Cineverse THE DARK UNIVERSE -DU- formerly known as the UMCU - Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I'm sure this will end well.

Problem with the classics is that they aren't as frightening as they were back in the day. Zombies aren't even scary anymore, unless you make them hybrid chemical infected ,fast running type.
With good writing/direction, you could make it creepy but that's it. People are the new scary.
Loved the remake of Wolfman, though. Great effects

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I think a lot of people or even most people said the same thing when they announced the UMCUDU.

The horror approach won’t work either. It’s not like they hadn’t tried that (The Wolfman, Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein) The main problem is simply that nobody gives a fuck about these properties anymore. And maybe that was part of Jay’s point. There is limited box office potential so you may as well not spend a lot of money on it. But I think he feels there’s still something to be done retelling the same stories.

I think the only way to make these things work is to take the characters in totally new directions, like Shape of Water did with Creature from the Black Lagoon, or Interview with the Vampire and Twilight did with Dracula and the Wolfman. In that sense the Dark Universe was a good idea - at least they were trying something different. It was just a good idea poorly executed.

Last edited:

LiddyRules

I think a lot of people or even most people said the same thing when they announced the UMCUDU.

The horror approach won’t work either. It’s not like they hadn’t tried that (The Wolfman, Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein) The main problem is simply that nobody gives a fuck about these properties anymore. And maybe that was part of Jay’s point. There is limited box office potential so you may as well not spend a lot of money on it. But I think he feels there’s still something to be done retelling the same stories.

I think the only way to make these things work is to take the characters in totally new directions, like Shape of Water did with Creature from the Black Lagoon, or Interview with the Vampire and Twilight did with Dracula and the Wolfman. In that sense the Dark Universe was a good idea - at least they were trying something different. It was just a good idea poorly executed.
The Invisible Co-Ed! He gets to look at tits!

LiddyRules

The think as far as the horror idea goes, it depends what you consider horror. The Invisible Man wasn't just some guy who lurked in corners and jumped out and said boo, like he was Spagett. The horrors of Frankenstein, Invisible Man, and Dr. Jeckyll (which I think could probably be done well) was the idea of losing control of science; playing God and being destroyed because of it - first psychologically, then physically. The other characters are a bit different (Dracula - the perils of immortality, Phantom of the Opera - obsessive love, The Wolfman - ignoring one's past/folklore, The Mummy - racism), but that's a common core for most of them. I think it could be used for a decent psychological horror, but not the action franchise they wanted Dracula Unchained or The Mummy (easily the least interesting of the classic monsters) to be.

I think a big problem with MS Frankenstein (other than it clearly being a response to Coppola's Dracky) and The Wolfman was that they focused more on drama than on horror, psychological or otherwise.

Pigdango

Donator
Yes, but this time he's in college bro!

I've never seen the Chevy Chase Invisible Man movie, but I remember its cover.
I really liked the Chevy Chase movie. Hollow Man sucked, but this scene was awesome:

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Make Frankenstein like The VVitch and you can really make it creepy. I didn't care for that movie that much honestly however it really has stuck with me. I have to revisit it again.

Pigdango

Donator
The think as far as the horror idea goes, it depends what you consider horror. The Invisible Man wasn't just some guy who lurked in corners and jumped out and said boo, like he was Spagett. The horrors of Frankenstein, Invisible Man, and Dr. Jeckyll (which I think could probably be done well) was the idea of losing control of science; playing God and being destroyed because of it - first psychologically, then physically. The other characters are a bit different (Dracula - the perils of immortality, Phantom of the Opera - obsessive love, The Wolfman - ignoring one's past/folklore, The Mummy - racism), but that's a common core for most of them. I think it could be used for a decent psychological horror, but not the action franchise they wanted Dracula Unchained or The Mummy (easily the least interesting of the classic monsters) to be.

I think a big problem with MS Frankenstein (other than it clearly being a response to Coppola's Dracky) and The Wolfman was that they focused more on drama than on horror, psychological or otherwise.
I think those themes worked back in the day, but nobody cares about that shit anymore. Did those themes resonate with people in Prometheus or Covfefe? No. Most people would say they bogged the movies down. If you and Flash want to blame me and comic book movies for that - fine, I guess. But I think what Science Fiction/Horror needs to do is find new themes - new things to "warn" people about. Or make them period pieces with a new "White Man Bad" take like Del Toro did with his version of Creature.

LiddyRules

I think those themes worked back in the day, but nobody cares about that shit anymore. Did those themes resonate with people in Prometheus or Covfefe? No. Most people would say they bogged the movies down. If you and Flash want to blame me and comic book movies for that - fine, I guess. But I think what Science Fiction/Horror needs to do is find new themes - new things to "warn" people about. Or make them period pieces with a new "White Man Bad" take like Del Toro did with his version of Creature.
I think there is a way that could work though. Maybe not the science angle, but the loss of control of oneself is perhaps the greatest fear I can think of. Particularly if it's your own fault, however unintentionally, that lead you to evolve into something different and horrible.

I'm not going to rail against comic books for that since that's the basis behind a lot of great villains.

So a lot of it has to do with identifying what the fear is and updating it, and I think science monsters work best for that. Because Dracula is silly.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

I have an idea, and I know it's crazy. But what if....and stay with me here......they made something new? You know, something that isn't any of these things. Like a brand new, original monster.

I know, I'm making the crazy words again.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
I have an idea, and I know it's crazy. But what if....and stay with me here......they made something new? You know, something that isn't any of these things. Like a brand new, original monster.

I like where you're going with that. But let's say, just to play devil's advocate, instead of a new, original monster, we do more vampires?

LiddyRules

Yeah but they tried that with Get Out and A Quiet Place, and we saw what happened there.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
I'm good with this. She's a really good actor who seems to choose smart roles.
I bet Hendricks fans are making jokes about how her love interests still can't be seen.