The Dark and Dirty History of the NWA

Lord Zero

While it's not an article on the history of the NWA, this article on labor exploitation in wrestling covers the NWA's history in some depth and made me realize that, frighteningly, the NWA in its heyday was even more ruthless than Vince McMahon, if you can imagine that. It was a legit cartel and did some extremely sleazy, even illegal shit. Anyone who prattles on about how great the territory days were can go eat a dick. Normally I don't care for Salon articles, but this one is fascinating, well-researched, and absolutely recommended. Keep in mind, though, that this is a Salon article; there is much complaining about deregulation, much complaining about a lack of federal oversight of the wrestling industry, some unnecessary swipes at Republicans, it loses its focus towards the end, and it goes on for too long. Other than that, it's a decent article with a great first half.

Last edited:

Mags

A.K.A. Chad
Donator
But what about Ice Cube?

steve500

They may have been ruthless, but boy did they know how to keep their flights on time.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
They may have been ruthless, but boy did they know how to keep their flights on time.
...and kept their stewardesses young and in shape.

VMS

Seriously, what's next: regulation of stunt men in the movie business? Because that's what wrestlers are: stunt men who also (usually badly) act.

So, wrestling should he regulated as a sport? WHY? What's the fucking point of regulating a fixed fight, an ADMITTED fixed fight, as a sport?

Retards.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Seriously, what's next: regulation of stunt men in the movie business? Because that's what wrestlers are: stunt men who also (usually badly) act.

So, wrestling should he regulated as a sport? WHY? What's the fucking point of regulating a fixed fight, an ADMITTED fixed fight, as a sport?

Retards.
Without regulation accidents happen.

Lord Zero

Retards.
Even if wrestling should be regulated and licensed (which it shouldn't), why the fuck would wrestling timekeepers need to be licensed? It wouldn't even matter because, as the article itself said, the state athletic commissions (who would most likely be in charge of actually enforcing the federal regulations, unless they created a Federal Board of Wrestling) were/are corrupt.

VMS

Even if wrestling should be regulated and licensed (which it shouldn't), why the fuck would wrestling timekeepers need to be licensed? It wouldn't even matter because, as the article itself said, the state athletic commissions (who would most likely be in charge of actually enforcing the federal regulations, unless they created a Federal Board of Wrestling) were/are corrupt.
More state regulation = more gooder, LZ. Obviously.

Lord Zero

More state regulation = more gooder, LZ. Obviously.
It is more gooder... for big wrestling. By the way, Hulk Hogan is a piece of shit. We already knew that, but the whole thing with Hogan ratting out Piper and Ventura for trying to start a union (which I first learned from Ari Shaffir's podcast) adds a whole new dimension to his cuntitude.

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Because when it's regulated, you need licence which cost money, inspecters, a board of people that need to get paid to make rules, so on and so forth.

Atomic Fireball

Donator
I'm troubled by the lack of diversity in professional wrestling. African-Americans are much better represented in basketball.

Foggy

I'm wasting my life here
Donator
It is more gooder... for big wrestling. By the way, Hulk Hogan is a piece of shit. We already knew that, but the whole thing with Hogan ratting out Piper and Ventura for trying to start a union (which I first learned from Ari Shaffir's podcast) adds a whole new dimension to his cuntitude.
That's why wrestling needs at least two big companies battling. How many guys went back and forth between WWF and WCW (ECW too), better-dealing their employers in one way or another?

For some guys, once you're released by WWE, it's over for ya.

Biff Hardslab

I have the t-shirt
Anyone who prattles on about how great the territory days were can go eat a dick.
I'll take mine cooked well with a side of fries. The demise of the territories is why we have the shit product to watch that we have today. With the territories, a wrestler was able to make a name for himself on his own before making it to the main stage and had a lot longer to do it. He could learn from veteran wrestlers in the territory he was working and get different perspectives on the business instead of being force fed one way. By the time he made it to the WWF, people knew who he was and he didn't have to try to get a lame manufactured gimmick over. The WWF had established stars coming in that people had either seen on TV or read about in the Apter magazines. Now we have "Who the fuck is this guy?" wrestlers like Adam Rose, Tyler Breeze, and Curtis Axel that flop on the main roster and get shoved down to filler matches.

Lord Zero

I'll take mine cooked well with a side of fries. The demise of the territories is why we have the shit product to watch that we have today. With the territories, a wrestler was able to make a name for himself on his own before making it to the main stage and had a lot longer to do it. He could learn from veteran wrestlers in the territory he was working and get different perspectives on the business instead of being force fed one way. By the time he made it to the WWF, people knew who he was and he didn't have to try to get a lame manufactured gimmick over. The WWF had established stars coming in that people had either seen on TV or read about in the Apter magazines. Now we have "Who the fuck is this guy?" wrestlers like Adam Rose, Tyler Breeze, and Curtis Axel that flop on the main roster and get shoved down to filler matches.
The territory system was doomed after the introduction of cable TV. The Internet would've killed whatever was left of it.

Foggy

I'm wasting my life here
Donator
The Internet would've killed whatever was left of it.
I think in wrestling's case, the internet can only help smaller companies. Companies like ROH might've gone bust if not for it.

Lord Zero

I think in wrestling's case, the internet can only help smaller companies. Companies like ROH might've gone bust if not for it.
Smaller companies, yes. Actual territories, no. Wrestlers used to basically take angles on tour; they would go from territory to territory running the exact same angle. Once that got out, that would've been the end of it. The Internet would have (and did, in ECW's case) done way more for outlaw promotions than it would have for the NWA.

Foggy

I'm wasting my life here
Donator
Smaller companies, yes. Actual territories, no. Wrestlers used to basically take angles on tour; they would go from territory to territory running the exact same angle. Once that got out, that would've been the end of it. The Internet would have (and did, in ECW's case) done way more for outlaw promotions than it would have for the NWA.
Well, can we go back to having companies like ECW? If someone could actually provide a true alternative to WWE in the US (which TNA failed at doing because they're stupid) it'd be an instant hit. All you'd have to do is do better than Raw, which can't be hard.