Movie The Eternals - Starring Angelina Jolie?!?!?

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Ok, I guess that’s something...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...olie-talks-make-marvel-debut-eternals-1197526

Jolie from 15 years ago would have made an awesome Sersi. I guess they could try to digitally de-age her and put some meat on her bones.
I think I saw you mention The Eternals in another thread....did I just miss this? Who the Hell are the Eternals?

Does Jolie play someone's grandma?

I hate to say "is this the best they can do?" after GotG was awesome, but I had at least heard of GotG.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I think I saw you mention The Eternals in another thread....did I just miss this? Who the Hell are the Eternals?

Does Jolie play someone's grandma?

I hate to say "is this the best they can do?" after GotG was awesome, but I had at least heard of GotG.
I don't know a whole lot about them. I think Jack Kirby created them to rip himself off after creating the New Gods for DC.

They appeared in a couple Avengers comics in the 80's and one of the main characters - Sersi - stayed on with the Avengers for what I think was actually a really long time. From like issue 246 all the way to issue 375. That's...(does math)...130 issues, or almost 11 years. That makes her one of the longest consecutively tenured Avengers...ever.

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple
I don't know a whole lot about them. I think Jack Kirby created them to rip himself off after creating the New Gods for DC.

They appeared in a couple Avengers comics in the 80's and one of the main characters - Sersi - stayed on with the Avengers for what I think was actually a really long time. From like issue 246 all the way to issue 375. That's...(does math)...130 issues, or almost 11 years. That makes her one of the longest consecutively tenured Avengers...ever.
There's a lot about the Eternals that I don't get.

Getting the obvious out of the way - I know Marvel can make weird choices with directors, but choosing a person whose most popular film is a sad drama about a brain damaged former rodeo star that probably didn't even make $1 million to do your space epic is weird even for them.

Secondly, I don't know anything about the Eternals. If I even heard of them - maybe in some deep deep cuts of Marvel history but probably not. Reading about them, they sound like C-tier Inhumans. And considering how Inhumans were considered C-tier X-Men...

LiddyRules

Here's a question @Pigdango . Do you think that the Eternals/Celestials were a big part of Guardians of the Galaxy 3? Because it seems weird that they'd throw us into the world without a tether to introduce them to us in the same way that Civil War gave us an in to Wakanda and Black Panther. And these characters don't seem nearly as fun as those.

Pigdango

Donator
Here's a question @Pigdango . Do you think that the Eternals/Celestials were a big part of Guardians of the Galaxy 3? Because it seems weird that they'd throw us into the world without a tether to introduce them to us in the same way that Civil War gave us an in to Wakanda and Black Panther. And these characters don't seem nearly as fun as those.
No I don’t. I think Guardians 3 was always intended to be our intro to Adam Warlock.

The Eternals seem intended to be their own franchise starter the way the Guardians were. I suspect they will eventually cross paths with the Avengers or Fantastic Four or both.

LiddyRules

No I don’t. I think Guardians 3 was always intended to be our intro to Adam Warlock.

The Eternals seem intended to be their own franchise starter the way the Guardians were. I suspect they will eventually cross paths with the Avengers or Fantastic Four or both.
But it worked with Guardians because they had Starlord as the Point of View Character. Even though he spent most of his life in space, he was still the relatable man-child. Does the Eternals have that in their own canon? Or can they add one without it becoming Starlord 2?

Pigdango

Donator
But it worked with Guardians because they had Starlord as the Point of View Character. Even though he spent most of his life in space, he was still the relatable man-child. Does the Eternals have that in their own canon? Or can they add one without it becoming Starlord 2?
In the comics, the Eternals live in secret, but Sersi is fascinated by Earth culture and frequently ventures out to live among the people. So I suppose they could introduce a regular Agent Coulson/Hill type person to serve as that POV character. I’ve also heard this movie will introduce Hercules, so he could be that person too? Maybe?

Not sure. The Eternals are a bit wacky, but I guess if they made Rocket and Groot work...

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
In the comics, the Eternals live in secret, but Sersi is fascinated by Earth culture and frequently ventures out to live among the people. So I suppose they could introduce a regular Agent Coulson/Hill type person to serve as that POV character. I’ve also heard this movie will introduce Hercules, so he could be that person too? Maybe?

Not sure. The Eternals are a bit wacky, but I guess if they made Rocket and Groot work...
Just spitballing, what about Sersi showing up in another movie by herself? Then using that appearance as a link, like BP in Civil War.

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
I’ve also heard this movie will introduce Hercules.
Hercules was one of my favorite Marvel characters.

Last I heard, they took his powers away and made him go back to his Greek days of ass sex. Thank god I wasn't around to see that.

I'll always remember him smashing robo-clone-Thor's head, fighting Ares, and giving the best thumbs up ever to his chinamen friend.

Pigdango

Donator
Just spitballing, what about Sersi showing up in another movie by herself? Then using that appearance as a link, like BP in Civil War.
I don’t hate the idea, but I don’t think they will have the time to do that. I think Eternals is the next MCU movie after Black Widow.

Pigdango

Donator
Hercules was one of my favorite Marvel characters.

Last I heard, they took his powers away and made him go back to his Greek days of ass sex. Thank god I wasn't around to see that.

I'll always remember him smashing robo-clone-Thor's head, fighting Ares, and giving the best thumbs up ever to his chinamen friend.

Hercules was one of my favorite Avengers when I was a kid.

LiddyRules

Unless they have an Eternal who is really crowd pleasing - and I don't think Angelina Jolie is that - a completely unconnected collection nigh invulnerable immortal beings, I'll say again - it reminds me of the Inhumans. And going from Black Widow to this without any entry point might turn people off. Which is why I think if GotG 3 would have come out when it did, it would have been our entry point into this area of the cosmos. Maybe they wouldn't have played a major role, but I think we would have learned about them through that movie.

Pigdango

Donator
Unless they have an Eternal who is really crowd pleasing - and I don't think Angelina Jolie is that - a completely unconnected collection nigh invulnerable immortal beings, I'll say again - it reminds me of the Inhumans. And going from Black Widow to this without any entry point might turn people off. Which is why I think if GotG 3 would have come out when it did, it would have been our entry point into this area of the cosmos. Maybe they wouldn't have played a major role, but I think we would have learned about them through that movie.
Millie Bobbie Brown is allegedly playing Sprite. I'm not sure if that's crowd pleasing or not.

The general setup for the Eternals and Inhumans is identical. An alien race did some genetic experimentation. Some of it went really well, some of it not so well. The Eternals and Inhumans are the chosen ones, the Deviants and the Alpha Primitives were banished for not being good enough. This makes it really hard to portray the Inhumans and Eternals in a sympathetic light, and it will be interesting to see how things play out. The Inhumans TV show did a particularly bad job with this, so hopefully they learned something from the mistakes they made there.

I've heard they are going to bring Starfox into this, so that means it's possible that Eternals is yet another Prequel, and this movie will delve into how the Eternals split off, with one faction led by A'lars living on Titan, and one on Earth. If I had to take an educated guess, they are going to reverse the origin story, and have the Eternals start off on Titan, and then colonize on Earth when Titan goes kaput. That means we get a Thanos origin movie out of this, and all the sudden it makes a whole lot more sense.

LiddyRules

Millie Bobbie Brown is allegedly playing Sprite. I'm not sure if that's crowd pleasing or not.

The general setup for the Eternals and Inhumans is identical. An alien race did some genetic experimentation. Some of it went really well, some of it not so well. The Eternals and Inhumans are the chosen ones, the Deviants and the Alpha Primitives were banished for not being good enough. This makes it really hard to portray the Inhumans and Eternals in a sympathetic light, and it will be interesting to see how things play out. The Inhumans TV show did a particularly bad job with this, so hopefully they learned something from the mistakes they made there.

I've heard they are going to bring Starfox into this, so that means it's possible that Eternals is yet another Prequel, and this movie will delve into how the Eternals split off, with one faction led by A'lars living on Titan, and one on Earth. If I had to take an educated guess, they are going to reverse the origin story, and have the Eternals start off on Titan, and then colonize on Earth when Titan goes kaput. That means we get a Thanos origin movie out of this, and all the sudden it makes a whole lot more sense.
To be completely honest - I don't care about a Thanos origin movie. And if Phase 4 is prequel prequel prequel, I think that could damage the MCU.

Pigdango

Donator
To be completely honest - I don't care about a Thanos origin movie. And if Phase 4 is prequel prequel prequel, I think that could damage the MCU.
I agree completely. You know how I feel about prequels. But if you're looking for a character to serve as an entry point into the Eternals, Thanos is a damn good choice.

LiddyRules

I agree completely. You know how I feel about prequels. But if you're looking for a character to serve as an entry point into the Eternals, Thanos is a damn good choice.
But unless it's part of End Game, Thanos won't be the entry point. Unless you're saying Eternals is the Thanos origin movie, which seems even more anti climactic.

Pigdango

Donator
Unless you're saying Eternals is the Thanos origin movie, which seems even more anti climactic.
That's pretty much what I was saying, and I agree. But if people were pissed off about the lack of an origin for stupid Snoke, they'd gladly fork over some bucks for a prequel that dives into Thanos' backstory a bit. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that's the direction they are going to go. Why else would they bring Starfox into the movie?

You may not know this, but Starfox is Thanos' brother.

LiddyRules

That's pretty much what I was saying, and I agree. But if people were pissed off about the lack of an origin for stupid Snoke, they'd gladly fork over some bucks for a prequel that dives into Thanos' backstory a bit. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that's the direction they are going to go. Why else would they bring Starfox into the movie?

LiddyRules

But we got the Thanos origin tale. That was sufficient. We got bollocks from Snoke.

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
But we got the Thanos origin tale. That was sufficient. We got bollocks from Snoke.
We know he likes red night gowns. That's something. Creepy old glitter man with a bunch of red dress lady boys.

EDIT: FYI, I did think Snoke was in a red dress and not his gold suit and tried to save and edit my joke. Mission not accomplished. I suck. Fuck all of you.

Last edited: