The Decemberists...anyone like them?

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
Jul 29, 2005
Cupcake Capital, USA
The Decemberists are one of my favorite bands, second only to Tool.
I'm not really sure how I would describe them, it's kind of folky sounding. Great lyrics (listen to the words maaaannnnnnn).

If anyone's interested in checking them out I would suggest:
Yankee Bayonet
The Mariner's Revenge Song
A Cautionary Song
O, Valencia

They're on tour right now: www.decemberists.com

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
Yes.

16 Military Wives is a great song.

The new albums is good too.

Bonnaroo is not in Michigan. But they did play in Michigan last october at some club in Pontiac.

guitargod2112

Feb 15, 2006
Yeah, I heard 16 Military Wives on XM and I loved it. I think The Crane Wife is one of the best albums to come out in the last decade. The Island is my fav on there. But Shankhill Butchers is haunting and different. Very talented song writers. And we already talked about this, didn't we krisko?

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
Jul 29, 2005
Cupcake Capital, USA
Yes.

16 Military Wives is a great song.

The new albums is good too.

Bonnaroo is not in Michigan. But they did play in Michigan last october at some club in Pontiac.
i know :( i was studying for a semester in London when they were in Michigan and they'll be in London while i'm in Michigan...pretty shitty.

Yeah, I heard 16 Military Wives on XM and I loved it. I think The Crane Wife is one of the best albums to come out in the last decade. The Island is my fav on there. But Shankhill Butchers is haunting and different. Very talented song writers. And we already talked about this, didn't we krisko?
yes we did! i was wondering if anyone else liked them. i've not met many decemberist fans. The only song I've heard on XM was 16 military wives, nothing else. It's too bad they don't get more play, but I guess that's also the appeal....

robertkeys

there is a lot of gash walking around today
Dec 3, 2004
they are good and they are from the town in which i live.

atxklown

Will you do me a Kindness
Jan 26, 2004
Austin TX
I caught part of them at Austin City Limits Festival, mostly for 16 Military Wives, but also waiting for Dylan to headline the night and they were the band before. It really is a distinctive taste in music to enjoy them. I didn't catch on but the people grooving beside me enjoyed them.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
We need our own indie music thread for us indie fags.

Vyce

Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
I, also, am a Tool fan. Maynard may, literally, be my favorite music artist of all time.

Although........I have to be honest, I was severely disappointed in the last album.

The Godfather

Spark it up for The Godfather and say!!!!!
May 9, 2007
Weren't these the guys who tried fucking with Stephen Colbert?

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
Jul 29, 2005
Cupcake Capital, USA
Weren't these the guys who tried fucking with Stephen Colbert?
yes, they had the guitarmageddon or whatever the hell they were calling it.

if anyone is familiar with the show Weeds The Decemberists have recorded their version of the opening to the show. i'm not sure when it airs or if it has already but i'm excited to hear what they've done with it.

I, also, am a Tool fan. Maynard may, literally, be my favorite music artist of all time.

Although........I have to be honest, I was severely disappointed in the last album.
I dunno. I never really had high expectations. Every Tool album I start out disliking or disappointed and I end up loving it. maybe it's cause they make one every ten years. There are low spots indeed. But overall I liked it. I think A Perfect Circle though somehow became Maynard's main gig. Which is fine with me for some reason. Seems like he's more expressive and creative in APC.

Vyce

Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
Half of 10,000 Days was awesome, the other half felt incomplete or just ridiculous. There's experimental, and there's just masturbating musically, and there was a bit too much of the latter.

APC is supposedly done, though. I wish that wasn't the case, and I do hope that they return for another album.

I'm VERY happy that Maynard has put together a full length Puscifer album, though.

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
Jul 29, 2005
Cupcake Capital, USA
WOW!!! The Decemberists are on tour right now, they do two shows The Long of It and The Short of It. first one are their longer songs second one is the more poppy type of songs. i went to both shows in Chicago and they are seriously put on the best show i've seen. Here's a link to the tour dates, they'll be in NY, Boston, DC, and a few other places. i really recommend going, even if you're not that big a fan you will have a fucking blast. i went by myself to the second show and i still had a GREAT time!!!