The Essential Guide To Dim Sum

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Most of this will be at the link, it's way too long to repost.

The Essential Guide To Dim Sum

Know exactly how to order thanks to this breakdown of 24 dishes, including photos and Chinese pronunciation.

Lucky Peach BuzzFeed Contributor

Email
Pin it​

Posted about 3 days ago
by Carolyn Phillips
FIRST, A QUICK HISTORY LESSON.

Nowadays, the term "dim sum" (點心 in written Chinese, and pronounced dian xin in Mandarin) is a meal—usually taken on a weekend morning—that encompasses a vast roster of small dishes selected from carts.

Source: lexnger
In the beginning, dim sum was a verb that merely meant “to eat a little something.” Cantonese dim sum culture began in tearooms in the latter half of the nineteenth century in the city of Guangzou, possibly because of the recent ban of opium dens. It spread and gained popularity—especially in nearby Hong Kong.

Source: roboppy
The sort of dim sum restaurant we’re familiar with today in the West originated in Hong Kong in the mid-1950s. These Hong Kong parlors had areas for banquets and even mah-jongg games, and carts pushed by “aunties” (a’sam).

Source: roboppy
HOW TO USE THE DIM SUM FIELD GUIDE

Regular patrons of North American dim sum restaurants will find most, if not all, of the selections pictured here familiar. Newcomers should find the illustrations—which have been grouped by their method of preparation and general type—helpful in identifying some of the more typical offerings. This arrangement will provide even first-time visitors to dim sum restaurants with access to field identification in a clear and rational array.

The first half of the Field Guide introduces steamed items; the second covers fried, baked, and sweet offerings. These general divisions have then been subdivided according to each dim sum’s predominant physical characteristics.

A common English name for the dim sum is given at the top, along with its pronunciation in both Mandarin and Cantonese Chinese; the characters for these are provided next to the English name, along with alternative standard Chinese names if such exist.

Each entry has its own photo and identifying characteristics are bolded in the text. Below each photo are symbols that offer additional guides to correctly recognizing, categorizing, and appreciating the various varieties of dim sum in this field guide; a key is provided below.

The text also provides aids to recognition through other means of depiction, including size, range, and color. All items originate from Guangdong Province, unless otherwise noted.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/luckypeach/the-essential-guide-to-dim-sum

I've never had Dim Sum, but now I want to.

Last edited:

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
Apr 6, 2005
I Will Pay Snakes To Bite You
We go once or twice a month. I could never live some place that did not have a large asian community near by.

P.S, Lucky Peach/Momofuku is probably my favorite cookbook. It's the only one I've ever seen where "Fuck" is the every third word and amazing recipes. Their first magazine devoted to ramen is excellent too.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Had Dim Sum in Philly China Town a couple of times. Absolutely loved it. Could live without the chicken feet though.