The Drowsy Chaperone to Close. The Gimmick casting of Bob Saget did not work.........

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Broadway’s sleepy sweetheart is about to say goodnight for good.
The Drowsy Chaperone, the Canadian musical that went from bachelor-party sketch to Tony Award-winning musical announced yesterday that it would play its final New York performance on Dec. 30.

This means that the show will close after 674 performances, with a touring company still on the road.

Written by Bob Martin, Don McKellar, Lisa Lambert and Greg Morrison, Drowsy began as a wedding present for Martin and his wife, Janet van de Graaf, performed in the back room of the Rivoli in 1998.

It became the surprise hit of the 1999 Fringe and later went on to runs at Theatre Passe Muraille and the Winter Garden before opening in Los Angeles in 2005 and then moving to Broadway in the spring of 2006, where it became the toast of the town.

The show played to capacity audiences for a long time and moved into the profit column, but for the past six months the crowds had stopped coming.

Gimmick casting like placing TV’s Bob Saget in the pivotal role of “Man In Chair” failed to catch on and its last week’s attendance was 39.3 per cent.

Still, in the words of producer Kevin McCollum, “The show was pure joy and we were a hit. To have had both the artistic and financial success realized is the miracle of The Drowsy Chaperone.”

EnwordLips

Nov 13, 2007
what a bullshit article. Blaming Saget's casting? The show probably wouldnt have lasted as long if it werent for him

Razor Roman

Save the USH!
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
Saget barely has been in it at all... they tried bringing him in to boost ticket sales. Honestly, I am a big musical theater fan (no homo) and I couldn't tell what the fuck the show was even about. I think thats what killed it in the long run. Bob Saget is great, but he's not exactly the biggest name out there, especially in terms of Musical Theater... plus the stagehand's strike that put the show out.

It's not like Saget was in the show since the beginning... he was only just brought in... and they didn't say his casting caused the show to fail, just that it wasn't enough to make them sell enough tickets to keep the show going.

Mar 15, 2004
New Jersey
I would rather slam my penis in a car door than attend a Broadway play and/or musical.

Fuck all that noise bitch.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Saget barely has been in it at all... they tried bringing him in to boost ticket sales. Honestly, I am a big musical theater fan (no homo) and I couldn't tell what the fuck the show was even about. I think thats what killed it in the long run. Bob Saget is great, but he's not exactly the biggest name out there, especially in terms of Musical Theater... plus the stagehand's strike that put the show out.

It's not like Saget was in the show since the beginning... he was only just brought in... and they didn't say his casting caused the show to fail, just that it wasn't enough to make them sell enough tickets to keep the show going.
Thanx thats what I meant :)

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
someone explained to me that broadway is really just a real estate scam of sorts in which shows will almost always have a decent level of sales, but its the mass appeal that makes the difference as to just how long something can stay. there is a limited number of shows that can even be eligible to win tony awards, based solely on the size and location of their theaters.

there's 3-5 families that run all of those theaters.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
someone explained to me that broadway is really just a real estate scam of sorts in which shows will almost always have a decent level of sales, but its the mass appeal that makes the difference as to just how long something can stay. there is a limited number of shows that can even be eligible to win tony awards, based solely on the size and location of their theaters.

there's 3-5 families that run all of those theaters.
So its the Joos fault?