The Day XM Lied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurto2021

Certified Pest
Nov 28, 2004
http://www.fool.com/investing/high-growth/2007/06/15/the-day-xm-lied.aspx
As promised, the controversial Opie & Anthony radio show hit the satellite-radio airwaves this morning. XM Satellite Radio (Nasdaq: XMSR) came through in bringing back the randy talk-show stars after they served a 30-day suspension.

No lies, yet.

With its potential merger to Sirius (Nasdaq: SIRI) drawing regulator scrutiny, the most common theory is that XM buckled under pressure when it silenced the duo in the first place. The satellite-radio pioneer, and -- for now -- market-share leader, decided to show a terrestrial streak in slapping the wrists of its original stars after some harsh on-air comments last month.

No lies, yet.

However, I couldn't believe what I was hearing as I tuned in this morning. Anthony Cumia, Gregg "Opie" Hughes, and their comedian sidekick Jim Norton seemed to go out of their way to try to convince the public that their show will remain unshackled. After several meetings with XM's top brass, the trio proclaimed that it would be "business as usual," that the show would remain "uncensored," and that XM would stand by them if some decided that the lines get crossed again.

I think those are lies. All lies.

See, the show will cross the line again. What part of "shock jock" did XM not understand when it hired a duo that got booted off terrestrial radio a couple of years ago? And if XM really told Opie and Anthony that it would support the right of the explicit-language hosts to freely speak their minds, then XM just caught itself in a lie.

See, XM didn't take the show off the air for last month's comments about violent sexual assault acts against notable female leaders. XM probably did it because the eventual apology wasn't being offered up seriously.

If you believe that, then XM should give its executives a 30-day suspension because then they didn't take the suspension seriously. If XM would stand by Opie and Anthony if the same incident took place today -- and you know they're going to be baited, by fans and non-fans alike -- then the suspension was as genuine as a double-headed coin. If XM would act in the same way, then the show is obviously not going to be uncensored in its more shackled future. Either way, there's a fib in there.

Pick a lie -- any lie -- but stick to it, XM. Even with O&A back on the air, it still feels as though XM slapped on the Fonzie jacket, revved its motorcycle up, and flew over the shark tank, only to land neck-deep in a pool of irrelevance.

blueribbie

registered dick hole
Jun 16, 2006
they're back. I think it's time for everyone to move on and support and enjoy the show.
:clap::clap::clap:

That was a great fuckin' show today. Let's all just move forward and enjoy the funny- and Ant's George Burns impressions.

BeersOnTheBoat

Ex-New Yorker (Thank God!)
Mar 30, 2005
None of your business
You're absolutely right. I think you should go out buy another XM, then call customer service again, cancel it again, break that one in front of the XM studio, start 5 more threats on how The Man is screwing us...again, go to more rallies to save the job of millioaires who don't even know you, while life moves on

Shaggz

Slaying Zombies
Jan 26, 2005
Kentucky
You're absolutely right. I think you should go out buy another XM, then call customer service again, cancel it again, break that one in front of the XM studio, start 5 more threats on how The Man is screwing us...again, go to more rallies to save the job of millioaires who don't even know you, while life moves on
That is the kind of attitude that ruins shows. When something you're passionate about gets in trouble, it's people like you who don't step up and defend the thing you love, then whatever it was you loved just goes away.
What does them being millionaires and not personally knowing me have anything to do with it?
They make me laugh on a daily basis and brighten up my day, that is all I expect from them. If they get in trouble, I, and many others will be there to back them up.
So you sir, can go shit in your hat.

BeersOnTheBoat

Ex-New Yorker (Thank God!)
Mar 30, 2005
None of your business
.....love the quotes from the show that are used ad nausium here. A virtuial desert of creativity.

Its a radio show. It isn't life.

Why would shit in my hat? Oh, yeah....line from the Sporanos from 6 years ago that Jimmy used 2 years ago. Very creative. I am truly wounded and offended.

patty's wig

Dec 9, 2004
.....love the quotes from the show that are used ad nausium here. A virtuial desert of creativity.

Its a radio show. It isn't life.

Why would shit in my hat? Oh, yeah....line from the Sporanos from 6 years ago that Jimmy used 2 years ago. Very creative. I am truly wounded and offended.

That's funny. As I was scrolling down the page I thought the exact same thing about the previous post. I didn't care about what he wrote but "the shit in your hat comment" bothered me for some reason as well. I guess after reading 20 consecutive posts that have 2 show lines each in them, that could happen.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
my mother has been telling me to go shit in my hat for 30+ years

chewonmysac

I paid the extra two Bucks
Jul 19, 2003
Martinsburg WV for now

Well said.

Mar 15, 2004
New Jersey
I'm very disappointed in XM for what they did, but they have Ron and Fez and O&A. So what am I supposed to do? I'm lucky enough to live in the one of the O&A FM markets, but suppose you're one of the majority of people who aren't near one of their markets? Those people depend on XM 100% to catch the show.

I'm mad but there's nothing I can do. KROCK flipped formats and fucked me by taking away Ron and Fez on Free FM too. Now I'm stuck with XM until it blows up or they kill their whole talk format.

B

BlindWes

they're back. I think it's time for everyone to move on and support and enjoy the show.
Absolutely.

I'll admit, my fear is that if enough of the unsubscribed don't return, XM will be able to use that as a reason not to renew the boys' contract when it comes up, citing a drop in popularity...WE all know that would be bullshit, true...But, those who make the financial decisions on whether or not to renew them, or to offer them more or less money, might see it as a convenient excuse to drop them.

Granted, if the merger goes through, Mel will probably drop them anyway, but that's all the more reason to keep writing to the FCC, our senators and reps, the DOJ, and anyone else who matters to make sure it doesn't. Frankly (sorry to rant), other than the NFL, Sirius doesn't have anything I want. My in-laws get Sirius music channels on Dish Network, and they suck massive cocks compared to XM's, so I definitely don't want those.

Just my 2 cents.

sniper

Front, and to the right...
Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
Oct 13, 2004
Masshole
well, this thread's over...

Status
Not open for further replies.