Cineverse THE DARK UNIVERSE -DU- formerly known as the UMCU - Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Disney/Marvel have brilliantly exploited their intellectual property - but guess what - in the light of day comic books are not high literature.

However their IP benefits from an overarching cohesion, with interlocking storylines that make the sum greater than the parts.

Consider the Universal horror movies from the 30's 40's 50's:

These properties are mostly in the public domain, but Universal owns the original cinematic interpretations. What if they rebooted them in their original incarnations, but with modern-day sex, violence and modern sensibilities?

Frankenstein's Monster, Wolf Man, Mummy, Invisible Man, Gill Man, Dr. Jekyll, Phantom of the Opera, Hunchback could be faithfully recreated with makeup/CGI. Dracula would require someone who could do Karloff.

How to Make a Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

So Universal is going forward with their plans of making a Cinematic Universe for their once classic movie monsters.

And, apparently, they aren't even going to try to make them into horror films, instead opting for "action-adventure," perhaps taking a cue from the recent Dracula Untold (which did make a total of over $203 million worldwide on a budget of $70 million, although domestically it didn't do as good).

If we add up all the Universal monsters (actual monsters, not just human killers), however, we get a somewhat short list:

·Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
·Dracula
·Frankenstein's monster (and the Bride, if we can count her, too)
·The Mummy
·The Invisible Man
·The Wolf Man
·Creature from the Black Lagoon

It certainly seems enough for a Cinematic Universe, but how do you tie in all those diverse elements together and make it all work? Here are some suggestions:

1. Use more obscure characters. There have been numerous adaptations of Frankenstein and numerous actors playing both Victor Frankenstein (and Victoria Frankenstein) and the Monster. However, I haven't seen one another actor even portray Dr Septimus Pretorius, one of the main villains from Bride of Frankenstein. While Dr. Frankenstein may be the originator of modern "Mad Scientist" trope, it was Dr. Pretorius who perfected it with his dark humor. Use more obscure characters like him or the Man Made Monster.

2. Remake old monster movies that had never been remade. Like the last point on the list, there are plenty of remakes of Frankenstein and Dracula. Heck, there was even a remake of The Wolf Man in 2010, but nobody has ever remade movies like The Mad Ghoul, Captive Wild Woman, or any of the numerous Edgar Allen Poe adaptations (the closest has been 2012's The Raven). Probably part of this is due to the fact that those old movies were often cheesy in retrospect and employed science that audiences nowadays would never believe — but that shouldn't stop Universal from trying to adapt them into the modern day and updating them for today's audiences.

3. Have something subtle that ties the movies together. Aside from Iron Man and Iron Man 2, the first phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe was pretty separate from one another up until The Avengers. But they did find a way to tie them all together - sometimes with cameos (Tony Stark showing up for a minute in The Incredible Hulk) or sometimes with an organizations (S.H.I.E.L.D. which shows up in every phase one movie except for Incredible Hulk). The same thing can be employed for the Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe. Here are some suggestions for things that can tie the movies together:

·The Harker Group: a group dedicated to finding and eliminating vampires, werewolves, et cetera.

·The M. Waldman Society for Scientific Advancement: a think tank dedicated to the advancement of science at any cost.

·The Thousand Faces: a mysterious person who can disguise himself as other people, often showing up to steal some bit of information before disappearing.

So there we go. Some suggestions for making the Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe.
http://observationdeck.io9.com/how-to-make-a-universal-monsters-cinematic-universe-1659398269

I'd pay eight bucks to see this

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
Dracula Unchained looked horrible and this sounds stupid. There's a reason Van Helsing sucked. Monsters are monsters because they're monsters, they're not low rent action-adventure heroes in low rent Underworld rip offs.

any of the numerous Edgar Allen Poe adaptations (the closest has been 2012's The Raven)
But The Raven wasn't a remake of The Raven. It was someone using Poe's stories to kill people like the villain in some horrible 1980's movie.

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
Please just stop all this shit before it starts. I don't need 80 comic book movies a year and I definitely don't need another goddamn Frankenstein remake

LiddyRules

Please just stop all this shit before it starts. I don't need 80 comic book movies a year and I definitely don't need another goddamn Frankenstein remake
But Frankenstein knows how to parkour this time!

Well, basically Vlad (who becomes Dracula) is the good guy. He was taken from his home as a child by the Turks (the bad guys) for reasons not entirely explored. Under Turkish rule, Vladdy develops a bit of a reputation for impaling innocents, but, as we later find out, he only did that so other people would comply willingly and not have to be killed. Eventually, V the I was allowed to return home and rule in peace, which he does until the original vampire in some cave kills a few Turkish scouts. The Turkish leader gets super pissed and blames Vlad, and tells him he has to give them 1000 kids (including his own son) as tribute or face war. Vlad blows the deal up, heads to the cave, gets some super vampire juice, and gains some super powers. The OG fanger tells Vlad that if he doesn't drink any blood for 3 days it won't be permanent. Vlad then literally fights the entire Turkish army by himself and whoops some ass, but the Turks end up killing his wife. He holds his wife as she's dying, and (of course) she makes him drink her blood to protect the rest of the people. He does, becomes Dracula, wipes out the Turks, and then he kills himself by standing in the sun because he doesn't want to be a monster.

LiddyRules

Well, basically Vlad (who becomes Dracula) is the good guy. He was taken from his home as a child by the Turks (the bad guys) for reasons not entirely explored. Under Turkish rule, Vladdy develops a bit of a reputation for impaling innocents, but, as we later find out, he only did that so other people would comply willingly and not have to be killed. Eventually, V the I was allowed to return home and rule in peace, which he does until the original vampire in some cave kills a few Turkish scouts. The Turkish leader gets super pissed and blames Vlad, and tells him he has to give them 1000 kids (including his own son) as tribute or face war. Vlad blows the deal up, heads to the cave, gets some super vampire juice, and gains some super powers. The OG fanger tells Vlad that if he doesn't drink any blood for 3 days it won't be permanent. Vlad then literally fights the entire Turkish army by himself and whoops some ass, but the Turks end up killing his wife. He holds his wife as she's dying, and (of course) she makes him drink her blood to protect the rest of the people. He does, becomes Dracula, wipes out the Turks, and then he kills himself by standing in the sun because he doesn't want to be a monster.
I meant what made it a bad movie. If I wanted to know the plot...I could have looked on Wikipedia!

I meant what made it a bad movie. If I wanted to know the plot...I could have looked on Wikipedia!
The plot is what made it a bad movie, but I'll add some more.

1) Dracula should never be the good guy.
2) Luke Evans should never be the star.
3) Being a vampire doesn't mean you should be able to take on 1,000,000 guys at one time and win like it's nothing.
4) Seriously, Vlad the Impaler is the good guy.
5) It looked like shit.

I do like Sarah Gadon though. She's easy on the eyes.

LiddyRules

The plot is what made it a bad movie, but I'll add some more.

1) Dracula should never be the good guy.
2) Luke Evans should never be the star.
3) Being a vampire doesn't mean you should be able to take on 1,000,000 guys at one time and win like it's nothing.
4) Seriously, Vlad the Impaler is the good guy.
5) It looked like shit.

I do like Sarah Gadon though. She's easy on the eyes.
Better or worse than Van Helsing?

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Wasn't there a 70's cartoon that tried to turn Universal monsters into superheroes? I remember something with Frankenstein, Dracula and the Wolfman.

Just watch Hammer studio's versions of the characters. I can guarantee they will more enjoyable than Universal attempting to reboot the characters.

Atomic Fireball

Donator
OK DreamWorks CGI cartoon with Frankenberry, Count Chockula aned Booberry. With a Shek crossover. License to print money.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Universal Eyes Scarlett Johansson To Star In “Creature From The Black Lagoon”

Scarlett Johansson is Universal’s top choice to star in the CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON remake, and is being courted for the lead role. The film will be a remake of Jack Arnold’s 1954 sci-fi horror classic that set the tone for many monster movies that would follow. The story depicted a group of scientists that discover a dangerous pre-historic creature that is part human and part fish while on an expedition in the amazon. Julia Adams was the famed female lead of the original film, in a role that has been influential to female horror stars and scream queens since.

Universal is currently in the process of reviving their landmark monster properties from the 1930’s through the 50’s. It has been speculated that the 2013 film Dracula Untold hasstarted a new franchise, which will possibly lead to a shared universe between the famous monsters. In 2014, Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan were hired by the studio to structure the universe. Although it is currently unclear which films will be included in the universe, it has been revealed that the 2010 film The Wolfman would not be a part of the series. The studio currently has a remake of The Mummy in the works, which is reportedly set in modern day. A shared monster universe is not new to the studio, as they teamed up the characters in the 40’s films Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman, House Of Frankenstein, House Of Dracula, and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. The Creature has not yet been a part of a shared monster universe for the studio.

The original Creature From The Black Lagoon was made during the sci-fi boom of the 1950’s, and was a major hit that revived horror for Universal, after being dormant for a number of years. The film was also one of the final 3D releases during the time, which saw a surge in popularity of the new technology. Two sequels were made to the film.

A remake has technically been on the slate since 1982, with original director Jack Arnold in talks to return. The project was ultimately scrapped, with John Carpenter, Gary Ross and Breck Eisner and Guillermo Del Toro each developing separate versions of the project over the next two decades.

The current remake is taking shape at Universal, with Larger Than Life and Strike Entertainment producing. Gary Ross, Robin Bissell, Marc Abraham and Eric Newman will produce, with a screenplay by Jeff Blitz, Gary Ross, Tedi Sarafian and Paul Schering. Leslie Urdang, Jeff Kirschenbaum and Jay Polidoro will oversee development for the studio.

Scarlett Johansson has recently starred in a number of Marvel films as the character Black Widow, and stars in the upcoming entry Avengers: Age Of Ultron, which bows on May 4th. She will next voice the character Kaa in the upcoming adaptation of The Jungle Book.

http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-ex...on-to-star-in-creature-from-the-black-lagoon/

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Universal Monsters Reboot to Explore 'Family Identity'
Share.
"This is not a heightened world."
By Alex Osborn Universal Pictures has shared new details on its plans for its classic monsters franchise, confirming that its upcoming slate of films will feature a shared universe that explore themes of family and personal identity.

Screenwriters Alex Kurtzman (Transformers) and Chris Morgan (Furious 7) are on board to reboot the classic monsters movies for the modern era, with The Mummy set to begin filming sometime next year. In an interview with Variety, the pair discussed their plans for the future of the franchise.

According to Morgan, they'll be "exploring issues of family identity and questions of, 'Where do I belong in the world?'" He also noted they're not looking to create a "heightened world," as he believes moviegoers are ready for something different after seeing so many comic book films.

"Heroes tend to be perfect, but most people in an audience aren’t ever going to know what it’s like to be the smartest, strongest or fastest person alive," Morgan explained. "But there’s a darkness inside everybody. And everyone wants to be able to turn a curse into empowerment. The monsters have been in the shadows, and now it’s time to bring them out into the light."

After kicking things off with The Mummy, the studio plans to reboot Dracula and Van Helsing, as well as The Bride of Frankenstein and The Wolfman. "We’re creating a mythology, so we’re looking at this canon and thinking, 'What are the rules? What can we break and what are the ones that are untouchable?" Kurtzman said.

The Mummy, which is set to open in theaters on March 24, 2017, will will blend genres, but maintain a horror feel. There's also a good chance the movie will feature a female monster.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11...nt page)&utm_content=26&utm_campaign=Blogroll