The Englishman Who Went Up An Icy Hill And Fell Down An Icy Mountain

Dicktator

I need a Vacation
Feb 11, 2006
Michigan
What do you do after something like that happens if you're not hurt, say fuck it and climb back up or fuck it and climb down.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
Wow.... He's lucky he kept his legs up during that slide. If one of those crampons caught, that's a snapped ankle if you are lucky. Full on cartwheel if you aren't.

Dude needs to practice his self arresting skills.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Wow.... He's lucky he kept his legs up during that slide. If one of those crampons caught, that's a snapped ankle if you are lucky. Full on cartwheel if you aren't.

It looked like he lost his ice axes. I was wondering why he wasn't trying to dig them into the ice as he was sliding.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
:53 fucking ow.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
It looked like he lost his ice axes. I was wondering why he wasn't trying to dig them into the ice as he was sliding.
If you watch before he falls, both axes have wrist retaining straps on them. Can't really see if they are on his wrists, but it looks like they are. Chances are, both axes were dragging down with him.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch

Saw this on the news. He did break a leg.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
Saw this on the news. He did break a leg.
Not surprising at all. He did a good job of keeping his feet up initially, but with all of that bouncing, he was bound to catch one of them. The hard plastic boots used will usually protect the ankle, but gives you a mid shin break.

I don't know if I would have been able to self arrest at that speed either. Whenever I am out, I always find a safe area to slide and practice self arresting while sliding on stomach/back both feet first and head first. Don't know if I would have the composure at that speed to do it.

One major mistake I saw there is that I looks like he stays on his back. First thing you are supposed to do is get on.your stomach. It makes it easier to keep your feet up and to he able to get to your axe.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
If you watch before he falls, both axes have wrist retaining straps on them. Can't really see if they are on his wrists, but it looks like they are. Chances are, both axes were dragging down with him.
I think he loses one at :39

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I had a friend who does a lot of mountaineering teach me some self-arrest techniques a few years back after snowboarding one day, just in case.

I don't get in that situation often, but I thought it would be good to know... especially since I'm considering climbing a mountain near here one of these years.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
How about this? Stay the fuck off mountains. That's not for you.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
There's cool shit up there.

Even more appealing... no black people.
And, believe it or not, black people are less likely to kill your ass. Theis nothing there worth dying to see.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
And, believe it or not, black people are less likely to kill your ass. Theis nothing there worth dying to see.
I'd rather die falling off the side of a mountain at 40 than to have someone changing my diaper at 80

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
Been talking about a trip to Rainier for a while. Gotta get serious about doing it soon

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
It's not that dangerous. You'll never see me hanging by a rope on some 3,000' cliff, but I have no issue with something I can walk/scramble up.

Been talking about a trip to Rainier for a while. Gotta get serious about doing it soon
That's on my list also.

I've been meaning to climb Mt Shasta for years, which is a fairly easy climb and only 5 hours from my house.