genders makes sense in a world where extra representation is increasingly common place - you know, like the world actually is. Does that make sense? A little?

Or rather, why can't everything go back to paper mache models?!? Why do we need CGI? I'm threatened by anything that isn't on kinoscope!

And did it ever occur to you that maybe some of the gender/race switch has to do with money more than hurt feelings? That studios realize that a more diverse cast can bring in a larger audience than starring - Generic Dark Haired White Guy, Generic Dark Haired White Guy, and ... Generic Dark Haired White Guy.

Last edited:

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
I wanna watch the Herogasm episodes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Your sister's underwear drawer
Decent casting, but Queen Maeve is supposed to be about ten years older.

I never finished THE BOYS. It just dragged on far too long. I think I quit at around issue 52. And as much of a massive Garth Ennis fan I am I felt that this was just trying to out-PREACHER PREACHER, and it failed. Where his work is known for mixing some heart in with the outrageousness THE BOYS is just vicious and nihiistic. And it's so obsessed with gay jokes I had to wonder if Kevin Smith didn't ghost write some of it.

It's a million miles away from Ennis's best work, but if people want hard R-rated superhero shenanigans then I guess it makes sense to do this as a TV series.

Saikotic

Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
Or maybe part of it is that because up until maybe the late 1960s/1970s all black characters were essentially Step and Fetch Its (and even after that they still mostly were) and all women were essentially empty headed love interests or damsels in distress; character archetypes that have become comically uncomfortable, outdated, or boring. So maybe updating things to be more inclusive and open character types to different races/colors/genders makes sense in a world where extra representation is increasingly common place - you know, like the world actually is. Does that make sense? A little?

Or rather, why can't everything go back to paper mache models?!? Why do we need CGI? I'm threatened by anything that isn't on kinoscope!

And did it ever occur to you that maybe some of the gender/race switch has to do with money more than hurt feelings? That studios realize that a more diverse cast can bring in a larger audience than starring - Generic Dark Haired White Guy, Generic Dark Haired White Guy, and ... Generic Dark Haired White Guy.
I've no problem when it makes sense, like Nicky Fury or the last Johnny Storm. It's when a character in say GI Joe goes from some big brooding white dude to a fat Black lesbian instead of oh I dunno, making a new character? That I have issues with.

Steve McQueen

heartless fuck
May 23, 2006
New York
Don't say that. Liddy will piss himself in anger.
Liddy's chastising of 'Baggers for not liking characters who are white in the book/comic being made black for the movie wore out its welcome as a comic device about three years ago, so he can piss away.

Saikotic

Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
Not sure about the host's face but nice tits.

Saikotic

Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
I do not. Is it really dark and edgy because we need that even less than superheroes?
Garth Ennis, the writer of the comic this is based on (as well as Preacher), HATES superhero comics. So The Boys is about a group of "regular" people who take down the heroes, who are all sex-crazed, elitist perverts.