The first show canceled this year is...

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
"New Amsterdam"

The fox series which was being promoted a lot during the summer has been axed. They didn't even give it a shot. I guess the fourth place ratings they've been getting from "k Ville" is much better in some peoples minds.

So much for the story of a cop who has been immortal for the past 400 hundred years while he is destined to search for true love. I actually liked the pilot, don't know if it's something I'd watch, but it had some good elements.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
This doesn't count. It has to be a show that has aired at least once. We can't all be special and fancy like you.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I think it counts because they ran promos for it.

There's lots of shows axed after they get picked up but before they air, but it's very rare for them to have full promotional campaigns going for a while.

But yeah, I admit it's kind of a technicality.

Like I said in some other thread, I doubt any show is axed until the Writers Guild contract is figured out.

Nov 29, 2006
FL
I would have had my money on Cavemen being the first to go. Glad I'm not a gambler.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Damn..the show's premise looked interesting. Never saw anything about it in months though.

atxklown

Will you do me a Kindness
Jan 26, 2004
Austin TX
Hoo Hoo???
Is FOX's 'New Amsterdam' a Knock-off?

September 8, 2007

FOX' s upcoming drama, New Amsterdam, might not be so new after all.

Recently, best-selling author Peter Hamill told the Associated Press that the series, which is scheduled to premiere midseason, bears a great resemblance to his 2002 novel, Forever. Hamill's fans have also taken notice of the apparent similarities, though the writer does not seem eager to pursue the matter legally.

"To try and prove anything about this would take thousands and thousands of dollars, which I'd rather spend on my grandson," Hamill said. "You've gotta laugh."

To compare, the book and the series are each led by a character that was killed centuries ago and then brought back to life as an immortal. Hamill's protagonist, Cormac O'Connor, bears a scar from the fatal wound he sustained, while New Amsterdam's John Amsterdam has “scars everywhere… all over his torso and body,” according to a script acquired by Hamill's agent.

Both characters learn to play the piano, with O'Connor growing to love the work of legendary jazz player, Art Tatum. Amsterdam plays the piano as well, and is an avid fan of legendary jazz player, Thelonious Monk.

O'Connor's chances of getting normal life depends on finding the right woman amidst many in Manhattan, while Amsterdam will not age until he finds his soulmate.

Given the similarities, Hamill is convinced New Amsterdam is, indeed, taken from his book.

"It is astonishing. The scars. The fact that he plays piano,” Hamill told the Associated Press. In reading the script, he found page 58 particularly interesting. The page details a scene where the main character hands an envelope “for Eva.” A note on the script says the words will “blur into one and almost spell- FOREVER,” after which music will be played.

"I said, 'Holy jeez, talk about Freudian typos,'" Hamill recounted. "Hey, maybe this will sell the novel: 'You've seen the knockoff, now try the book.' Who knows?"

New Amsterdam's executive producer, David Manson, told television critics during the summer press tour that he has not read the book, and did not know of its existence until after they finished production.

"I guess what I think about it is this - the subject of immortality has been compelling to, since the dawn of time, various cultures," Manson said. "I think that it's not - it's not surprising that there will be overlaps in this world. That's all I can say."

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
You can watch a very similar show called "Moonlight" after Ghost Whisperer on Friday nights.

HateMyName

Functioning Psychotic
Oct 15, 2004
DC suburbs
If the show didn't air, it doesn't count as cancelled. Damn, I was looking foward to that show. I've heard comparisons to Moonlight and Forever Knight, which are about vampires. To me it sounded more like Highlander, one wisened immortal living in New York. And i like that history stuff.

I know Fox likes to cancel things without giving them a chance, but to not even bother airing it? They already paid for the episodes to be made, why not just air them? Even stupid Anchorwoman got to air one episode.

Stupid Fox.

Jables2002

Breaking Down The 8th Wall
Jul 1, 2005
Corona, CA
I know Fox likes to cancel things without giving them a chance, but to not even bother airing it? They already paid for the episodes to be made, why not just air them?
It may be they were forecasting its cancellation, and decided to not air it so people would not come to enjoy it and get pissed when it gets canceled. This way people will probably just forget about hearing about the show, and never notice. It makes them look better, but ironically it is the douchier move :)

I think it sounds better than Moonlight (blatant rip-off of a book or not), and I was actually looking forward to it. So FOX can suck a bag of dicks.